Drop F 5150

nothing i can complain about it at all dude. you've nailed your sound or particular aesthetic if you will and at this point any choices you make at mix time are a matter of it just being 'brian hood's' thing. you know, how top mixers do stuff differently mix to mix. some love, some hate, but in the end you know the dude did it on purpose and it was no mistake or 'flaw'.

maybe confusing?

i love how crystal clear yet huge your mixes sound. still a single 57 and mesa thru your 003/API? care to share settings on this?

nothing i can complain about it at all dude. you've nailed your sound or particular aesthetic if you will and at this point any choices you make at mix time are a matter of it just being 'brian hood's' thing. you know, how top mixers do stuff differently mix to mix. some love, some hate, but in the end you know the dude did it on purpose and it was no mistake or 'flaw'.

maybe confusing?

i love how crystal clear yet huge your mixes sound. still a single 57 and mesa thru your 003/API? care to share settings on this?

actually not confusing at all haha.

Here are the amp settings

pre-3.5
low-8
mid-2.5
high-6.9
post-3.15
res-7.2
pres-7.1

Maxon OD808
Overdrive- 8:50 O'clock
Tone- 1 O'Clock
Balance- 1 O'Clock

Just a single sm57 on my mesa cab.

doesnt even sound that low to me, good stuff! bass on the same octave ?

Bass was an octave below guitars. I ordered a single .145 steel bass string for this haha.

the mix need more 200 hz area .. its realy missing
the snare is over the mix too much imo , make it pop but inside the mix

imo you need to work on this bass tone again , the mix is a little lost with energy

the mix need more 200 hz area .. its realy missing
the snare is over the mix too much imo , make it pop but inside the mix

imo you need to work on this bass tone again , the mix is a little lost with energy
Agreed, it sounds a bit hollow in high bass area. Sounds good otherwise.

I dig man, I dig. Good stuff.

Only criticism I can make is that I personally wish you would make the drum sounds more 'your own' and less the typical Slate thing flying around the genre (even if the drums aren't Slate, they sound it). I totally dig CJ's comment though, but for me it seems like the drum sounds are the least unique thing at present in your work, and taking charge there will really help you stand out as an individual. Just IMO!

Good stuff on the tones as always. If I get anymore -core work (as rare as it is) I'll have to swing some reamping work up your way.

Just tried to listen, and the link is dead...

.145 sounds still too small for all the way down to F. I have I think a .135 on my bass for Ab and it's too loose. I need to get a .145 to replace it.

Just tried to listen, and the link is dead...

.145 sounds still too small for all the way down to F. I have I think a .135 on my bass for Ab and it's too loose. I need to get a .145 to replace it.

Yea i agree. I have a 135 on my bass for drop B and that is nice and tight.

Brian did you find your self auto tunning bass parts a lot?

Excellent work brian. Man im digging these mixes u guys are throwing up here lately. That 5150 tone is gnarly man. Suit's this mix like a glove. Are you doing any post-processing on these killer tones brian besides the hp/lp?

sorry dudes! I reorganized the folder and the link stopped working. Check it now.

I dig man, I dig. Good stuff.

Only criticism I can make is that I personally wish you would make the drum sounds more 'your own' and less the typical Slate thing flying around the genre (even if the drums aren't Slate, they sound it). I totally dig CJ's comment though, but for me it seems like the drum sounds are the least unique thing at present in your work, and taking charge there will really help you stand out as an individual. Just IMO!

definitely noted dude! I am aware of this as well. Unfortunately i haven't had a lot of time to experiment with drum tones lately. Fortunately the general population isnt quite as tired of hearing the same ol' slate samples as we are :lol:

also, here is another song by the same band. a little different sounding.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/536384/AS Hell Retreats/mix 1/Song 7.mp3

First song has amazing atmospheric guitars, really like the guitar sound.
The second song is good as well.
Good mix in general, good band too!

those vocals at the beginning of this new one are so annoying. sick mix though, I'm really digging it! guitars sound great

Nah I think they're good man.