Drug testing in America

The really fucked up thing about drug testing, for probation or otherwise, is that weed is one of the few substances that actually stays in your system for any length of time. I have known people that got caught with a little weed, then they are ordered to pay a fine and have say 6 months of probation, getting piss tested once or twice a month. Since they can't smoke weed anymore, they turn to other drugs, the ones that only stay in your system for a few days, such as coke, meth, assorted pills, etc. I like to party as much as the next guy, but I know if I'm going in for a job its time to quit for a little while, and if I ever get caught (which I haven't, knock on wood!), then I would certainly stop smoking until my probation was over.

Its the same thing with a lot of jobs. There are a lot of jobs dealing with construction, electrical work, any manual labor really that require a piss test, so the guys that do it just drink beer all fucking day and do coke and meth on the job, and I certainly don't want to be in a structure built under those conditions lol. I've experimented with the hard stuff when I was younger, and I've worked like that before, so I know how it can really fuck things up. Really, the whole thing has just become out of hand. People can't handle alcohol in the states like they can in Europe, in most cases anyway. I think everyone has the right to do whatever they want to take the edge off of life, and I certainly think, well fuck I know, that drinking has a more adverse effect on our bodies. Don't get me wrong, it doesn't stop me from getting shitfaced most nights of the week while enjoying a little smokey smoke, but I just don't see why drinking is so much more acceptable, especially since I do both.

Anyone who generalizes higher-ups in a company as "Corporate suits and ties" and people in starting positions as "lowly peons" is just pissed because they're not higher-ups, and apparently can't sack up enough to move up the company ladder towards one of those positions.

Awe..what an adorable little power monger. Did daddy teach you that when he gave you a Porsche Boxter for your 16th birthday? Don't generalize my generalizations it makes you sound like an elitist little prick.

Awe..what an adorable little power monger. Did daddy teach you that when he gave you a Porsche Boxter for your 16th birthday? Don't generalize my generalizations it makes you sound like an elitist little prick.

I gotta agree with TD. I know people who are those "suits" and i know the "peons", the "peons" that lack the skill sets needed to move up in said job are usually the ones whining about the "suits". But in reality if they spent less time bitching and more time focusing on what needs to be done than they would be a "suit" one day themselves. You can do/be whatever you want in this world. But shit ain't free, and you have to be willing to work for it.

Aww can't come up with anything but an ad hominem argument? Starting to see more clearly why you're such a champion of the "peons."

Okay so your country states it's legal for you to know if this person has smoked pot...

Legal to *ask*, yes. Also to ask their name, date of birth, social security number, education and employment histories, marital status, etc. They don't have to answer; they can just back out of the application process.

Is it also fair that they employ someone to follow you when you're out and about or when you're drunk in a club or going through your garbage bin, judging every move you make? I think you'd agree that is an invasion of privacy and what people do in their free time is not a matter for work unless you're out committing heinous crimes.

Pre-employment drug testing would only be an invasion of privacy if it were done without the applicant's knowledge or consent. It isn't. They aren't being forced to walk in off the street and ask the company to hire them, they aren't being forced to surrender their urine, blood or hair samples... they can say no anytime they like, just as a company can say no to hiring them at that point.