Yamaha RGX A2 (neat guitar)

Terminus

Apr 19, 2009
The guy I bought my Marshall 1960B cab had one of these hanging on his wall, I think it's kind of cool looking even though there would be little chance of getting any emg pups in there lol.

p1_uhswvnynl_so.jpg

I'm a lefty so I didn't get a chance to play it but the design caught my attention as being slick, especially with no fret markers. If it was lefty and had an ebony fretboard and emgs I'd totally try to get one of these. Anyone here ever played or owned one? Are you hiding your new wave cover band past? :D

Yeah but I'm positive there's no lefty model...would be awesome though. Masonite eh? Interesting. I thought the bridge and the body cut/shape were the two coolest aspects of it. Kind of like an s-series with a hard edge.

nope no lefty model. this was announced at musik messe a few years ago IIRC, i was like, OMG please make a lefty...nope!
let's hope that peavey bringt out the auto tune guitar for left handed people :lol:

It's actually just normal wood. The thing they do is take a lightweight wood for the core of the guitar, then basically laminate the top and bottom with a harder wood. With the bridge there are "sound tubes" which are supposed to transfer the sound (vibration) to the back laminate piece to get resonance. It's called A.I.R. (alternative internal resonance). They came out like 6 years ago actually, and have since been discontinued. Always been interested in getting one. Here is a video that shows the construction and AIR idea:

Last edited by a moderator:
I work at a mom and pop guitar store that carries yamaha stuff. We had one of these in the store for a while. It is a very weird feeling guitar... It sort of feels like a toy imo. It does sound pretty damn good though. One of the jazz guitar teachers at the store really took to it. It can definitely do the warm and fast thing. I however wouldnt trust it for metal or recording, even with emg's. Also, the tuning machines are kinda wacky. I dont like them at all. Yamaha is a very underrated electric guitar maker though, the AES series is on par if not better than any of the shecter or esp/ltd les paul knock-offs if you ask me.