FIXXXER

¯\(°_o)/¯
Feb 18, 2008
Germany
hey guys,

i just noticed a crack (20-24 fret) on my gutars fingerboard:ill:
it's an ebony fretboard. i am just fucking terryfied right now becuase
this guitar was very fucking expensice.

physicaly, is it a "OH MY GOD NOOOOOOO" thing or is it "not that bad" !?

the guitar was set up by a luterier some few days ago
and i can't remember if the crack was there before i left the guitar there.

any idea of how this happened!?

cheers
S.

oh_no.jpg

Wood can split sometimes if it's dry, but don't worry - that fingerboard ain't going anywhere. Even if it split all the way down the fingerboard, I highly doubt the damage would be more than cosmetic.

Just lube it up with some lemon oil every time you change strings if you don't want it to get worse.

the guy who did the set up, said that ebony fretboards are very contingent.
i change strings about one or two times in a month and i anoint the fretboard with lemon oil regularly,
so it's alittle bit strange, i don't think that the fretboard was too dry.

could there be any other reason for the crack than weather!?

cheers
S.

I would check the humidity where you are storing the guitar. I think they say the ideal humidity for storing guitars is 60%. I would also try using lemon oil a little more often. Leave some lemon oil on the fretboard for a bit to see if it's soaking it up.

Yeah I'm sure that was caused by the wood being dry, and then when it was bent a bit from adding tension, it cracked. I wouldn't be worried.

Although if it happened to one of my babies, I'd be a bit pissed too.

I had something similar with a smaller crack on my Jackson KV2 and my first reaction was very"OH MY GOD NOOOOOOO"-like aswell haha! but after worrying a bunch, and then oiling it up with lemon oil, setting it up properly, the cracks disappeared again. It happened during the winter too when its usually the least humid.
I'd try not to worry too much, it shouldn't be bad really.

Happened to one of my guitars too this winter; I know it's a common problem with ebony fretboards. Luckily the neck on it is getting fixed anyway by the luthier who built it, and it's probably getting a new fingerboard as well. Apparently the winter fucked up the whole neck on mine :(

thanks a lot guys!!! :headbang:

the last few hours i spent time oiling the fretbard like a black girls booty!:D

the wood has absorbed some of the oil and now it seems like it won't go further. this means that the wood is not that dry anymore right?

the crack got smaller also, YEAH!

i have a lutherier living just around the corner.
he said that it's easy to fix and not a big deal,
i am so fucking eased now:lol:

:kickass::kickass::kickass::kickass:

cheers
S.

when I read the title I thought you were saying "Ebony fretboards > crack" as in "ebony FBs are better than crack"....and I came here to agree

anyways, as many have said already your FB will be fine

this cracks Ebony fretboards are famous for. sooner or later it happens to all of them.
judging by your pic it's no big deal. like it was mentioned numerous times already lemon oil or any other fretboard oil and forget about it.