Drum Dial

jeid

Terribad
Mar 9, 2009
Scotland
Been thinking about picking up a drum dial, I've read about it and asked some drummers about it, just wondering if any of the guys here have much experience with them? I'm ok at tuning drums, but I wonder how much this would help.

Been thinking about picking up a drum dial, I've read about it and asked some drummers about it, just wondering if any of the guys here have much experience with them? I'm ok at tuning drums, but I wonder how much this would help.

Ok let me preface this whole rant by saying that I actually own 2 drum dials (one was left at the studio).....

First off, I hate the design. The stupid metal tab that you need to make sure you're far enough away from the rim should of been permanently attached.

I find the drum dial good at getting the head on initially. Making sure it's seated properly and you have reasonably even tension before cranking it up is good to keep the head from warping. I do find that it's tough to actually tune a drum with it. I prefer to just go by feel, and tapping on the head. too many times I'd get all the lugs the same reading, go around a few more times to check, then I'd hit the thing and all the readings would be different.

So yeah, good starting point but don't rely on it.

I have the Tama Tension Watch. From what I've heard from others, most people prefer it over the Drum Dial.

I usually tune drums by ear... when it sounds good, it is good.

I have a Drum Dial and the Tama Tension Watch. I like the Drum Dial more (the Tension Watch has no spacer, which is a pain) but neither of them really do that great of a job. Like others said, they're useful for getting the drum into the ballpark, but it's not much harder to get a drum in the ballpark manually if you're patient and have a bit of practice. Spend the time to learn how to tune a drum by ear and you'll KILL the results you get with the Tension Watch/Drum Dial/Torque Key/etc.

Here's how I use mine - First I tune the drum by ear. Once I get it sounding decent, I go around with the drum dial to even up the little differences in lug tension. I can usually get things real close by ear nowadays. Where the drum dial comes in real handy, is when I need to change snare heads on a session, I just take notes of where it was at, and re-create those with the drum dial. Gets me close to where I was and then I fine tune it further from there. I think it's worth the $50 or whatever I paid for it.

There are really only 2 uses for a DrumDial/Tension watch. I use my Tension watch to:
1) make sure the head is seated and tensioned evenly before I start tuning and
2) make sure the head is at the same tension at all of the lugs after tuning by ear.

Once you get good at using it it really speeds up getting an even head tension and killing wierd rings/overtones. It's agreat tool with very limited use.

There are really only 2 uses for a DrumDial/Tension watch. I use my Tension watch to:
1) make sure the head is seated and tensioned evenly before I start tuning and
2) make sure the head is at the same tension at all of the lugs after tuning by ear.

Once you get good at using it it really speeds up getting an even head tension and killing wierd rings/overtones. It's agreat tool with very limited use.

yeah thats how I use it and it's awesome. always tune by ear then just use it to get everything fine tuned and even. once I feel its good by ear I go around and check all the tensions around the drum. and usually most of the numbers are close so I go with what most of them are at and adjust the others to match. totally kills weird rings and just lets the drum sing more.

In a live/tech situation I can see where it would be useful too. especially if you are using the same brand/series heads all tour. once you get it dialed in write down all the tensions.... then from there on out you could change heads quickly and get back to where they are supposed to be at fast.