dt lyrics guessing game

rahvin

keeper of the flame
Oct 10, 2001
safe but not far from the city
as we all know, dt's lyrics are all very interesting and - dare i say - one of the strongest points of the band.

however, the lyrics as they appear in the booklets are largely incomplete and misleading. while at places it is fairly easy to correct the booklets, there are at least a dozen situations where one can only guess what mikael (or anders) actually sings.
unfortunately, since most of those utterances were mere improvising on the part of the singer, asking the band for some 'official' statement is no use: they just can't possibly remember every single little piece of growl emerged from mikael's mighty lungs, can they? ;)

so i'm asking you to contribute to further our understanding. from time to time i will come up on this thread with a song to do blank-filling on - maybe stating my ideas about it if i have any - and all those interested will help me making something out of the unwritten vocals.

let's start with constant. the whole backing-vocaled bridge is missing. what is mikael singing there?
if you don't mind, please add the exact minute/second of the utterance you think you understood, to avoid overlong explanations about what part of the song you're referring to.

of course, any time mikael feels his memory is being stirred by our wild guessing, he's welcome to lend a hand. :rolleyes: :p

rahvin. (promises his next thread will be called 'post here quotes about love')

after a long and heavy brainstorming ( :rolleyes: ) the hook and i have agreed on this interpretation:

(1:58 - 2:09)

who will be forever constant is forever
what we'll have forever constant is forever
you will be the one wonder ever the one

Originally posted by Rei Toei
after a long and heavy brainstorming ( :rolleyes: ) the hook and i have agreed on this interpretation:

(1:58 - 2:09)

who will be forever constant is forever
what we'll have forever constant is forever
you will be the one wonder ever the one

Hmmm, didn't listen to it now (as I'm still playing Ulver constantly), but as far as I can recall, I could agree with that above.

How about the part which ends with something like "...heaven now reign"? Long time ago (it was on the previous forum, or on the one before that) there was some talk about that part. Can't remember, if we found a conclusion, but I guessed it to be "Under heaven now reign".

-Villain (who doesn't trust his own memory too well)

There is one in Silence and the Firmament Withdrew as well...

Right after "revealing all, shapelessly, swiftly", it is whispered, but I cannot make it out. I don't know anyone who can help me because everyone around here are all lame asses whose favorite bands consist of Limp Bizkit and Korn, and (IMHO) shit similar to those degenerate bands.

ever so swiftly has always been my favourite guess.
but we'll get to the whole gallery album, eventually. :devil:

btw, thanks to rei toei and alfred. you make me want to hug you like teddies. :)

and yes, as villain pointed out, there's more missing words in constant.

rahvin.

About Constant: The final sentence must be "The magic that a name stains." (after repetition of the sentence "The magic that a name would stain.").

Siren (well not much of a help, but well.......)

Originally posted by rahvin
to rei toei and alfred. you make me want to hug you like teddies. :)
Rei is gesturing desperately at me babbling "please, please, do something!" :lol:

Er... should this mean I have to hug her like a teddybear? :devil:

@Siren: yep, that's it :)

Alfred (clothes-hook is forever)

Originally posted by Alfred
Er... should this mean I have to hug her like a teddybear? :devil:

why do you ask me, pray? don't you think it's bad enough that you're both so negative about my expression of feelings, without getting me involved in role playing game decisions over your head?

rahvin.

@phyre: thanks for contributing, i'll give those few lines due thought... as for the live parts, it is known how mikael fills live versions of the songs with... subtle hints to overdrinking. and some lines he might not always recall and sometimes mess up.

rahvin.

Talking of live vox, has anybody else noticed Mikael's tendency to don a drunk scottish accent? "Therrrre rrrode a sicknesss out of ourrrr sight!"

NP: Dark Tranquillity - A Bolt of Blazing Gold (live)

Woah! I like this game! And DT have plenty of unwritten lyrics in their songs! I think Mikael simply forgets what to sing, but is too lazy to redo it again all over, or to add it to the lyrics!!!!;)

On to Constant:

Who'll be forever
Constant is forever
What is forever (<--- not quite sure... between what and is I hear another sound)
Constant is forever
Who'll be the one wonder
(Under) Heaven no reign (?)

Well, I've not been of great help... what's the next song?

next song is going to be away, delight, away.

the missing lyrics happen to be just after the 'for they are my blood, they are my saviours' part.

have a nice week-end, with the dt lyrics guessing game!
*merry jingle*
:)

rahvin.

i take it that was just to avoid answering, uh? :rolleyes: :p

ok, if you reply to all questions with sensible, accurate answer, then you win. feel better now? ;)

rahvin. (still, it's away, delight away on)