Drum eq before or after parallel compression?

20Mg

when september comes
Aug 5, 2009
http://benvesco.com/tonemonster/category/drums/
This site is very useful imo, but according to that article i can just slap a parallel compression into the drum track as oppose to individual track( kick snare toms etc ) ? would that be a common thing? and also eq after parallel compression? is that common? i have received advise tat u should do an eq before using parallel compression. Me uses Superior 2.0. Come on pros, make a smart man out of me before me wife sinks her teeth into my already fragile state of sanity :kickass:

xoxo

In metal it is more common to parallel compress individual drums. but using nyc compression on the whole drum bus can be useful.

its not unheard of to eq after compression.

the only way to know is to record some drums and try it yourself.

use your ears bra!

on an unrelated note, i dreamt that i was playing handball with the president of indonesia last night. that was wtf?
he was pretty good though.

beyond dead: thx buddy im doing just that but i think my ear has been damaged by the loud moaning sound my wife made last night when we were having sexy time. Damn being awesome is hard sometimes. Nonetheless i will do an a/b comparison tonight. Before sexy time ofcoz.

20mg you're batshit insane dude hahaha
you're obviously a genius in disguise

On a more related note..
Don't feel like you HAVE to parallel compress. There's some mixes where I've used parallel comp and it degraded the mix rather than enhanced it. I've done drum mixes where there was no parallel comp that sounded WAY bigger than my mixes WITH it, so focus on getting things sounding as close as you can get them to sound without it first, and then use parallel comp to add to it somewhat.

If you're going for a more natural vibe though. Maybe mixing pop rock album or something with much more dynamics, use parallel comp as liberally as you fucking want dude. Compress the main drum tracks less, and blend in plenty of your smashed drum tracks and you'll get the natural feel and that oh so pleasant slightly over-compressed, slightly pumpy sound all in one package.

I use it on vocals without question every mix though. I don't use it on guitars, and very rarely on bass.

Hello my beloved xrateddodo <3
Thank you for taking the time for the lengthy reply. Now when u mentioned blending a slightly compressed drum track ( 1 ) and a heavily compressed drum track ( 2 ), Does that mean its 2 drum tracks ( 1 from the normal track and the other one via AUX ) Is this statement correct? ahh theres so many variables to consider. Trying to understand mixing is like trying to understand the female species. Give her the right touch and she'll ride u like a beast. Give her the wrong one, and she'll fuck u like a bitch.

Trying to understand mixing is like trying to understand the female species. Give her the right touch and she'll ride u like a beast. Give her the wrong one, and she'll fuck u like a bitch.

That's very well put.

me and my mixes are trapped in the 50's
if the bitch doesnt do as i say, it gets the slipper
then it will sure as hell do as i say

i basically wear the pants in this relationship :headbang:

edit: forgot teh on topic lolol
yeah
your regular drum track and an aux blended in

What kind of sick fuck uses a slipper?
you need a belt for that.

anyway Thx dodo tats sumthing new ill try tonight. cheers buddy!

I only just starting using parallel compression recently (to be fair I've only starting learning about AE not long ago) and I'm liking the results, really helped to bring out the attack in my kick, snares and toms.
I use EQ after parallel compression, it seems to sound fine to me. As long as you can EQ stuff for good levels of attack, I think it'll work fine.