The "Education" Thread

Yeah grad student compensation is mostly shit although my issue hasn't so much been the compensation I receive, it's just that it's not meant to support a family of four.

In Boston it doesn't match cost of living expenses for one person since rent is so damn high. Most of my colleagues had second jobs. The only reason I didn't have one was that my wife makes good money, although I worked summer jobs almost every year.

Reactions: Dak
I passed National Board, which if you're unfamiliar, is the advanced teaching credential. On the condition of completing a certain number of hours per year, I get a 15% raise from here on out. I was honestly shocked, as this is my second year working on the portfolio and didn't expect to get an overall passing score yet.

What texts are on the curriculum for tenth grade English?

Congrats btw :thumbsup:

I teach at an interdisciplinary school, so it’s mostly aligned with World History and I have a lot of freedom over curriculum.

First unit focuses on social movements. We study the United Farmworkers Movement and then students have some choice over the second movement they study.

Second unit is an argumentative unit on NAFTA and free trade. This is to parallel when the history teacher is teaching about the industrial revolution.

Third unit is a more traditional lit. analysis unit on Things Fall Apart.

Forth unit is one on the costs of war both now and during WWI. We look at the realities of war vs. the romanticization of war.

Fifth unit is on Night and the Holocaust. Some years I’ve been able to squeeze an argumentative mini-unit on the refugee crisis.

Sixth unit is on the Cold War and focuses on rhetoric. Sometimes I’m able to squeeze in some modern info on nuclear proliferation.

What do you think about Booker T Washington's educational and educational activities and his writing career? What impact did it have on the fight for the social rights of blacks?

I have great respect for the personality of Booker T Washington, who has made an enormous contribution to the development of enlightenment in the United States, which has helped rise to a new level of education for blacks. The resource https://studydriver.com/booker-t-washington-essay/ helped me a lot in selecting the literature and sources, in the process of writing and structuring and clustering the constituent parts of the test. I am a 30-year-old man that has very little education. I know how to read and write only a little bit. I support my family by working hard every day as a crop sharer. I work from sun break until a little after sundown, breakin’ my back working in the fields. These are the memories we modem to read about this man. Isn't it weird?

Last edited:
Friends, how do you think public education is successful for human development? Is it better to engage in self-education? and if so, how best to organize it?

Public school is utter dogshit in general. But it is a necessary evil. I think most people, without being taught the value of learning, wouldn't really give a shit about self-education beyond what it would take to help them earn an honest wage. Unfortunately, public education fails horribly in attempting to teach its students the value of learning. It's all based on useless and/or outdated information, bullshit standardized testing, and arbitrary/antiquated rules that only drive students away from wanting to learn.

I can safely say that, with the exception of the AP classes I took, nothing that I've learned was of any real use to me in college, and of even less use to me now as a post graduate. It's all a fucking joke

In this time of uncertain long-term job prospects and... you know, plagues... at least I can always count on these gems from the job lists:

Faculty are expected to integrate their personal faith and Christian worldview into course material, to maintain weekly office hours, to serve as an academic advisor to assigned students, and to participate in all faculty duties. Professors are expected to be orthodox Christians who have a strong personal faith, are role models in their piety and ethics, are regularly reflecting upon how their faith influences their discipline, and are willing and able to mentor students in their own relationship with Jesus Christ.

Send the little virgins my way, we'll read some Moby-Dick and talk about how religion is a tool for making sense of the physical world.

In this time of uncertain long-term job prospects and... you know, plagues... at least I can always count on these gems from the job lists:

Send the little virgins my way, we'll read some Moby-Dick and talk about how religion is a tool for making sense of the physical world.

The Pentateuch talks a lot about plagues and their prevention! Wash your hands, the walls, etc. Social distancing in the wilderness, etc. ;)

This doesn't quite go anywhere specific but it's getting rightly ripped everywhere I'm seeing it mentioned and it is education related:

https://harvardmagazine.com/2020/05/right-now-risks-homeschooling

It reads like something written 30 years ago, and I imagine the law professor hasn't updated her priors since the 90s. The mag starts out with sensationalism "rapidly increasing!". The number of homeschooled children in the US has doubled(!!) from 1999-2019 from 1.7% to 3.4%. Yuge numbers.

There's probably a name (I would like one for it anyway) for the rhetorical maneuver she uses throughout, which is similar to the one used when talking about the "gun show loophole": one describes a theoretically possible (and maybe objectionable) yet highly unlikely scenario, and then makes it sound like this is rampant. A blatant type of smear tactic. "People could homeschool who were never schooled!". Yeah, possible. Unlikely for many reasons. "Kids could be isolated!" Yeah, possible. Unlikely. "Kids could be abused (and there are no teachers to report it)!" Yeah, possible. Lower likelihood though than they are abused by a non-relative school teacher. Many such cases. She wraps up with fearmongering about fundies and academics, the first of which is outdated (again, that 30 years issue) and the latter has never been a problem. And then these gems showing a complete lack of self-awareness:
“But it’s also important that children grow up exposed to .......tolerance of other people’s viewpoints,”
“I think it’s always dangerous to put powerful people in charge of the powerless, and to give the powerful ones total authority.”
if parents want permission to opt out of schools, the burden of proving that their case is justified should fall on parents.

In looking up actual research on the current state of homeschooling as opposed to a misinformed polemic, I found this:

https://psycnet.apa.org/doiLanding?doi=10.1037/spq0000341

Whereas each family maintains its own reasons for deciding to homeschool, a factor for some families, including families of color, may be found in their response to institutions and systems that have historical roots in inequality, that have intentionally or unintentionally perpetuated inequitable outcomes for their children.
Homeschooling is described from a strengths-based perspective to promote appreciation for, understanding of, and culturally attuned services for these families.

giphy.gif

Reactions: HamburgerBoy
I just saw a paper from that bootleg-Elizabeth Warren Bartholet last night.

bartholet.jpg

Almost every argument she made towards abuse could be directed towards any activity or system where people that prey on children have increased access to them. "Did you know that some people choose to homeschool their children to prevent being caught abusing children?" "Did you know that some people choose to adopt children do so to prevent being caught abusing children?" "Did you know that some people choose to be Boy Scout leaders to prevent being caught abusing children?" "Did you know that some people choose to be high school wrestling coaches to prevent being caught abusing children?" No fucking shit you dumb communist cunt.

And then she describes outcomes. "There are many homeschooled children who end up working in a family business instead of going to college! Imagine that?! A person deciding to find work WITHOUT going to college! That's practically rape!" or "Even if it's true that there are higher rates among homeschooled children for college enrollment, they're underrepresented at Harvard. This is entirely the fault of homeschooling, btw, as Harvard is a completely fair and equitable college that does not in any way bias itself towards the nation's wealthiest elites, I would know because I am one"

Reactions: Dak
What do you think about European education? Is it better than ours in the USA? Now I am studying in college and it is not difficult enough for me especially after I started using research papers writing service https://academized.com/research-paper-writing-service . But I am also thinking about the university and many people say that it is better and cheaper to study in Europe

Last edited: