The "Education" Thread

i learned how to read before i learned how to talk
i learned how to talk at the normal age
i just learned how to read even earlier than that
you guys wanna know how i learned to read??
the text balloons in superhero comics
the pictures told a story, but then my mind realized that the text was also part of the same story
my brain taught myself to read in order for me to better comprehend the story that understood was incomplete with only the pictures

the problem with this was that i learned to read before i learned how to talk and i had to go to speech-therapy-classes so that i would stop pronouncing silent-letters and "properly" pronounce words that "should be" homophones

It's way outside of my area of expertise, but I've never found the arguments for whole-word instruction to be convincing. Sure, when I'm reading complex texts or taking a standardized exam, I learn/infer the meanings of words I'm unfamiliar with based on the context. Young children don't quite have the capacity for that sort of abstraction -- my adult students have enough trouble with abstraction. Phonics isn't perfect, and the look of a below-average 4th grader stumbling through a text sounding out every syllable and still not understanding what they're reading isn't a good one, but I'm skeptical that using whole-word instruction makes it any easier for students who already struggle with the phonetic method. It is a problem when troubled students get stuck on the syllables and can't see the forest through the trees, if you will. Is the whole-word method more efficient in this regard? Not sure. I don't consider inconsistencies in spelling to be a major hang-up, despite being befuddled more than once in attempting to explain them to young adult students.

I learned from a phonics book, and I 100% agree. @Einherjar86 's observation and the latter portion of your post hit on the same point, which is that yes, there are some connections that have to be made beyond letter and phoneme sounds, but these are easily facilitated by direct instruction and repetition. Language is absolutely almost entirely a bottom-up skill in origin, and then top-down once familiar. Trying to skip steps does not ultimately save time, unless one wants to be locked into only knowing the basic appearance of words one was taught in elementary - which is a good way to make a population both "literate" and dumb.

Last edited:
Trying to skip steps does not ultimately save time, unless one wants to be locked into only knowing the basic appearance of words one was taught in elementary - which is a good way to make a population both "literate" and dumb.
this is what causes those people who try to write a book or a diary (or even a shopping list) and misspell every 5th word

BU School of Public Health is dropping the GRE. I'm sure reasonable literacy and numeracy aren't that important for studying health and making policy recommendations.

How important is the general GRE? Apparently their expectations were scores greater than 50th percentile, which should be trivial. For STEM at the PhD level, it seems pretty unanimous in my experience that research experience and letters of rec are the #1, GPA a moderate #2, and the general GRE score in the back. The exam itself is barely different from the SAT in terms of what it tests. I don't know why it even exists.

How important is the general GRE? Apparently their expectations were scores greater than 50th percentile, which should be trivial. For STEM at the PhD level, it seems pretty unanimous in my experience that research experience and letters of rec are the #1, GPA a moderate #2, and the general GRE score in the back. The exam itself is barely different from the SAT in terms of what it tests. I don't know why it even exists.

We're talking about primarily public health MAs though. Not really STEM. Not a PhD. BUSPH admitted 15 PhDs last year. 340 MAs. It exists because GPA is garbage in the current inflationary situation. Not everyone has taken an SAT and presumably scores change after an undergraduate education.

BU School of Public Health is dropping the GRE. I'm sure reasonable literacy and numeracy aren't that important for studying health and making policy recommendations.

They're dropping it for a pilot policy of three years, during which they'll evaluate grad student performance and see if there's any noticeable difference. There are plenty of reasons to mistrust GRE results as indicators of grad performance, even in more sociological fields like public health. If there's a noticeable change in the quality of grad student work during the three-year period, they'll likely reincorporate GRE results back into application materials.

Furthermore, this doesn't necessarily mean the admissions board won't consider GRE test scores if students want to submit them. It might just mean that test scores won't make or break a student's chances from being considered. If the choice comes down to two applicants, both of whom submitted test scores, then they can provide a useful metric in making the decision. If only one student has submitted the scores, then they'll compare the applications using data outside of the test scores. It may not seem fair, but if the scores aren't necessary then they can't rely on them as tiebreakers. A lot of programs already appeal to test scores only in cases of tiebreaking. I'm not sure of any serious grad program that says "If your GRE score is below such-and-such, we won't consider your application." Maybe there are schools that announce this, but I haven't seen them.

Finally, ETS is a racket. Taking and submitting the scores can run someone upwards of $300-$400. I'm sympathetic to ditching the test if only for a period of time to observe what happens. For advanced programs, GRE scores are the last thing they look at, if at all. In terms of getting into graduate programs, grades, references, and sample work are the main things admissions boards look at.

I'm all for moving away from the GRE, at least for a period of time, and seeing what happens. I'm willing to bet it's not going to lead to an influx of grad students who aren't prepared to work in their discipline.

Furthermore, this doesn't necessarily mean the admissions board won't consider GRE test scores if students want to submit them. It might just mean that test scores won't make or break a student's chances from being considered. If the choice comes down to two applicants, both of whom submitted test scores, then they can provide a useful metric in making the decision. If only one student has submitted the scores, then they'll compare the applications using data outside of the test scores. It may not seem fair, but if the scores aren't necessary then they can't rely on them as tiebreakers. A lot of programs already appeal to test scores only in cases of tiebreaking. I'm not sure of any serious grad program that says "If your GRE score is below such-and-such, we won't consider your application." Maybe there are schools that announce this, but I haven't seen them.

BUSPH reported that for 2018 it received 3k applications for 435 spots. GRE scores can allow you to eliminate the less capable persons up front and then evaluate the top of the stack more closely. Otherwise you wind up with....

Finally, ETS is a racket. Taking and submitting the scores can run someone upwards of $300-$400. I'm sympathetic to ditching the test if only for a period of time to observe what happens. For advanced programs, GRE scores are the last thing they look at, if at all. In terms of getting into graduate programs, grades, references, and sample work are the main things admissions boards look at.

I'm all for moving away from the GRE, at least for a period of time, and seeing what happens. I'm willing to bet it's not going to lead to an influx of grad students who aren't prepared to work in their discipline.

BUSPH charges ~80k for 2 years of schooling. My PhD won't cost that much even if I paid full retail. Versus 400$, which is the racket? Let's be real, networks are still far more important than they should be but it's so ingrained in human nature. If a person scores in the bottom 50% on the GRE out of 3000 applications, I have no reason to think that their "references" or "sample work" are going to be worth more time and effort to engage with than the remaining 1500 applicants (yes I know I'm aggregating across several different programs for brevity's sake). I'd be for dropping references before dropping testing.

BUSPH reported that for 2018 it received 3k applications for 435 spots. GRE scores can allow you to eliminate the less capable persons up front and then evaluate the top of the stack more closely. Otherwise you wind up with....

Agreed, getting rid of GRE scores will make admissions boards’ jobs more difficult. But if they’re up to the task, they’re liable to get a better sense of applicants’ strengths. Maybe it would help weed out those who would test well but lack the conceptual and qualitative intelligence necessary for grad-level work.

BUSPH charges ~80k for 2 years of schooling. My PhD won't cost that much even if I paid full retail. Versus 400$, which is the racket? Let's be real, networks are still far more important than they should be but it's so ingrained in human nature. If a person scores in the bottom 50% on the GRE out of 3000 applications, I have no reason to think that their "references" or "sample work" are going to be worth more time and effort to engage with than the remaining 1500 applicants (yes I know I'm aggregating across several different programs for brevity's sake). I'd be for dropping references before dropping testing.

Schooling is also a racket, but that’s what currently gets you a job—not a GRE score.

I disagree completely about references. I think recommendation letters are possibly the best indicator of an applicant’s strengths. Weak candidates don’t get recommendations; or, if they insist on a professor or teacher writing them one, they get the following:

“I taught John Smith in the spring of 2019. The quality of his work in class occasionally met expectations,” etc.

References highlight an applicant’s most consistent and valuable qualities, or lack thereof.

Agreed, getting rid of GRE scores will make admissions boards’ jobs more difficult. But if they’re up to the task, they’re liable to get a better sense of applicants’ strengths. Maybe it would help weed out those who would test well but lack the conceptual and qualitative intelligence necessary for grad-level work.

I'm curious as to how one could test poorly on the GRE but have excellent conceptual and qualitative intelligence.

Now, possibly BU only gets high scoring applicants all the time anyway, so if everyone is super high it's not very valuable data. But that doesn't mean without the GRE, one will continue to only get that level of applicant.

Schooling is also a racket, but that’s what currently gets you a job—not a GRE score.

I disagree completely about references. I think recommendation letters are possibly the best indicator of an applicant’s strengths. Weak candidates don’t get recommendations; or, if they insist on a professor or teacher writing them one, they get the following:

“I taught John Smith in the spring of 2019. The quality of his work in class occasionally met expectations,” etc.

