Drum tracking (video)

Jan 10, 2005
Some of you may remember a band that I recorded a while back last year called Abhorrent. They are recording with me again right now. They have finished the drums and next up is guitars. This is the second time I've tracked drums at my house. The audio is from what was recorded to disk, not from the camera. Not really mixed yet or anything either, scratch guitars, etc. Thought you guys would like to see the drummer doing his thang. Anyway:

~006

I am not sure when everything will be completely finished. We are hoping ASAP. We're about to start tracking the guitars tonight. Next thing is bass after that and then vocals...then it's time to reamp the guitars and really dial in the tone. Then mix the fuck out of it and then it's done.

I'm taking video of the guitar tracking also. Hopefully I can put together a nice video of the second project ever recorded entirely at my house :)

~006

It is a Tama 14" wood-rim snare. It sounds fucking awesome and I have been trying to get him to let me sample it :lol: The wooden rim is really what makes the snare sound so awesome, it adds some color/character to it.

The rest of the kit is a nice ass Mapex 7-piece.

~006

pretty sick drumming mikey!

Haha, I wish I could play drums like that. I'm limited to like...Weezer/GreenDay stuff :( But, he made a mistake bringing his kit over because it's never going to leave! :lol:

~006

Yessir. But just the left china and the crash that is center/right...and I think maybe the little splash in between the crash and right china is split a little too. The two splashes, other china, ride and both left and right hi-hats are fine, just worn. And the tom heads are really worn out. The kick heads look and sound good, but we triggered them anyway, and the snare got a brand new head right before we started recording. Cymbals are all weathered but IMO sound pretty good still. Definitely losing some body and sustain with chunks missing, but fuck it.

~006

Yeah guys the Promo is finished. You will have to check out my MySpace or the band's MySpace for clips of it. Otherwise I have a clip of the *almost* final mix for song #3 in this thread that is a 192 mp3 instead of shitty MySpace stream quality. There will be an updated clip tonight of the actual final mix, just updating the link in that thread.

Also, the kick is just two Dissection kick samples blended together, one is pitched down .5 cents and the other .73 cents, then the kick tracks are sent to a stereo bus with a compressor on it to make it fat and even. I can probably make a sample of it tonight as well. We'll see.

~006