The "Education" Thread

So I got a 98 in anatomy for the last quarter which leaves me with a B for the semester and thus exempt from the exam. Everything else is fucked though, other than a B for the last quarter in geometry
high enough grades makes you exempt from exams??
damn
wish we had that when the rest of us were in high-school

Picked up a three-week gig at Tufts this summer as a teacher for ESL students from Taiwan. Gonna be radically different than what I'm used to, but also a good, low-prep way to bring in some extra cash. Most of the curriculum/syllabus is prepared by the program; teachers can make adjustments as they see fit. It's Mon-Fri, but only 8:45-11:45, which means I'll still have a few hours each afternoon to work on my own material.

My school needs to hurry tf up and mail me my damn diploma. Those fuckers are notoriously slow with everything. Must I drive back down there and give everyone a Brock Lesnar style beatdown?

I start my job in 10 days, working as an admin for a company that works with the DoD. Should be interesting, and pays well. Just hate having to wear uncomfortable ass slacks and khakis in the summer, especially since I already sweat a lot. Whoever thought this should be the norm is hopefully in a very short line for the guillotine. Women can't even bitch because they have a few more options and flexibility with office dress code.

Nice! I'm not too hot on the 'pay's not great, but I'm in it for the pension,' so nice to see you're probably swinging both. When did you switch to computer science? I had the impression for some reason that you were doing an MA at Buffalo at some point -- UBuffalo used to have to have a couple of legends in my field, but the most prominent prof died a few years back.

Never really wanted to do a historys master just because I hate college and the teaching route is pretty saturated for social science teachers. None of my professors said I would be a good historian but rather a lawyer and never took the time to ask them why I sucked :lol:

Reason enough :lol: Yeah, you've really gotta be into the idea of doing college forever for historian to be a good career fit, at least in the academic realm. Public historians are real unicorns and jobs are really hard to come by in museums. Academic historians are a funky group of people though. My most recent experience excepted (aside from an old adviser I still keep close contact to), they seem very skeptical of encouraging the idea of pursuing a career in the field. I get that the job field can be pretty harsh and they're just trying to be realistic with students, but I think that approach is less than beneficial to the field and it overlooks the fact that PhD's in history find jobs outside of the field. If you're going to go into debt to get a PhD, sure, don't do it. Otherwise, it's just time. Worst case scenario in my case, I'll be either an over-qualified English instructor in Germany or an overqualified German instructor in the US. I really don't like language instruction, but I wouldn't regret having gone through the PhD process and developing the skills necessary for that purpose if I didn't land a sweet tenure-track position at an R1 at the end. I get my situation is a bit different and not exactly being settled on academia plays into my view.

Reactions: rms
I still thoroughly enjoy the idea of being a historian, just not comfortable putting all my eggs in that basket at age 30 :lol: maybe go back for master's one day, CS master doesn't intrigue me as much.

Where in Cincinnati? Surprised you didn't look into Xavier as they have a Classics program as well.

The university is in Oxford but I'm moving to Hamilton, a bit closer to Cincy. In my field there's very few job openings every year so this was the best place that gave me an offer. Assuming enrollments are stable and I don't fuck up, I'll be there for at least a couple years.

Reactions: Dak
The university is in Oxford but I'm moving to Hamilton, a bit closer to Cincy.

Yes, I was born and raised in Cincy. I am aware of where Miami is. Hamilton is surprising now because they are really trying to revitalize the area and even have their own craft brewery there. A better commute than living further south haha. I live about 30-40 minutes south of Hamilton depending on traffic.