US Education

Kenneth R.

Cináed
Oct 28, 2004
Hallways of Always
The United States Literacy Rate ranks, according to Census data, tied for 18th in the world. This number gives the US a rate of 99%. However, that number is simply a default rate given to countries with no data for literacy among adults. The actual rate, depending on whose survey or book you consult, varies from 65% to 90%. 65% is below the average literacy rate for developing countries, 76.6%. Among those ranked above the United States are: Georgia, Cuba, Estonia, Poland, and Tajikistan.

With that as a preface, what is wrong with America?

I will call the first glaring issue the Geography of Importance. If one were to poll American high schools in 2000 for understanding of geopolitics in west-Asia and Africa, many would return a completely blank map. Some would attempt to label Israel or Egypt somewhere. Now in 2008, the same maps would be equally blank of Africa, but much of the West Bank and central Asia would be correct on many responses. Is it because professors are focusing on this region more? No, I argue it is because the media is. People have only learned how to pronounce Iraqi cities because the United States occupies them. We only know about Lebanon because they are involved in a conflict with Israel. In short, the only education the students (and adults) are getting is that from the maps on their TV.

This highlights another problem, because their tutoring is insufficient, they turn to television for their learning. Maybe they turn to television because they are lazy and it is easier to learn from a series of pictures that reads to you than read yourself. Though it is admirable to seek education where possible, the issue here is that the media is hardly more educated than their audience and their bias results in the passing on of erroneous and false 'facts'.

The Geography of Importance - because these places have military, economic, or scientific importance to the country, they are well known. Other regions near these countries are completely forgotten. It seems that the US only teaches about what it cares about - the good guys, the bad guys (all relative of course) and who has the stuff we want.
-------------------------------------------------------------
The next issue I'll address as the Scorn Of Books. While the English programs in American schools do still select many books for their courses, the selections tend to follow one of several troubling trends. The first is that the school is one of those open-ended touchy-feely schools, and so the students get to pick the books. This can be advantageous as they will be interested in what they must read. However, it opens the door to a lack of meaningful content if they pick pulp fiction like Dan Brown.

The second kind of problem is that the professors choose works too abstract or challenging for the grade level. This turns students off to reading (it's too boring/difficult). The few who do embrace the challenge, however, benefit greatly.

And finally a third problem is that the professor or students choose books that although meritous in the public sphere, are not relevant to the culture that is studying them. This results typically in disinterest/boredom again. The books aren't too hard or too easy to read, but the students don't connect.

So far I've just discussed school. Adults seem to read less because other media are faster and require less effort. Television shows consume the hours they would otherwise consider spending on reading. The internet, a valuable tool, replaces how-to and knowledge books. Though the internet can be considered an improvement, as it does allow a user to interact and converse with the topic, television is clearly a detrimental effect as the watcher simply sits and views, without any mental exercise to refute, contribute, or discuss.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Nationalism I will dubiously coin my third point.

Early in school, students are taught forms of government and economy. The various ideologies are presented along with their founders and some cursory history, and then, the issue presents itself.

The class is given the "correct" answer. Democracy and Capitalism are the greatest ideals of their respective subjects. This statement is given typically without recourse and without justification. Students accept it and believe it to be so.

The problem? While in many situations those two ideals are the best choice, they are not universally superior and that aspect of the truth is not revealed to students. Instead, a simplified version is given, with the effect of nationalism- the United States, as champion of both, (though often practicioner of neither), is then by conclusion the greatest place to live in the world. And that is a subjective idea not to be confused with one person's particular opinion based on certain values.
-------------------------------------------------------------
The Demise Of Grammar, Diction, and the Written Word shall come next.

Students are exposed to shortcut grammar, text message language that does little to reinforce understanding of English. "U" replaces "You". "Their/They're/There" become more common spelling errors. This I will attribute to the exposure (while exposure is not enough, it is a contributing factor) and the allowance of use of that exposed dialect by parents and teachers without instruction. (Such as "this is fine for texting, but don't write letters or speak this way.")

The next factor in destroying English is the failure of the abysmal 5 paragraph essay. Simply telling students to write an introduction ending or starting with their thesis and then 3 body paragraphs, followed by a restatement conclusion, is perhaps the worst instruction possible. It discourages creativity. It also greatly limits structure development skills and argument development skills. Furthermore, the result is something that no one wants to read, and because students know that, they don't want to write it. Instead of presenting a hard-coded format, professors should elucidate the mechanics and tools students have available to them in order to effectively make their point.

In the same breath as the 5 paragraph essay, the formatting war continues as students are forced to adhere to a prescribed method of writing. First brainstorm, then choose a topic, then write an outline, then a rough draft, then peer edit it, then revise, then continue until a final draft is submitted. While this teaches students the writing process, it also constrains them. Instead, as above, the professor should teach the reasons behind each step and let students come up with their own best working methods. Students who work well putting their work off until the last moment and writing a solid, unified paper on the final day suffer from the prescribed set. And they aren't the only ones.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Wrong Science. Or Junk Science.

I remember learning in 6th grade chemistry that the atom was a cluster of neutrons and protons, and that the electrons orbited in rings. This I later learned was false in 10th grade. What I was taught in 10th grade was proven false again Sophomore Year in college. And not because scientists did not know and only just now improved their understanding, but because for some reason the professors decided to dumb it down depending on the audience. While I don't expect advanced quantum physics in 6th grade, suppose a student *doesn't* go to that college. They will leave fully believing in something that is false.

Controversial science is also a point of contention. Instead of omitting it, I believe it is better to include all controversial science (and none of the philosophy, leave that for its proper course).

History, like junk science and biased nationalism, also suffers from selective teaching. It seems that many Americans only learn limited American history, and virtually no world history. They then go forth believing again whatever appears on television, whatever they hear in church, or whatever authority they ascribe to. Their ignorance is perpetuated by the failure of their education.
------------------------------------------------------------------
The Curse of the Lazy

The final source of it all seems to be the same. The way that classes are organized lends itself to teaching students to be lazy. Do not worry. You don't need to learn about this topic. The teacher will tell you the 20 words you have to remember, and when the test comes, you just need to arrange them on the page in a neat way and you will get full points. Reviews do not simply review, they completely reteach. And since what is taught is so threadbare, it is possible to hold single day reviews. The entire course, ultimately, is simply one day's worth of selected actual learning. Once you learn it, pass it, you forget it. Because the material (except perhaps in math, the only subject where Americans are exemplary) is not built upon.

That's my opening for this thread.

Your way over my head so I cant really comment. My only concern with education was that it was far to boring. I wanted it to get to the point and be alive, applied to real life not scribbling on a chalk board with a monotone voice.

I suppose other countries history or assets are important today but myself I still dont care about them. I really feel badly for current and future students. The need to know all this stuff to get through life is sad in my eyes. I will happily die a simple mechanical type of man.

I agree Steve. The relevance of education is important. Teaching kids stuff they won't need is useless. For example, I think a mandatory part of any high school education should be Credit. How checks, banks, and credit cards work is vital to understanding what you can and can't do with your money, and you don't learn this stuff unless you seek it out yourself, either from a friend or parent, or through a college level business or economics course. It really needs to be taught at the high school level.

I highly agree with both of you. I graduated from high school a few years ago, and I really disliked the experience. I am in no way a dumb person, but I was nearly failing every class. IMO, I find that schools go about teaching in completely wrong ways. They present the information in such a boring way, that I'd rather just not pay attention at all. Also, like you guys had said, they definitely teach a lot of things that have no relevance in life. It's a complete waste of time, for the most part. I've always said that they should teach the workings of credit, or any financial subject. Most people graduate from school and have no idea how to get started on their own. It's a big joke.

Another thing I hated about school was how everything had to be done the "hard" way. Sometimes, there was no advantage whatsoever in doing so, but in order to succeed, it had to be done.

I cannot stand reading, but every year, we had to read books and base a lot of projects off of them. I would fail the projects instantly because I could never bring myself around to reading the books. Some people enjoy reading, and to me, it is something to do out of enjoyment. It is not fair to the people who do NOT enjoy reading to use novels as the main focus for so many assignments. If it were a movie-watching, or music-listening course, I would've been pulling out As all over the place. Understanding language is important, but that can be done through regular-day observation, as long as you're good at absorbing information.

The thing is, as much as you might hate it, reading will make you a superbly better writer than watching movies will.

I definitely agree.

My English teacher in 11/12 grade (She started teaching 11th and then moved up to 12th the next year, so I had her again.) said the most important thing that is lacking in education is the emphasis on reading. She offered a lot of extra credit for each book read. I ended up reading so many books, I didn't have to do much else to get an A. That was one of the best moves I made in high school. My vocabulary, grammar and creativity increased to the point where I realized I really liked writing. My senior year I even began taking creative writing courses. A subject which I absolutely loathed up until that point.

In regards to the education system:

The teachers that had the biggest impact on me, and I'm sure others, where the ones that acted "human". It was so much better learning from the teachers who laughed and joked around as opposed to the ones who where always pissed off and whispered "I'll kill you, you little bastard" under their breath.

I highly agree with both of you. I graduated from high school a few years ago, and I really disliked the experience. I am in no way a dumb person, but I was nearly failing every class. IMO, I find that schools go about teaching in completely wrong ways. They present the information in such a boring way, that I'd rather just not pay attention at all. Also, like you guys had said, they definitely teach a lot of things that have no relevance in life. It's a complete waste of time, for the most part. I've always said that they should teach the workings of credit, or any financial subject. Most people graduate from school and have no idea how to get started on their own. It's a big joke.

Another thing I hated about school was how everything had to be done the "hard" way. Sometimes, there was no advantage whatsoever in doing so, but in order to succeed, it had to be done.

I cannot stand reading, but every year, we had to read books and base a lot of projects off of them. I would fail the projects instantly because I could never bring myself around to reading the books. Some people enjoy reading, and to me, it is something to do out of enjoyment. It is not fair to the people who do NOT enjoy reading to use novels as the main focus for so many assignments. If it were a movie-watching, or music-listening course, I would've been pulling out As all over the place. Understanding language is important, but that can be done through regular-day observation, as long as you're good at absorbing information.

Wow... if that wasnt like looking in the mirror. Still I realize that these courses were mandatory or important for those seeking higher education. They need to write alot of papers and need to know what they are doing. We had to read Moby Dick, I never did but then it seems I got in big trouble and crashed through part of the book. I was more interested in Hendrix and Heep lyrics. Did a project on Shakespearean theater but that seems like it was about the actual physical theaters. Some of us are just destined for disaster in regards to school. It really troubled my youth, I think I mentioned before I was the principles son, not pretty. I knew I wasnt stupid but lord they were killing me. I wasnt just being rebelous the whole thing just drove me nuts. I did great in shop class, phys ed, music and only English when it had something to do with literature (not book but poetry), that rest of that adverb, adjective, noun stuff was like "who cares". Im interested in history now but wasnt at that time. Thats where I came up with the DMF expression years ago (dumb mother fucker)... we are not useless though, just in regards to advanced non applied education. If its physical and shows some basis Im on it. For example that formula for volumn of a cylinder, simple enough but erked me in school, I learned it when I wanted to know the displacement of a racing motor I had over sized. Our particular math teachers were the best sleep medicine I ever had, so dry, so WTF are you talking about.... tangent, co tangent all seemed like a tangent to me. Why was I supposed to care what was inside of that smelly muskrat ? Our business courses taught about accounts, credit and such but I was always... "I know whats in my saving from mowing lawns and when I mow a few more I can buy a fuzz box". Lived my life like that, if I didnt have it I didnt spend it... how long does it take to teach someone that ? But people like me arent good for the economy, I believe they really want everyone on credit, thats how you make money doing nothing but handling it.

I know Im a simple dinosaur but people like myself are born everyday and we've left room for them in this new society.

Its still a good post Ken and Im sure many have more understanding of the benefits of your ideas. They make sense to me but are out of my league, or realm of understanding or interests.

Im thinking the entire highschool approach needs to be revamped so DMF's can see the actual application... but then doesnt that bring down those that more easily understand ?

I think showing the application is easy enough. Some professors do and they make class more engaging. Like my professor of history who only ever taught based on the current daily news worldwide, and how those events connected with history and how they affected us. Excellent class. He spoke fluent German too.

I have also always thought that there should be classes taught in high school about financial/real world subjects; however, banks, creditors, and financial institutions really do not want people to spend reasonably or responsibly. With people being taught to not spend so irrationally these institutions would not be rolling in nearly as much money as they do now.

