Easier Approach to Drum Tracking?

shane_man15

New Metal Member
Apr 17, 2011
So, since I've been playing guitar, I've kind of always had drums in the mix. Bass, not so much.

4 1/2 years later, I'm now WAY more serious about recording than I ever was and have taken the necessary steps to make this my career and my life.

(I'm pretty much introducing myself since I'm a n00b on the site, lol)

Lately, when it came to drum tracking, I used EZDrummer, FL Studios 8, and the Piano Roll on FL and went to work creating a drum track. Now that I'm getting more serious into this and trying to open a legitimate studio, I need a little more guidance.
Lately, I've discovered Drumagog and have been trying to get familiar with the plug-in and how I can use it when it comes down to the drums.

I kind of want to take the same approach I know now, and apply it in the stuff I know. The idea I had in mind was to use Drumagog 5, record multiple single hits on each drum, and let the drummer have fun and record. Since I can't really get Nuendo 3 to quantize like I know how to do on PT, it's about 10 times more difficult.

With all that said and scattered about, are there any easier approaches I can do right now that would benefit with a good recording?

(Note: I do plan on buying drum triggers later. Any suggestions on what to get?)

P. S. Just so people know where I'm at as far as recordings and whatnot, here are samples of things I done.
http://soundcloud.com/redriderrecordingstudio/youve-met-your-match
http://soundcloud.com/redriderrecordingstudio/what-simon-says-goes-a-stylish

So, since I've been playing guitar, I've kind of always had drums in the mix. Bass, not so much.

4 1/2 years later, I'm now WAY more serious about recording than I ever was and have taken the necessary steps to make this my career and my life.

(I'm pretty much introducing myself since I'm a n00b on the site, lol)

Lately, when it came to drum tracking, I used EZDrummer, FL Studios 8, and the Piano Roll on FL and went to work creating a drum track. Now that I'm getting more serious into this and trying to open a legitimate studio, I need a little more guidance.
Lately, I've discovered Drumagog and have been trying to get familiar with the plug-in and how I can use it when it comes down to the drums.

I kind of want to take the same approach I know now, and apply it in the stuff I know. The idea I had in mind was to use Drumagog 5, record multiple single hits on each drum, and let the drummer have fun and record. Since I can't really get Nuendo 3 to quantize like I know how to do on PT, it's about 10 times more difficult.

With all that said and scattered about, are there any easier approaches I can do right now that would benefit with a good recording?

(Note: I do plan on buying drum triggers later. Any suggestions on what to get?)

P. S. Just so people know where I'm at as far as recordings and whatnot, here are samples of things I done.
http://soundcloud.com/redriderrecordingstudio/youve-met-your-match
http://soundcloud.com/redriderrecordingstudio/what-simon-says-goes-a-stylish

Am I the only one who finds it really alerting that there is not a single mention of microphones when he is talking about recording drums?

Well some people prefer programmed drums. It's a preference, so no I don't find it alerting at all. There are a lot of programs to do drums. There is Superior Drummer which I may be looking into myself. i currently use Beatcraft, which I render ever track, and put them into my DAW and then I use Drumagog 5 which I paid $150 for, which can replace the sound with different velocities to get rid of the machine gun effect.

I would still think he would use microphones to an extent. At least to get the raw sound of the drum, mix it a little, and start piecing it together.
I've been wanting to take one of the preset drum things, and replace the audio with either the raw sound, or the mixed drums so that there is always consistency.

Unfortunately, I can't do that with EZDrummer that I know of. Sampling rate is set at 72khz I think. I don't know why. :/
I think Joey uses Kontakt along with some sort of MIDI thing to deal with the drums if I'm not mistaken. I would install Kontakt on my computer, however, my computer is behind with technology, and can only do so much.

But are you saying I could basically, find the best samples of whatever drumset I'm working with, mix them, and through them in some sort of MIDI compliant thing like Superior drummer, and work with it that way?

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to sound harsh, but if you were really trying to open a "LEGITIMATE studio", I'd think you would have a better understanding of all this than what you do now.
Do some more research and just keep trying to learn as much as possible (The Sneap forum is where you will find the most helpful answers as far as general tracking and engineering imo). Programming is easiest just placing the hits in piano roll. And then just render the tracks from the MIDI file to an audio file and stick drumagog on the track and choose your sample. Couldn't be easier, really. The main advantage Kontakt has over drumagog is that you can actually program with Kontakt, whereas with Drumagog you need some sort of sequencer before Drumagog in your chain if you are relying on programming (unless if you render the midi to an audio file like I stated earlier). BUT Drumagog is easier in my opinion to set up the actual multisamples (I've learned it's much harder to do so in Kontakt, in fact I STILL havent mastered it lol)

P.S. It'd be much more valuable since you are a fairly new engineer to learn to get good drum sounds from the source instead of relying on triggers 100% (if you have a decent setup). Just my honest opinion.

I apologize if this is a bit confusing, it's 7:05 AM here and I havent been to sleep yet :lol: