Drum heads

In my experience pinstripes are the choice of a lot of drumers for their rehearshall duties. They state they´re stonger and last longer than the other Remo models and also have a very low ring/harmonic.
I personally don´t like them at all in studio situation.
To me, they seem to have less ring (before, I'd have to use rings or moongels on some of the toms to tame it, now they sound great with just the heads) and more warmth, the lowend is a little deeper and they overall just tend to resonate a bit better. Also - They seem to last a lot longer than the clear heads do. The only bad thing is, they get random black marks on them - I still can't figure out where these are coming from, cause nothing I hit them with is black

Thanks for the info!

Thanks for all the tips. I think I'm going to try clear batter heads for my Recording Customs next, see how it works out.

Great topic by the way! There's a lot of good info for anyone interested in recording real drums, and in my case drummers as well. Haven't had a lot of chances to renew all my heads so I never learnt a lot about them.

Not sure if you realize... Evans has been the #1 recommended brand so far in the thread (Genera Dry/HD Dry, G2 and G1 = Evans). ;)

It may have been I who wasn't clear... I actually meant I'm surprised Remo isn't as common as I thought. I've been using Remo all this time and haven't really given a second thought to Evans, but this thread made me think otherwise.

after a fair amount of trying all sorts of different things.....

nothing has beaten clear emperors on toms for me. the black ones arent bad, but VERY deep and dull sounding. if they can afford new ambassadors for the tom res heads, then the toms really pop out and sound killer.

powerstroke III for kick, used a black one of them recently which was pretty cool.....

snare controlled sound im always happy with - if the band wants a dryer sound then genera HD.