Drum Processing

setyouranchor

Celestial Recordings
May 17, 2010
North Wales, UK
Im quite new to recording drums, I want to move away from programming them!

I just wanted to ask a simple question about the process after all the drums have been edited.

Once you have quantized, mixed, blended, sampled, whatever! To save CPU, would you then bounce your final drum mix as a WAV and import back as a seperate project and record the rest of the band?

If this is the case, what would happen if you needed to add more reverb to snare? More compression to the kick? Would you simply open up the original drum files project you have previously saved, make neccessary changes and bounce again?

Thanks in advance

I have a computer that's fast enough to throw anything at it. That's the route I would go tbh. If I would do it the route your discribing I would waste more time bouncing the drums than actually mixing them.

Ah I get it. So make all the changes you need to all the drum tracks > bounce in place > then freeze all the original files which have the effects running to free up some CPU?

When I bounce in place, will all the drums still have the effect sends from busses etc applied to them?

a dialogue will display a myriad of settings when you choose "bounce in place" ...i will assume that you can articulate that information here.

*i don't use logic... but i became a certified instructor for logic about five months ago... the studio i work at payed for it so, i am now a compendium of useless information. :lol:

Ok dude thanks a lot! I'll try it out :)

But thats the route you would take as far as drum processing during each song?

I guess its just finding the method which works best for you, but I wanted to find the most effcient and keep the best sound quality I could!

Oh, and one more thing, might seem a nooby question but I have to ask, what do people mean when they say "print" drums?

i use pro tools. so no... i don't mix my drums like that. i just mix everything (alltogether) in pro tools.

sometimes i will generate 'stems' (mono/stereo internal layback) for more detailed mixing.

"print" is referring to an internal layback of the audio. an internal layback is when you assign/combine multiple outputs to a single mono/stereo track in your daw. "layback" is the proper nomenclature. the term "print" was old-school lingo for laying music or audio onto tape... as in: "magnetically printing domains onto ferric/chromium oxide tape."

I normally just track the rest of the band to the click if the drums aren't tight enough, and leave all the editing for later.

If the drums are tight enough then I just throw up the faders so that everything can be heard and then get on with tracking

I save mixing, sample replacing etc for the mix, not doing it in the middle of tracking.

Awesome bro! Very detailed explanation :D thank you!

So, printing drums is when you take different sections, say kick, snare and toms, and have those 3 sections as one track?

Awesome bro! Very detailed explanation :D thank you!

So, printing drums is when you take different sections, say kick, snare and toms, and have those 3 sections as one track?

It would be more like bouncing your snare track with compression and eq applied.

Ah ok I get it now! Its like what tim mentioned earlier, apply all processing, effects etc, then bounce or "print" the track and freeze the original track?

i am now a compendium of useless information.[/I] :lol:
fail.

j/k....

Im pretty sure that Rendering to stem is the same as "printing", since it creates a duplicate of the track along with any FX set on that track....and it also makes rendering the entire song MUCH faster with the FX rendered onto the tracks.

Im pretty sure that Rendering to stem is the same as "printing", since it creates a duplicate of the track along with any FX set on that track....and it also makes rendering the entire song MUCH faster with the FX rendered onto the tracks.

it is... i am just not sure of the method in reaper.