Results: RC March Metal Madnesss Final 4

:lol:

I'm not sure what's more alarming:

- that The Mantle isn't even close to being the greatest album this decade (and believe me, I LIKE The Mantle)

- or that The Mantle winning was just so fucken predictable and that this entire tournament was a bit...what's the word....REDUNDANT? :loco:

leave that fucking band out of the next one. or at least put up their best album, PF. it's more desrving to win.

but yeah, leave the band out

ah, gotchas, leave the band out. we'll just use the excuse that they are more or less post rock with harsh vocals and annoying noise outros :loco:

I'm curious to know, just how much crystal meth must one do to come out the other end think D666's Phoenix Rising is one of the top two discs of the current decade?

I personally don't feel that it is, but I do like it better than every disc that it's gone up against so far in the tournament (and that will include Agalloch).

Basically for me it's made it through on that basis.

It sure seems like it generates a strong opinion in either direction. Pretty damn interesting. I don't find it groundbreaking in any way, but it's extremely solid aggressive metal that gets my blood flowing in a pure :headbang: :headbang: way.

Jason

Phoenix Rising was influential in that it seamlessly melded fist-pumping death-thrash with an atmospheric sensibility and melodic underpinnings generally found in black metal. But that's not why I've voted for it every step of the way – I voted for it because it kicks fucking ass. It's energetic and physical without being dumb, and it can be challenging if I try to sift through the underlying melodies; and if I don't feel like challenging myself, I can just bang my fucking head.

PS i'm not on meth, really.

Phoenix Rising was influential in that it seamlessly melded fist-pumping death-thrash with an atmospheric sensibility and melodic underpinnings generally found in black metal. But that's not why I've voted for it every step of the way – I voted for it because it kicks fucking ass. It's energetic and physical without being dumb, and it can be challenging if I try to sift through the underlying melodies; and if I don't feel like challenging myself, I can just bang my fucking head.

Good post. I actually agree - that said, even if I didn't agree, it would still be a good post. :)

I do, however, think there were at least 10 other albums better than Phoenix Rising in this tournament, as highlighted in the sticky thread. I suppose it goes to show that it's been a pretty good decade thus far!

One thing that metal has going for it this decade is less disruptive 'distraction' from nu-metal and grunge -- something that the 90's suffered from I think. Today there seems to be less confusion, less need for strict definitions, and bands now might be feeling a little more freedom in their creativity. And the decade aint even over yet.

Still, it'll be interesting to see this tournament run again with bands from the 90's and see what that list looks like.

Phoenix Rising was influential in that it seamlessly melded fist-pumping death-thrash with an atmospheric sensibility and melodic underpinnings generally found in black metal.
I'm not sure it can be called influential, until it actually influences another quality band. I'm not sure who that band is, who took what D666 did and built upon it or even copied their style.

Zod

True, but we were voting given the matchups, not for which album was better overall. Had the matchups been different the outcome would have been different, and given the competition that D666 and Agalloch were up against it was tough to see any other outcome.

That's why I started the sticky thread, Nick. :D

EDIT: Not that it will formalize the results or whatever, it'll just be interesting to see how things turn out different. :loco:

I'm pretty sure Destroyer 666 has had massive influence on the Australian scene, for whatever that's worth.

However, aside from maybe 5 or so albums in this tournament, none of them would probably even make my top 25 of the decade. I don't think D 666 would be one of them.

:lol:

Clearly.

EDIT - @ JayKeeley's comment

:tickled:

...but actually, I'm serious. At times, Primordial sounds like a very slowed down, epic SWEEPING version of D666, at least in their chord progressions. I've seen Nemtheanga refer to this himself at least in contrast to when people suggest that Primordial are 2nd wave BM.

That's what makes the prospect of Alan and Warslut working together all the more titillating. In theory, at least, it should be a good partnership. :cool:

...but actually, I'm serious. At times, Primordial sounds like a very slowed down, epic SWEEPING version of D666, at least in their chord progressions.
In much the same way, there are moments, where if you removed all the uncommon elements, you can hear Poison's influence on Moonsorrow. Granted, not on the latter discs, but on Voimasta ja Kunniasta, it's as clear as pea soup. More specifically, if you listen closely, the similarities between Kylän Päässä and Unskinny Bop, are truly not astonishing.

Zod