On the note of education. I was also one of those who was smart yet really only got somewhat decent grades that allowed me to get through high school. I got mostly B's and C's, an A or D here and there. I agree for the most part with those who said that high school makes learning boring, and it seems to me that high school really is no more than a 4 year mandatory preperation for college. Another thing I have always thought was a problem is that in order to get into a college with a good scholarship you basically have to have it as a goal all through high school in order to make it happen; thus, one must somehow have their mind made up that they really want to go to college during the time of their life when they are the most confused about life, themselves, and social clicks. High school makes learning so uninteresting that a majority of students either flunk out, barely graduate without going to college, or do good but are so tired of school that they choose to start their lives without a higher education.

But a lot of times the bigger problems are with those who set the goal to go to college. These are people who are constantly told by their parents how important it is for them to go to college, and they do all the things required to go to make them happy. They then get to college and either have no clue what they really want to major in to make themselves happy, or they major in something they really don't care for just to get the degree and make good money. People tend to forget that education should be mostly for self fulfillment and the desire to know and understand more about the world. Everything in our society now is too directed at the desire for money, and education is no different. I think high school is a good time to not only teach students about real world things, but also a good time to teach them other educational things that are not part of the basic math, english, social studies, and science courses. I am sure there are a few high school educators out there that try to make learning more enjoyable for their students, but I think there needs to be a lot more that are like this. I think courses in subjects such as philosophy, religion, music (besides the typical school "band"), art (besides the typical drawing or painting course....something such as art history for instance), environmental humanities, sociology, and psychology, should be offered at the high school level. I understand that there are things in there such as philosophy and religion that will stir a commotion to parents; however, I believe that, if at the high school level a person can drive a car, they can also be mature enough to decide what kinds of things they want to learn about. The high school period of a person's life is a time when they are really starting to figure out who they are, what they like, and what they don't like.

I understand that the selections of what you want to learn about do not get really depthful until you get into college, yet I feel if just a little more selection and alternative courses were offered in high school it would give students a little better understanding of how different and more interesting college is over high school. Not only that, but it would also give students a better understanding of who they are.

The thing is, as much as you might hate it, reading will make you a superbly better writer than watching movies will.

I agree... I almost wish I didn't.

I am all for increasing knowledge. I love understanding a lot of different things, and listening to complicated ideas. I love having really deep conversations and analyzing every angle. Learning is very important, and I almost always pay attention and absorb the information. I did understand a lot of the criteria being taught in school, I just didn't do any of the work to showcase my understanding.

^ +1 Well said, man.

In some ways, I miss the days of old (very old, talking -200 years) when education was a self-pursued endeavour. You'd educate yourself enough to get admitted to a good college, study whatever you wanted to know there, get your degree, and move on up. It was all about what you wanted to learn (many notable cases branched into seemingly disparate directions, like Descartes for example, a mathematician and philosopher, among other disciplines). To me that says "here is the education I wanted, here is the education I paid for, and now I'm poised to make a difference in the world with my natural talents." Rather than trying to go through today's system, which attempts to factory mold every student into the same mundane "rounded" individual.

I don't understand the "core" classes that I, and all others it seems, have to take in university curriculum. I love history, English, foreign languages etc, but at this point, it's not worth the time that I will have to put into it to earn a good grade. I want to focus all of my efforts and spare time into math, physics and music, not into being "well rounded" as I have heard the term applied add infinitum. I would gladly pick up a history book , but not now. As interesting as it is, I have more important things to focus my attention on.

To be honest, I think it does more harm than good.

I don't understand the "core" classes that I, and all others it seems, have to take in university curriculum. I love history, English, foreign languages etc, but at this point, it's not worth the time that I will have to put into it to earn a good grade. I want to focus all of my efforts and spare time into math, physics and music, not into being "well rounded" as I have heard the term applied add infinitum. I would gladly pick up a history book , but not now. As interesting as it is, I have more important things to focus my attention on.

To be honest, I think it does more harm than good.

I never understood the whole "general requirement" thing in college either. For example, the main subject I have always had difficulty in was Algebra. Even though my major was in the humanities area I still had to complete a certain degree of math courses in order to meet requirements. That is just senseless and seems to be no more than a way for institutions to scare degree prospects away. If there is someone who wants to get a degree in history, it is just absurd to think that they have to pass any sort of math class that goes beyond simple arithmatic.

