Ear plugs

breathingmetal

April Ethereal
Dec 20, 2004
New Zealand
Hey Everyone, im amping for the show tomorrow night. I'll be the short guy with a deliverence T, look forward to seeing you all!

Just a question on earplugs. Since i've never been to an opeth show and unsure of how loud they play, would it be worth taking ear plugs? I'm only 17 and dont wish to destroy my ear drums at this age haha. I have been to a few local hardcore shows in Hamilton which can be pretty loud, was just wondering about opeth. Cheers guys

Once again I look forward to the show

funny, when I started to go to concerts (maiden/ozzy/motorhead etc in the early 80's) I found that on occasions it was so loud that it hurt!
The secret, if there is one, is to get a good seat/position not too close to the speakers. If it is actually sore move back if possible. Ear plugs distort the sound as well as reducing it. I would not recommend that.
Having said that I am a little bit on the deaf side 20 years on.

Thanks for the advice, but unfortunately for the opeth gig tickets were only available for the standing section of the theater. Anybody know how many people this area could hold by the way?

I go to a lot of shows and always wear ear plugs. A couple years ago I got some custom molded ones with a flat frequency response. Sounds so much better than without plugs, everything much clearer and more defined.

Wear earplugs.

I use these:
picEARUT.jpg

Perfect!

Wear earplugs.

yes, I didn't and I regreted it. They cant possibly distort the sound worse than the crappy sound system at Ziggy's anyway... I had bad hearing for 3 days.

You guys are far more responsible than many in the past.
Question is though, if most find it too loud, why do bands not just turn the ferkin amps down a little :-(
Its a bit like buying a rubber ring when you can swim.

unfortunately to get over the sound of the crowd, and to get a good sound from the instruments they must be turned up, sometimes more than they need to be though.

that is why i recommend to everyone to get ear plugs, a lot of people think they are for losers but id rather be called a loser then be deaf.

I would never call anyone a loser for protecting their ears,
funny how things change though, I remember Motorhead pubicising the fact that they were the loudest, and proud of it. One of my mates at the time was boasting that he could not hear properly for three days after seeing (hearing) them, yes funny how things change.

Its not that loud you pussy, why dont you just bring your mum along and make her put her fingers in your ears?

Don't ever sacrifice your hearing dude. I did that when I was 17 and now I'm 27 with significant hearing damage and tinnitus. You DON'T want that, especially if you're a musician too. The ringing in your ears NEVER goes away.

As for earplugs distorting anything, that is the most bizarre thing I've ever heard. Earplugs now for me always put the concert at the perfect level. Everything sounds much more clear because your ears aren't distorting and the white noise is blocked out. It feels like a kickass stereo system cranked up, but it's still loud enough that you know you're at a concert. And my ears don't get fucked up anymore.

As for earplugs distorting anything, that is the most bizarre thing I've ever heard.
The most bizarre thing that I have heard is a copper (dog police) here who used to push women over steal their shoes and then wank in them :loco:
When he went to jail his nickname was Shoey Do(u)gles(s)

Ken Lyall said:
As for earplugs distorting anything, that is the most bizarre thing I've ever heard.
The most bizarre thing that I have heard is a copper (dog police) here who used to push women over steal their shoes and then wank in them :loco:
When he went to jail his nickname was Shoey Do(u)gles(s)

Hahaha. Ok maybe it wasn't so bizarre. But I just found it weird because earplugs do the exact opposite for me.

That copper story reminds me of Arnold Layne by Pink Floyd. Based on a real guy. He snatched women's underwear from their clothes lines.