Dyse S/T

genocide roach

DOOOOOOOOOOM
Aug 18, 2002
Dyse– S/T
Exile on Mainstream – 23 March 2007
By Ryan Starr

EOM27_150px.jpg

When it comes to abstract and experimental music, it’s pretty easy to get my attention. But with Dyse’s self titled debut, I just can’t get excited over it. The music is somewhere between System of a Down and Yob. And while I enjoy both of those bands, Dyse doesn’t have the atmosphere of Yob, or the energy of SoaD. Everything is mid paced, so we don’t get the creepy doom vibe or the hyper active vigor. What we’re left with is just middle of the road tempo that doesn’t give us any sort or mood to feed off.

Another complaint I have is its simplicity. The “riffs” really only contain two or three chords each. And while I understand their music is more rhythm based, just a little more melody would go a long way towards making this release great. Even the rhythm work is plain. But maybe that’s just what they’re going for. Simple music to rock to while drunk and/or stoned. And since I am neither drunk nor stoned I can’t appreciate it. But feel free to light up and check it out. And if you think I’m wrong, that’s fine. This just isn’t doing it for me.

Official Dyse Website
Official Exile on Mainstream Website