I think Finnish education system works pretty well although I think we share some problems. I think we do rank at the top tho, don't we?

At the moment I am studying (just got through the first year) in the upper secondary school, which is kinda same as highschool/college.

I've never had problems as school is quite easy for me. I have a talent of memorizing information very well after I just read it once and so far that has been all it takes to do well... Also, I feel like the most information we are taught is very useful so I don't feel like I'm there for no reason... Most of the time...

In the same breath, I think some degree of it is necessary. You can't very well have people who can't add. Obviously advanced topics are not necessary, but a basic understanding of algebraic math, history, science, and philosophy/psychology are perfectly understandable. Beyond that though, I wonder at why colleges even within the same degree (say, history) try to produce a crop of students who all have precisely the same educational focus. This does not seem productive to me, for society or those students.

Maybe it comes down to resources? In order to offer a wide array of areas on certain subjects they would have to hire more people. I don't pretend to know, though. To a large degree, I think students should pursue things on their own.

As for the basics, ideally students should have at least a little more than basic knowledge of things from high school. Math, science etc.

I think much of the education reform needs to start in the home. Today's parents are all too absent from the growth and learning of their children. Many parents seem to think their responsibility solely lies in the satisfation of their own whimsies and desires rather than ensuring their children are a) being taught appropriately and b) learning what they need to learn. If parents were more dedicated to being in the classrooms with their children, particularly their very young children, they would form an early bond with their children that will last throughout the child's growing years. The child would learn to depend on their parents for learning assistance, and that the parents would be there for the child in all situations. Instead, too many parents drop off their kids at 6:30 am on their way in to work, and then pick them up from after care at 6:30 pm, on their way home from work and office relationships.

With a closer relationship, bond, and reliance, children will grow into teen agers knowing they can go to their parents with any issues. A tight family will prevent children from falling in with a crowd merely to receive that "family" so overwhelmingly desired during these formative years. They will stick to their books and they will learn as they should.

My best friend died last October. He was a model parent I still look up to this day. His kids would have rather stayed home on a Friday night to play family games and do family stuff instead of going out with friends, potentially finding trouble. His family unit was extremely tight, but not at the expense of activities for the children. His girls play on basketball teams (and he even volunteered to coach) and his son plays soccer. I seek to emulate such a relationship with my children, and I know that I must overextend myself now while my kids are still forming their identities. My guaranteed legacy for this world lies in my children, and I will do my best to ensure my legacies are successful.

Will such a relationship translate into geniuses who graduate college at age 17? That's not at all what I aim for. I aim for healthy-minded children who have learned what they are supposed to learn in school before they are suddenly thrust into the wide open world.

So, we can get into discussions about credit and money. I went to a Dave Ramsey class earlier this year, and it was amazing to me some of the common-sensical values pointed out during the 90-day once-per-week seminar. I don't see where education about credit and money will ever permeate public schools, due to the mass money of private interests that will ensure that door is closed. But, again, I look to parents to provide the leadership and teaching to their children. This education is simple though: a) don't buy anything unless you have the money to buy it; b) save your money with an eye toward the future rather than sating your "needs" now; c) learn how to make your money grow through intelligent investing; d) our grandparents (for some of you, your great-grandparents) survived in life without a credit rating - you can too; and, e) give give give.

I agree Mark, parents need to do more. So do schools to keep it from getting "undone" as soon as they enroll. It's a joint effort and right now, we've got pretty much neither in the general sense.

Part of the reason my daughter goes to private school, but that's another thing altogether.

I don't know that any money budgeted for education will fix the problems with much of our schools. I think it's more of a state issue than a federal issue. I would foresee the increased money going to pay for more administrators and BS-sweepers rather than meaningful materials, teacher salary increases, etc. To further that point, I think our education issues can go right to that point - I'm not sure what school districts are like where you live, but what I see here are way too many administrators taxing the system and usurping money that should be going to our children. Why do we need so many administrators? Are they teaching our kids anything? Surely we can operate the back ends of our systems more efficiently and effectively, and put the money in the proper place.

If we can't clean up what we have now, more money budgeted to the problem will simply be wasted, as it is now.

The feds can still ask the states to do something about it to comply. Though the parents also need to voice complaint, and lately all they've been doing to voice complaint about is turn schools in the other direction - towards politically correct meaninglessness.