Drumkit from hell EZX in a couple of weeks

Torniojaws said:
Replacing the snare isn't really my type, as Drumagog'ed snare rolls sound like utter shit even at best compared to what I can do with EzDrummer straight away :loco:

If you only blend a relative small portion of a Drumagog snare with the majority of the EZD snare you still get the benefits of the great velocity and sound variations with EZD just as you would blend only a portion of the snare with a real drummer. If you replace the whole thing, well yeah....it will probably sound like utter shit.

I've got EZD and DFHS - just waiting on the Intel version to be release, but I'm curious.

With the DFH add-on, will you be able to customize the kit like in DFHS? Say I only wanted 4 toms, 2 crashes, 2 splashes, a ride, hat, and china? Are you able to do that or are you just stuck working around the other cymbals?

miche said:
so you guys are telling me that i should consider buying that ezdrummer thing, even though I own dfhs?

I wouldn't, as EzDrummer is just a "simpled out" version of DFHS. The samples are pre-processed so you don't need to (or can't ;) ) do much to them yourself to really sculpt the sounds.

But if DFHS seems overkill to you, then by all means. I know I enjoy EzDrummer for the instantaneous good-soundingabilityness :lol: and "unfamiliar" samples, as you can tell it's DFH from any recording that uses DFH, while Ez isn't so widely used/known yet ;)

The only things that aren't so good about stock Ez are the cymbals, or more the lack of them. There practically is only one (1) cymbal + a simple splash-style crash and ride crash hit, but neither sound good for metal. Same thing for the hihat--I actually think there's some error on it, as it sounds more like a closed hihat that is struck really hard, instead of a normal hihat sound.

See how i like the DFHS cymbals, i would just load up a DFHS project file with cymbals only, and use the rest of the EZ kit to combine the two...

You can still use samples on the EZdrummer kick and snare and toms right?

Ok so misconceptions about EZD already...yes, you can only select what you WANT to use on the kit, like DSS3 asked, you can have a snare, 4 toms, a ride, and 4 crashes if that's all you want. There are drop down menus for each slot (just like DFHS' GUI) that let you select from a list of instruments, or if you'd like, none. You can save that kit so that you don't have to re-do the kit every time you open a project with EZD, again, just like DFHS.

Tornio, I thought this too about the hats. I can almost bet you are using the GM map. Use the EZD drum map and you get 3 or 4 more hi-hat keys to trigger with. 3 different styles of open hats, plus the three you get when you use GM, and one other one as well. I thought I was missing something when I was using the GM map...I was. The EZD map opens up a few more things to use when programming the MIDI.

As of right now, I'm writing an entire album for my blues-rock band, and I'm going to use EZD for everything except OH's...which is where DFHS comes in. However, I'm completely confident that when the DFH add-on comes out I'll be using EZD exclusively. The cymbals/ride are the only things I don't like about EZD (due to lack of the options, plus the sounds) in the stock/initial version.

~e.a

see.jpg

As you can see...using the EZD Map gives you a layout just like DFHS.

~e.a

So is this EZDrummer easy to use. I mean I can't really make a beat more than 8 bars without it sounding really redundant and I have no ideas fill wise. I currently use Acoustica beatcraft, maybe that's my problem.

EZD is easy as hell to use man. 8000 loops (including tons of fills)...should keep you occupied and writing music in a much quicker manner.

~e.a

So you can pick a fill and put it where you want, is it pretty much "cut and paste" if you will? With beatcraft you have to "write" your beats and fills so you have to have drumming experience or else you're screwed so to speak.

I never actually sat behind a drumset before I used DFHS, and then a little while afterwards I actually got the chance to but before then I was making beats with DFHS really easily. I guess that just comes naturally to certain people though.

~e.a

EZD has no bounce function, and no separate cymbals channels. It also does not have the option to create two tracks, dry only and bleeding only (top and bottom toms as well ) like DFHS does. From what I heard it certainly sounds great, better than DFHS, specially the snare and BD, but DFHS has the bounce function wich means everything to me. And the control bleeding on all mics is also a superb thing on DFHS. I just wish some add-ons for DFHS, maybe some more agressive/industrial sound.

But those loops on EZD made me drool... I wish I could buy just those loops, 8000... wow...

elephant-audio: This Left-Right hits thing is worth clarifying a bit. A drum doesn't know which hand it has been hit with, only WHERE it has been hit, and how hard. If what you want is different hit position articulations, they should be called such; if your left arm isn't as powerful as your right, then a lower velocity should be programmed or played. BFD doesn't use amplitude scaling as much as DKFHS, which, as I understand it, has pools of sound for loud, medium and soft velocity groups, and then amplitude scales within that pool. Instead, a 'continuous' range of dynamic levels, with an equally continuous dynamically-local pool of velocity layer neighbours as alternative hits is used.

I find the idea of left and right hits on a pedal-kicked bassdrum especially amusing - or do you mean you have a double kick drum kit, in which case you might have have two physically different drums recorded, or at least two recording takes of the same drum?

I think what toontrack have algorithmically is a valid (if misnamed) way to present a snare as a multi-articulated instrument; it's just a lot of drummers (especially technical session drummers) we've talked to baulk at the idea that they are any less capable of producing a hit with a certain position and certain strength with either hand.