Ear plugs

Tambn said:
you mean an otorhinolaryngologist?
Probably man, but give the guy a break, not everyone knows Greek medical terms!

Thanks Pethical, I'll seriously consider what you said. I want to find a good ORL (or ENT as you expressed it) because my ears in general are sensitive and have been giving me all kinds of crap lately...I really need them cause I'm a musician and I'd honestly rather go blind than deaf, no matter how bold a statement that is.

Ganza said:
I really need them cause I'm a musician

No problems man. have a go and see what u can do, here we call them ENT's, you guys might call them something different. and EVERYONE needs them. especially when you go to so many concerts like i do AND play in a band AND listen to a lot of music. they are a necessity

My ears are still ringing from the saturday night gig in auckland two days ago. I completely forgot about ear plugs... i'm a bit worried now

After my first gig my ears took a full week to return to (what I thought) was 'normal' hearing. Then next gig I used earplugs; and haven't looked back since.

Ken Lyall said:
I wouldn't worry, I am sure your hearing will be fine. Give it a couple more days. The more you think about it, the more the 'ringing' will appear to be still there.

Not true. That ringing is a symptom of hearing damage. It's called tinnitus. I still have it because I badly abused my ears. It's true that you can block it out mentally, but the more you abuse your ears the worse the ringing will get.

To everyone else, wear earplugs, TRUST ME.

LedByTheReaper said:
ear plugs are for pussies, sure my hearings fucked.. but does this mean that all opeth fans here are wimps?

Nope, just smart. I'd still like to be able to hear my own guitar a few years down the road thanks. :heh:

I take 'em and then use them if needed. At the Opeth gig at the Fillmore in San Francisco last October I found I didn't really need them as the volume level was just about right, but I've been to shows where they were a necessity.

LedByTheReaper said:
ear plugs are for pussies, sure my hearings fucked.. but does this mean that all opeth fans here are wimps?

wow. You're so tr00@!!!! what a br00tal guy we got here.

But seriously, you're an idiot. Some people don't want to go deaf. I guess you're a "pussy" unless deaf or impaired in both ears.

Maybe i'll stare into the sun for an hour so I can go blind. That would make me even cooler!

Wear plugs. I have ringing in my ears, and it's my fault. I play the music in my car too loud, and I don't regularly wear plugs to concerts because I hate the crappy ones that over-muffle the sound.

I've been too lazy to look for good ones (30 seconds on google and I could have found some - man, I am lazy), but now that I've seen the ETY's in this thread, I'm going to spring for a good pair. Earplugs are smart - going deaf is for pussies (I guess I'm a pussy, and I feel stupid about it)

Yeah, use plugs. I've been getting away with not doing it because I don't go to gigs very often. With my ears being my livelihood these days though, I have no more excuse not to get a decent pair.