Drums in Waterclime

karpsmom

May 25, 2005
New Jersey, USA
I'm quite curious about what was used for the drums on The Astral Factor. They sound so organic and the drum compositions themselves are so creative! I love to hear drummers that don't just stick to one set pattern for each segment of a song. The drums on TAF are constantly changing with little nuances, it's lovely, so hard to believe they are programmed drums! Does anyone know, or can Mr. V answer this: what program did you use to program these drums? I'm currently in dire need of a good, real sounding drum program I can use for my own music since there are no drummers around me with the technical or creative ability I need for my music.

Ah, I've heard of that one, I think the guy from Mirrorthrone uses it! I sure hope Vintersorg answers. I would really like to know what he used for The Astral Factor.

George said:
I think with any drum machine it boils down to what samples you use.

Yes..that's perfectly correct. But the most crucial point with programming is that you know how to use velocity, "off beat" and understand how a real drummer do his tricks...otherwise you'll have this static and machine-like patterns..groove is very important, so quantisation is not an option in my world. It doesn't matter what sampler( soft/harware) you use, it's the samples that counts...and there's millions out there..I often combine many different to get a personal sound...but as the magician I like to keep some secrets to myself...hehehehehe

mr V

Drumkit from hell... ehhh, gonna try this! The name is quite confusing though! ^^

np: Porcupine Tree - Glass Arm Shattering

I actually prefer to hear a real drummer on Vintersorg's albums, like spiral generator and blur.

But on the plus side, Mr. V is right about velocity when it comes to programming...that is the key, no doubt.

ErikSL said:
I actually prefer to hear a real drummer on Vintersorg's albums, like spiral generator and blur.

But on the plus side, Mr. V is right about velocity when it comes to programming...that is the key, no doubt.

Yea I prefer a real when it comes to Vintersorg's music. Asgeir is an invaluable asset to the band now! He's FUCKIGN BRILLIANT! But when it comes to Waterclime, I LOVE the programmed drums Mr. V did! :worship:

karpsmom said:
... when it comes to Waterclime, I LOVE the programmed drums Mr. V did! :worship:

I agree, but I must admit, if there is another Waterclime release someday I would love to hear a good live drummer on the record throwing in some Neil Peart style fills. Imagine "Painting without Colours" with some nice fills thrown in. OMG.

karpsmom said:
Yea a live drummer would be nice to hear also, I think his programmed drums were some of the best programmed drums I've ever heard though.

Cool!

mr V

karpsmom said:
Yea a live drummer would be nice to hear also, I think his programmed drums were some of the best programmed drums I've ever heard though.

I agree. Especially on the jazzy songs from the album, it is very tough to program the random, spontanuity of jazz drums. Definatley an outsanding effort. I wish I had programming skills (or patience) like that. :kickass:

ErikSL said:
I agree. Especially on the jazzy songs from the album, it is very tough to program the random, spontanuity of jazz drums. Definatley an outsanding effort. I wish I had programming skills (or patience) like that. :kickass:

yea seriously. It blew my mind, I really thought for quite some time that he just played the drums on the album. When I found out they were programmed, I was totally blown away. They sound completely the opposite of what programmed drums usually sound like. Totally un-robotic, totally, I don't know how to describe it, just fluid and spontaneous and beautiful. There are legions of human drummers who I would like Mr. V to replace with PROGRAMMING because his programmed drums have more personality than tons of real drummers that exist these days. Vintersorg is a genious when it comes to music, every element of what he writes is so, exactly what I look for in music. GENIOUS

karpsmom said:
yea seriously. It blew my mind, I really thought for quite some time that he just played the drums on the album. When I found out they were programmed, I was totally blown away. They sound completely the opposite of what programmed drums usually sound like. Totally un-robotic, totally, I don't know how to describe it, just fluid and spontaneous and beautiful. There are legions of human drummers who I would like Mr. V to replace with PROGRAMMING because his programmed drums have more personality than tons of real drummers that exist these days. Vintersorg is a genious when it comes to music, every element of what he writes is so, exactly what I look for in music. GENIOUS

Thanks! I like to think of myself as a perfectionist, even if I know I'm not...but I really like to program and I also think that the album has more diversity and dynamics than many with "real" drummers. So, I guess your expectations are way up among the clouds for the next album, when it comes to the programming? That gives me even more reasons to make it good...hehehe..

mr V

Oooh yea my expectation from you for everything are REALLY high! You are one of my greatest inspirations with everything in music, you are a master of playing everything you play, at composing, at producing, at writing lyrics, at feeling!

Vintersorg said:
Thanks! I like to think of myself as a perfectionist, even if I know I'm not...but I really like to program and I also think that the album has more diversity and dynamics than many with "real" drummers. So, I guess your expectations are way up among the clouds for the next album, when it comes to the programming? That gives me even more reasons to make it good...hehehe..

mr V

Will Asgier be doing the drums on the next Vintersorg album? Or will you be programming?