Ear plugs

I've heard good things about Hearos ear plugs. Fairly flat response and the amount of db attenuation scales with price. I have to get myself a pair... the standard expanding foam ones are total crap... cut all the high-end, can't hear shit.

Even Peter uses earplugs , I think the ones close to stage should wear earplugs.

Cause even you don't realize and even if your hearing volume not decreases you musician ear gets worse with loud music , be aware.

At the Nevermore/Opeth gig in Montreal last year, the sound for Opeth was fine... not too loud, and very clear to due to the good(not maxed out) mixing.

On the other hand, Nevermore was barely audible... because they were mixed too loud.

I didn't have earplugs for this gig, but it wasn't much of a problem as Opeth were at a good loudness.

I'm going to see Manowar in December, they've been known to play at 129.5 dB...do you recommend ear plugs?

Coincidently Pete Townsend is almost completely deaf these days due to tinitus from all the loud gigs The Who used to play. Perhaps he should've followed Keith's lead and worn ear muffs.

for those who jam with loud drummers, and have quiet amps, earplugs balance things out quite nicely. they put a damper on the cymbals, making them sound recorded.

Not sure what an ENT is but just look in the Yellow Pages for an Audiologist and ask about Etymotic or Musicians Ear plugs. Most hearing aid places should do them as well.

My doctor said that if I kept on abusing on the music volume I'd be totally deaf in little time. I NEED earplugs. Actually, I already have a like 5db loss on the treble side.

over the years, our perception of pitch drops also...on average, i think its somewhere between a half and a full step. it can really fuck with people who have perfect pitch, since their tone memory stays the same.