Drudkh: Microcosmos

Hubster

Oct 29, 2003
Bondi Australia
So, what are people's thoughts regarding this? Here are my thoughts:

microcosmos.jpg

For those who haven't moved on since Blood In Our Wells, it's about time you start to move on.

Microcosmos takes a combination of Drudkh's evolvement and combines it into what I consider an almost new, very mature sound. In some senses it is less aggressive than previous releases, but this is not a detraction of any kind. Read: it is still VERY Drudkh, unmistakably so.

Imagine the beautiful chord progressions and subtle ambience of Autumn Aurora, the more complex moments from Blood In Our Wells, and finally some of the gorgeous tonal colour and textured bass playing from Estrangement now counterpointing and interweaving through the songs. Add to this some longer arpeggiated passages moving at a gradual, yet "right" pace, some stronger 'cultural' chord progressions, and take off some aggression, replace with a higher sense of spirituality - now you have Microcosmos.

I feel a sense of experimentation and transience within the band with this latest output, and also that of Estrangement, but it is not negative in my opinion. Microcosmos will certainly create some polarity in the Drudkh fanbase, have no doubt. This record is a positive progression, and it sees Drudkh becoming masters of the kind of craft.

Very nice, digest slowly, assess acutely.

Well, I'm of the same opinion although I couldn't have said it quite as eloquently as you sir, a great release indeed... I was certainly surprised as the last left me torn.

I haven't heard this yet. I was bitterly disappointed with their direction after 'Autumn Aurora' which I still maintain is one of the greatest black metal albums of all time. It seems like they tried to incorporate Hate Forest into their sound instead of keeping the two separate. People are raving about 'Microcosm' though, so maybe I'll check it out.

Or maybe leaving 'Forgotten Legends' and 'Autumn Aurora' on repeat in my c.d player is enough to deal with the lonely, dark evenings of an isolated and broken soul.