Dry Kill Logic, Diecast, Otep, Overkill, Pain of Salvation, Taproot SymX on Deth tour

Brett

------
Aug 31, 2003
From Dave's post on the message board...

"Anyway, I spent a few hours yesterday checking up on the bands that are on the list for the second stage; going to their web site, seeing their faces, their bios, their videos, etc. It was a very interesting morning. To give you a glimpse at who was submitted and seem to be in the running, they are Dry Kill Logic, Diecast, Otep, Overkill, Pain of Salvation, Taproot and Mike Portnoy’s recommendation, Symphony X."

Not bad.

Holy crap. That's a very....Pain of Salvation and Dry Kill Logic? Same show? Christ. That's just weird. That will be an extremely diverse crowd, hehe.

what a weird mix... otep and taproot... symx, pain of salvation, dream theater... megadeth, overkill, nevermore

its the nu-prog-thrash tour! Oh and i am not looking forward to sharing a venue with Diecast fans. But i shalls till god

haha i think wolftribe nailed it. nu-prog-thrash tour.
my post from smn on this topic:
i used to like taproot, then i saw them live lol
mind you only like 300 people were at that show.
the 2nd stage is making it a bit bet
ter of a tour, but shouldn't DEP and FF be on the 2nd stage and symphony X and overkill be on the main stage?
mustain doesn't know how to construct a good line up. his idea is nice though: attract enough mainstream kids to see what real metal is made of. he's just doing it in SUCH a bad way though. he should have put bands that are STILL popular on the bill. DEP is a nice idea, but its not metal, it'll attract hardcore kids that'll ruin the pits. i know some ppl have said "their fans don't hardcore dance, blah blah blah"
then on the 2nd stage he books artists that are all washed up.
dry kill logic, they usually play small clubs, noone really likes them much less knows of them.
diecast is an alright choice, but its a similar fanbase to the other bands and they aren't that great.
as far as getting a different crowd, otep works, but they suck. to make this tour work you gotta please both ends.
put lacuna coil and shadows fall (for example, too bad they are playing ozzfest) on the tour. bands like that.
or how about this: anthrax, since everyone was disappointed they weren't on ozzfest.

Here's what Mike Portnoy said about the second stage bands:

"Just for the record, Symphony X, Pain Of Salvation and Overkill were ALL my recommendations (I don't know why Dave only mentions Sym X as being one....)
I have my fingers crossed for any (or all) of em!
MP"

and

Also FYI - In addition to Sym X, PoS and Overkill - some of the other bands I suggested to Dave a while back:

--- Dillinger Escape Plan (the only band from my list to make the main stage)
--- Mudvayne (ended up on Ozzfest)
--- Mastodon (also ended up on Ozzfest)
--- Meshuggah (I spoke with them about it and they were unavailable)
--- Opeth (also spoke with them and they were already booked on their package tour)
--- Anthrax (I really tried, but it wasn't in the cards...)
--- Testament

In any case, I think we already have a kick ass, diverse bill and if we can get a few of my suggestions on the 2nd stage it'll be the icing on the cake.

MP"