US Education

ABQ is right, guys. It's happened before. Weight gain during pregnancy is different in all women. And who knows, she was probably on the pill, missed a couple of days when she was ovulating, and then had sex.

Edit: Women are more prone to missed/irregular periods when they're overweight so that probably has something to do with it as well.

I think this is perfectly appropriate for this thread.

Apparently there's a chick at work who found out 2 weeks ago (literally, from this day about 2 weeks ago) that she was pregnant. I guess yesterday she gave birth. How do you not know???
Holy shit. Imagine the surprise, and the short amount of time she had to deal with that. Crazy!

The answer lies in the fact that the US is a huge well populated country with a great division of the upper and lower classes, where as many other nationals that are more neutral are likely to at least be all literate, as opposed to the poor factions of our society where education, reading, ect, are not valued all too much, unfortunately. We can't blame the education system as much as we can blame the psychology of poor society here in the states

That's kind of a contradiction. How would you rectify the psychology of the poor society without educating them and making them literate?

Education only goes as far as a student's willingness to learn. What I am saying is that illiteracy is less a product of deficiency from our public schools and more of a problem with our poor and uneducated often times having little desire or values to make use of the education they are offered. The general values of "my parents didn't need education, so neither do I", and all of the distractions of crime, teen pregnancy, and drugs which are definitely more common in poor areas result in this problem. We have a lot of this in America while we also have some of the richest places, that is the problem. So I say it is not a public education problem, but a societal problem, one that is not easily fixed.

Work, better paying commercial or industrious jobs. I covered all this myself earlier in either this or the political thread. Not that any of that is carved in stone, what ones parents do for work or thier income does not necessarily mean a studious student, but they will still be literate. However our inner city problems evolve around that fact that there is no work or decent pay for hundreds of thousands. This is just a compounding issue, there is little incentive.

I dont agree with the poster 100% however, there is problems with teachers and the education system, but then I covered all that too... no ?... lol

The plight of inner-city schools situated in low income areas is due to many factors. For starters, there's little incentive for good teachers to work in those schools. Money, safety, stress, respect, lack of receptive students all dissuade qualified teachers as well. There's also a completely different mindset at these schools. Often times simply being able to meet minimum state requirements(which are already low) is viewed as a success. Meanwhile, problems like drugs, gangs, and other crime run rampant. It's a wonder that anyone can learn in some of these schools.

But yet some do. So yes, personal motivation is a factor. But the teaching is also a factor, to bring out that drive and give a quality education that connects to those people. I don't see lumping it as a social unsolvable as a productive conclusion.

But yet some do. So yes, personal motivation is a factor. But the teaching is also a factor, to bring out that drive and give a quality education that connects to those people. I don't see lumping it as a social unsolvable as a productive conclusion.

Absolutely some do. And you can only imagine the unrealized potential getting left by the wayside as the schools simply are not funded properly in virtually every facet. Far too many just "slip through the cracks." It's a damn shame when the state can feel good about taking the credit for the many many overachieving school districts while at the same time turning a blind eye to the failing ones.