Economics and Education

No kidding. No business major is a cake degree.

Management is cake and so is Marketing to a degree. I think saying a degree like Economics is cake is idiotic as econ is fucking hard when you get into the upper level shit. Same goes with finance and accounting

Also MIS as a lot of it is coding and shit

I didn't take any courses that teach you how to deal with your money, all economics courses I took are administration related ones. I don't really mind anyways. I moved out of my parents house and been living away for almost five years, so I had to learn one way or another.

I suppose if I was to buy a house or condo this would be true. Other than that, if I wanted something like a car, I could pay for that in cash right now, so a credit score would be irrelevant since I wouldn't need a loan.

A credit card will make your life much easier on the long run. You just gotta keep it in check, and don't let your GF borrow it.

A credit card will make your life much easier on the long run. You just gotta keep it in check, and don't let your GF borrow it.

Well, I've had a CC for a year now (maybe two? I don't remember). Anyway, I keep it in check obviously, but sometimes I think it's more a hassle than anything else. I predict massive defaults on credit cards in 2009.

I took an education loan which i bought my car for :heh:. It's great, if i would have taken it from a bank the interest would have been way higher.

^^ :lol: I'm actually trying to get my score higher to buy another car. I don't want to deal with the hassle of having one of my cars on my dad's name.

In a way i did because i lived 5 mil (31 miles) from school back then with one bus a day going into town at 06:20 AM and home again 17:30 PM. Now if i would've had a friday where i started after 12:00 going into town at 06:20 would be overkill, not to talk about what i'd do if i missed the bus.

I never learned about personal finance in school but my parents always paid everything on time, including credit card bills. I turned out to be very frugal and mostly spend money on CDs, food and beer. I do not have a credit card but I do use my debit card a lot. I don't know about other places but nearly every store in Toronto accepts debit so unless you're getting airmiles or something I don't see why you wouldn't use debit if you don't want to carry a ton of cash.

I have a credit card under my mom's name. This keeps me from buying booze on it when I don't have cash or anything left in checking. I try and keep my checking under $100 so I sometimes am near broke and avoid spending for a few days. I use debit semi-regularly, but it can be irritating when there's a minimum charge. Apparently there are fees for retailers who accept debit cards, so it's better to just pay cash when possible. But I usually use it for bills or gas.

Fortunately for us metal types, we save money on things like expensive clothing or haircuts. Aside from buying shoes I must spend less than $100 a year on clothes.

Yeah. I have a savings account. I'd rather collect as much interest as possible (pennies, but still) by keeping the vast majority of money in a savings account. So I'll pull out some money when I need to. But it would be silly to have say, half my money in savings and half in checking.

He might have a saving account as well as a checking account...maybe...

Yeah, I thought about that after I posted that.

Yeah. I have a savings account. I'd rather collect as much interest as possible (pennies, but still) by keeping the vast majority of money in a savings account. So I'll pull out some money when I need to. But it would be silly to have say, half my money in savings and half in checking.

I got rid of my savings account about a year ago. All of my money is currently in a checking account bearing zero interest. I need to put some of it in a CD soon

I have about $1,300 from a bank account I had when I was young. I was thinking about just dropping most of it in my savings, but I suppose putting it into a CD would be more advantageous.