Dream Theater's Systematic Chaos

AngraRULES

Aug 1, 2002
Visit site
Short comments on their new album... If you don't wanna read or any spoilers, leave the thread...

I will be honest, I was expecting something a little different from this album.

HOWEVER,

It's a really good and solid record. They haven't written their best album in their career, but it's the best thing they've done since Scenes From a Memory hands down. John Petrucci's solos sound SOOO EMOTIVE!
Lots of new influences and experimentations (look Muse on the song Prophets of War, for instance). Forsaken has a real catchy chorus, it'd work well as the single. Repentance has an interesting idea used by Pain of Salvation with a really amazing Opeth vibe to it (and a little surprise later in the song). Dark Eternal Night and Constant Motion (the ones made available/leaked beforehand) grow by each listen. I'll leave the other songs out of this for you to listen for yourselves..

Dream Theater does a very good job again.

And by the way, I wonder if you guys will recognize the first line on Repentance... "Hello..."

I agree i think it's solid. Forsaken is a great song. I think they should try to get this on the radio. it reminds me a lot of Within Temptation, but with amazing guitar playing. I think I will definately listen to this record more than TOT and Octavarium. The production is way better than both those records IMO.

Can't wait to listen to this is surround sound.

Short comments on their new album... If you don't wanna read or any spoilers, leave the thread...

I will be honest, I was expecting something a little different from this album.

HOWEVER,

It's a really good and solid record. They haven't written their best album in their career, but it's the best thing they've done since Scenes From a Memory hands down. John Petrucci's solos sound SOOO EMOTIVE!
Lots of new influences and experimentations (look Muse on the song Prophets of War, for instance). Forsaken has a real catchy chorus, it'd work well as the single. Repentance has an interesting idea used by Pain of Salvation with a really amazing Opeth vibe to it (and a little surprise later in the song). Dark Eternal Night and Constant Motion (the ones made available/leaked beforehand) grow by each listen. I'll leave the other songs out of this for you to listen for yourselves..

Dream Theater does a very good job again.

And by the way, I wonder if you guys will recognize the first line on Repentance... "Hello..."

I'm intrigued by the PoS and Opeth references. Muse, however, was a huge influence on the last album and their new stuff is bad, so I hope DT doesn't abuse that influence.

I can't wait to get this album. From what I have heard so far, it seems that DT are steamrolling right along...

I am going to get the Special Edition with the 90 min. studio DVD.

SX will be the opening band for DT in Europe.

Truth > Fiction

The album Paradise Lost is bigger than Systematic Chaos, lol... at least in my opinion...

And also, don't take the fact they're opening as something that counts "who's better or who's more." For instance, In Flames had Sepultura as an opener once... Who's bigger around the world? If you say In Flames, you're on drugs...

The album Paradise Lost is bigger than Systematic Chaos, lol... at least in my opinion...

And also, don't take the fact they're opening as something that counts "who's better or who's more." For instance, In Flames had Sepultura as an opener once... Who's bigger around the world? If you say In Flames, you're on drugs...

In DT's case, it's fact. They have a fanbase 2nd to no other band in the prog metal genre. Other bands would die to have DT's following. They sit atop the genre and they did it by being the best at what they do. Like it or not...but you can't ignore it.
Didn't DT get placed in a headlining or co-headlining position recently with Heaven & Hell at a fest?
In Flames & Sepultura are not in my sphere so l have no clue as to their status.

You also have an opinion which differs from mine on SC & PL...it's a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful world.

In DT's case, it's fact. They have a fanbase 2nd to no other band in the prog metal genre. Other bands would die to have DT's following. They sit atop the genre and they did it by being the best at what they do. Like it or not...but you can't ignore it.
Didn't DT get placed in a headlining or co-headlining position recently with Heaven & Hell at a fest?
In Flames & Sepultura are not in my sphere so l have no clue as to their status.

You also have an opinion which differs from mine on SC & PL...it's a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful world.

Buddy, keep in mind that I know Dream Theater sits atop of the Prog Metal genre, I am not stupid... They deserve it, and whoever ignores this should be shot.

However, I meant to say that the album Paradise Lost by SX is of bigger quality than DT's Systematic Chaos. Yes, it's wonderful to have opinions that differ, but in this case it's almost like a given ;) hehehe.

Dream Theater got placed as a headlining slot over Heaven and Hell at a fest, I think Gods of Metal in Italy. They then decided to let H&H play the headlining slot for a matter of respect, if I'm not wrong.

And dude, come on... Not knowing about Sepultura in metal is like not knowing about Iron Maiden...