References highlight an applicant’s most consistent and valuable qualities, or lack thereof.

Getting recommendation letters often involves "networking" behaviors, not simply performing well in classes. This is a barrier to economically marginalized people. Hard to do the extracurriculars and put a face with the name when you are working and going to school, or when you had to pull the first two years of undergrad at a community college.

Maybe it's because of my career field, but there's so many GRE-like tests and certifications etc to do for the rest of my life, complaints about a one-time test for $300-400 seem misdirected, especially when there are many other GRE-esque tests out there. GMAT, LSAT, MCAT, etc. I'm somewhat surprised that you agreed that school is a racket though.

I'm curious as to how one could test poorly on the GRE but have excellent conceptual and qualitative intelligence.

If someone is good at qualitative thinking but sucks as quantitative, then they’re unlikely to do well on the math sections. I took the GRE more than once in order to boost both sections. I felt that passing the GRE was less a matter of improving my intelligence than it was learning the kinds of questions the test asks and how to answer.

Now, possibly BU only gets high scoring applicants all the time anyway, so if everyone is super high it's not very valuable data. But that doesn't mean without the GRE, one will continue to only get that level of applicant.

That’s what a three year pilot period would test.

Getting recommendation letters often involves "networking" behaviors, not simply performing well in classes. This is a barrier to economically marginalized people. Hard to do the extracurriculars and put a face with the name when you are working and going to school, or when you had to pull the first two years of undergrad at a community college.

This is a good point, but it doesn’t counter the claim that references provide better information about an applicant’s strengths. Relying only on test scores might open it up to more economically disadvantaged applicants, but I’d argue that it would also result in greater variability of applicants. Relying on references might narrow the playing field, but also better ensure what kind of applicants you’re getting.

Maybe it's because of my career field, but there's so many GRE-like tests and certifications etc to do for the rest of my life, complaints about a one-time test for $300-400 seem misdirected, especially when there are many other GRE-esque tests out there. GMAT, LSAT, MCAT, etc. I'm somewhat surprised that you agreed that school is a racket though.

In terms of how much higher education costs, it is a racket. It’s going to be the next major bubble as more students incur loan debts and don’t get jobs. That’s not entirely higher education’s fault though.

Last edited:
If someone is good at qualitative thinking but sucks as quantitative, then they’re unlikely to do well on the math sections. I took the GRE more than once in order to boost both sections. I felt that passing the GRE was less a matter of improving my intelligence than it was learning the kinds of questions the test asks and how to answer.

That’s what a three year pilot period would test.

Yeah math isn't my strong suit, but really the only thing that hurt on the GRE quant was never taking geometry. I could get a middling score without learning the subject so I didn't bother. Take a business stats class (which I did by "accident" basically), and you will be well prepared for much of the quant section otherwise.

I didn't know it was a 3 year pilot until you mentioned it before, and then had to go dig down into the press release to verify. BUSPH twitter acct certainly just pronounced it like it was some massive woke permanent move.

This is a good point, but it doesn’t counter the claim that references provide better information about an applicant’s strengths. Relying only on test scores might open it up to more economically disadvantaged applicants, but I’d argue that it would also result in greater variability of applicants. Relying on references might narrow the playing field, but also better ensure what kind of applicants you’re getting.

I'm sure there's some variance by field and degree level as to what degree having someone report someone's "strengths" matters. I know my mentoring professor is mainly interested in a potential applicants' ability to operate independently successfully (not need their hand held) and have good interpersonal skills. The latter is kind of important for clinical psychology anyway. Neither of these things can be ascertained well via references. This is also at the doctoral level too, so as he says, above a certain cutoff, everyone *could* succeed somewhere. Then it's a matter of fit.

But MA programs are getting a lower tier applicant, generally speaking, to begin with. Past performance is the most dependable measure of future performance, and you don't need references for that. Furthermore, if I were to be reviewing applicants for X, and I see one has a 4.0 and scored in the 80+ %tile on the GRE and has some verified research exp, while another applicant has a 3.3 is 50%, little other exp, but has glowing references, why should I pay attention to the references? Now, were the reference from someone I knew personally, I'd probably follow up with them for more information, but then that's precisely the kind of benefit provided by "networking", which is far more exclusionary than standardized test scores.

