Elite 8 Results (RC March Metal Madness)

I find that rather bizarre, personally. I personally couldn't give a shit how revolutionary an album is if it sucked to my ears.

I find that rather bizarre, personally. I personally couldn't give a shit how revolutionary an album is if it sucked to my ears.

yeah of course. I mean I totally recognize how 'revolutionary' the early Dream Theater albums were but I don't like them

To me, defining the quality of the album is probably made up of a number of qualities:

1 - how much it kicks ass
2 - its level of utter genius / uniqueness
3 - relevant-to-redundant ratio

If the album doesn't fulfill (1), then it's not of much use to me

If an album fulfills all 3, then it's possibly in my top 10/20 albums of all time

If an album ONLY fulfills (1) then it's probably just a guilty pleasure of mine :D

So an album can kick less ass than another album but still be higher on the pecking order if it's more original? I don't know, I guess I just find originality to be overrated, and that if my top 10 or whatever is made up of original albums, it's purely by coincidence. And by that I mean if those same albums were recorded last year, knowing all of the history that came before them, I would like to think that they would still hold the same position in my list. I hope you understand what I mean. But yeah, I can definitely see where you're coming from, I don't want to seem like I'm just nit-picking, I just found what you said interesting.

So an album can kick less ass than another album but still be higher on the pecking order if it's more original?

No I don't think so. I don't really have it down to a science because there's probably other small factors that come into it, such as "nostalgia" or "sentimental" value. Or maybe it just reminds me of something nice.

That said, each of those attributes I listed would have equal weighting, so two albums could kick equal ass, but if one was more original that the other then it would be higher up in the pecking order.

I'm laughing at myself btw. :lol:

I don't know, I guess I just find originality to be overrated, and that if my top 10 or whatever is made up of original albums, it's purely by coincidence. And by that I mean if those same albums were recorded last year, knowing all of the history that came before them, I would like to think that they would still hold the same position in my list. I hope you understand what I mean. But yeah, I can definitely see where you're coming from, I don't want to seem like I'm just nit-picking, I just found what you said interesting.

Yeah, that's cool. :kickass:

EDIT: And note, "originality" isn't too important to me either. Something can still be "unique" and not necessarily all that original. Lots of doom bands are examples of this, such as Warning or Solstice.

Sure, everybody does the same though. It's just that everyone also has a different interpretation of what "better" is.

:confused:

There are no degrees or conditions of liking an album better from my point of view. I love The August Engine, but simply love Phoenix Rising more, it has nothing to do with anything other than which I'd rather listen to more often. Doesn't matter how simplistic/complex the arrangements are, doesn't matter how evolutionary/revolutionary/copycat/etc. the musicianship and songwriting are, it's simply what I dig more.

I like water ice better than asparagus because it tastes better. That's it.

There are no degrees or conditions of liking an album better from my point of view. I love The August Engine, but simply love Phoenix Rising more, it has nothing to do with anything other than which I'd rather listen to more often.

yeah that doesn't work for me at all. Wanting to listen to something more often than something else doesn't necessarily make it "better" to me.

the reality is, I'm probably more likely to listen to "guilty pleasures" more often than anything else. Call it 'easy listening'. I think a distinction can be made between 'elite' and 'easy listening'.

EDIT: actually, the more I think about it, I can say with absolute certainty that some of my favoUrite albums of all time are very rarely played: Skepticism's "Stormcrowfleet", Empyrium's "Weiland", and Morgion's "Solinari". They're very draining and exhaust me completely, unlike, say Europe's "Out of this World" or Rhapsody's "Dawn of Victory". I can throw those fuckers on any hour of the day.

yeah, Negura Bunget should win this contest IMO. Yet, I barely ever listen to it.

if the fucking mantle wins over primordial and negura and d666, lurch is right, this forum is pink.

This forum already sucks for booting Pagan Altar and The Chasm. And Repugnant. And fucking WARNING. God damnit.

WTF is water ice?

Are you talking about Iced Water you 'kin immigrant? :tickled:

LOL, must be a regional difference or something, it's probably the same thing (i.e. soda vs. pop):

DSC_5078.jpg

waterice(1).JPG

WTF...So its not Iced Water. You're talking about Italian Ice, I think.

Iced Water = simply water with ice in it to be cold.
Italian Ice = Flavored ice that you scrape away at.