DT Forum Members (and their messed up relationships)

UndoControl said:
I figure we are talking about the same line. :)

yes.
the french version is, overall, a funnier joke than its translation in spanish or italian, not to mention in english (wouldn't know about german). there is some sort of ambiguity in the original - based on the possible uses of "il est" - that places the action in either a literal state of happening now or in a more metaphoric one of what has just happened, thus serving both the figurative meaning of not being able to contain oneself, and the one we see in the picture of someone breaking his own chains. the other languages i mentioned have far more static expressions that don't really capture the double entendre.
for the italian translation, i would have chosen si è scatenato over è scatenato - sorry i can't make an example in spanish, but i think it should be clear what i did there - for the added reflective form which, i believe, manages to suggest the performance of an act a little better.

It's clear, worry not. The message has come through.

In spanish, "está desencadenado" is fairly close to "está suelto" ("he's free/unbound"), where 'está' has the same two meanings as "il est" and thus creates the same kind of ambiguity, resulting in the exact same "he can't contain himself". A funnier translation would thus be "está suelto"*, but i figure most translators (you being, apparently and hopefully, a rare exception) are just plain stupid, to avoid saying anything else of the matter.

* Another advantage of "está suelto" would be a colloquial expression (i wouldn't know if it's only from Mexico or if it exists in more/all spanish-speaking countries, though) which is used to indicate that someone has diarrhea or some similar condition. Thus, such a translation would not only preserve the original joke (which, i'm aware, is something very hard to do when translating comedy) but would also add a little touch of extra humor to the scene.

NF: Like i just wrote a Wikipedia entry. o_O

yep, you re right, but rahvin said it too, in another way:

"thus serving both the figurative meaning of not being able to contain oneself"

it's just fair that a thread about relationship should end up being a thread about Obélix. :)

okay I dont wanna talk about obeix, but I need some advice.
I met a cute nice girl some weeks ago at a friends party. we had a lot of fun, talked about cool things, kissed around and so on. I had several dates with her and I think she is really interested in me. I like her very much but I dont find some kind of love or something like this inside me. and I dont know if I should start a relation with her or not. just a relationship to prevent not to be alone? I dont know. I never had lost of relationships in my life, but I loved all my girls and was never in the situation of choosing yes or no. I also dont wanna hurt her but on the other hand Im single since some time, the last girl dropped me for another guy(but were still good friends, thats great because she is a wise person in lots of things) and I dont know what to do.
hurt or just being nice or just buy some time?

Solefald: I think you should just sit and think about it very good.
Do you think you can be together on less serious level or is she too interested in you?
If you like her very much, that COULD turn into love and if you're now having good times with her,why not give it a try, if you don't love anybody else?

Well, Sole, love doesnt come only from kissing around and talking about cool things (if it isnt love at the first sight, but thats very rare). You say, there is no love in you, that you just like her a lot. But thats just a great start, isnt it? What more do you want? There is a big difference between being in love with and really love someone. I think, if there isnt any other girl you would like more, and if the girl really likes you, you should just go on seeing each other and have a good time together. Youll get to know each other better and then the feeling of mutual respect and wanting more in terms of being-together will either come or it wont. Do not be alone just for the sake of your uncertainty. Be fair to the girl, but remember that you live your own life as well as she does, so she is probably also aware of the possible risks. Like fireangel said, talking about it openly is a good way of taking things further or clarifying them, but be careful about what you say, be fair. Id say the best thing you both could do is enjoy yourselves as much as you can and dont really think too much. Good luck! :)

Surprisingly, I partially agree with Marduk - especially when he says that you should posit that the girl is as conscious as you are of the situation, and that talking things over is the way to go (also because if you should realize that communication is not so easy on these matters then you would know that probably she's not relationship material). So I would advise to give it a try, too. On the other hand, my experience is that strong feelings don't emerge out of nowhere, and the idea of 'having fun together' without thinking of the future is quite moot... I find that I have to lie to myself everytime I happen to go down that road. After all, either you're just using/being used, or you really want to know if there's a future. And the peculiar level of abandon that comes with being certain about the future cannot be recreated artificially, therefore the 'having fun' part ends up being tarnished by (possibly unexpressed) anxiety.

I recognize that this view is very feminine, though, so I would not be surprised if you saw it totally different.

I agree with Marduk as well, it does sound like a good start. Of course the feeling of "being in love" is important in a relationship, but I believe that real love grows and develops only after some time. I mean, the fluttery feeling and all, that's just hormones, that isnt worth anything in the end. In the end I think it comes down to whether you want the relationship or not, if you feel attracted to her enough or not. I agree with Fireangel though, you shouldnt begin a relationship unseriously, it's unfair, especially when the girl is not looking for "fun" but for an honest relationship.
I hope I could help, good luck buddy :)