Now maybe, I bring in metric-stud applicant in for an interview day/open house, and they bomb it. Try the next person. We've certainly had applicants to my lab bomb their interviews, but we didn't just invite one so no big deal.

In terms of how much higher education costs, it is a racket. It’s going to be the next major bubble as more students incur loan debts and don’t get jobs. That’s not entirely higher education’s fault though.

Well, incur loan debts not commensurate with the career field earnings. 100k to get a MSW is a poor tradeoff, for example. A lot of that is on the students. Universities via the USGov are complicit though in nakedly responding to profit incentives, and secondary education/society for pushing the "everyone should go to college" line.

Hope all my academic peeps are doing well. This semester has been grueling--mainly because I'm commuting not only to BU now, but also to Harvard. My tutorials at Harvard are very small, but they demand a lot of attention to each individual student. It's unlike anything I've ever done before. That said, I'm loving it. It's the first time I've taught directed sessions to students who are actually majoring in the field.

My fourth article's under review, got some very promising feedback from the first round of readers. Fingers crossed it gets accepted. On top of that, it looks like I'll be giving a professional talk on my research at Harvard in March. It's exciting, but also intimidating; it's a roughly 45-minute talk, with an up to 30-minute Q&A. I doubt I'll be able to prepare enough.

Still job hunting, even though my current contract is for three years. With this market, you really can't take a year off.

Hope all my academic peeps are doing well. This semester has been grueling--mainly because I'm commuting not only to BU now, but also to Harvard.

I must have missed something, why are you still commuting to BU? But yeah, in the current academic market you can't take a year off the job hunt unless you have tenure/tenure track* at either a well endowed private university (hur hur) or populous state university. I completely relate to the difference in enjoyment in teaching directly to a limited number of students entering a field. When tutoring this was so rewarding, and in my limited upper philosophy classes, being able to converse with fellow majors was very rewarding versus the hoi polloi in foundations classes.

I'm past dissertation proposal now and about to be launching internship applications; really in a clinical grind now. Only have 1 CH of actual classwork remaining. Managing something like a 20-25 client caseload.

Reactions: Einherjar86
Out doing internship interviews and whatnot. Doing data collection on my dissertation. Getting major "senioritis" at this point lol. Just ready to be off doing clinical work. I love the people I'm in my program but I'm ready to move on after 7 years of school plus a gap year. Time for new vistas and actually getting paid enough to not need loans to make up the difference (yay for paying on those loans though). Plus my apt is old and poorly maintained and slowly falling apart, and I want to get out before it gets any worse :cry:. My kids deserve better.

Good luck! I imagine it's different in psych, but in the humanities all dissertations reach a point of diminishing returns, at which the amount of revising and work you continue to put into it isn't matched by any quality increase in the overall document. Part of the challenge is realizing when you've reached that point and it becomes a smarter decision to divorce yourself from the revising process and defend what you've done, and give most of your attention over to looking for a job. You can make any necessary tweaks or revisions in the book (after all, no one actually reads the dissertation outside your defense committee--if even them). Once you start feeling antsy to get out, it's probably a sign that you should.

Grad student compensation is shit. I realize part of the problem is knowing what you're agreeing to when you sign up (which a lot of grad students don't), but departments are taking advantage of grad student labor more and more these days. I've seen the workloads some BU grad students have to perform, and it's unconscionable. In some cases they're doing more grade-work and holding more student meetings than tenured faculty and getting paid a sliver of what the latter do.

In other news, I recently got my fourth article accepted for publication. It's a journal I've already published in, but a major one and I figure it's not bad to get a track record going somewhere. This one's on research for a potential future book, so it's nice to have something in writing somewhere. On top of that, Harvard bumped me up to FTE for the spring, which should carry through the rest of my appointment (fingers crossed). I got asked to take over a course on the postwar American road narrative, so I'll be doing that in addition to my advising/tutoring responsibilities. No more BU for the foreseeable future, which is bittersweet; but it'll be nice to shift all my attention over to Harvard.

Reactions: Dak
Yeah grad student compensation is mostly shit although my issue hasn't so much been the compensation I receive, it's just that it's not meant to support a family of four.

Beyond that, between abusing grad students and adjuncts, academia isn't exactly modeling good institutional employer behavior. One of the benefits of a PhD in clinical psychology is there are many non-professorship career paths.

I dont think the revision process will be too bad for my dissertation, the big hurdle is processing all the data, and then making sense of it in a useful, applied way.

Reactions: Einherjar86