[Editing] Where is your position of Transient/Peak relative to the Click/Kick ?

Best editing position ?

• On the Peak

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • On the Transient

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • After the Peak

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Other ?

Votes: 3 12.0%

• Total voters

ali3

Sep 14, 2008
What do u think ? what achieves the tightest sound?

And what about Bass? same as guitar?

ultimateMetalForum.jpg

Same as Morgan C

You also have to keep in mind that the first transient you see of the guitar isnt really the first one as you have some kind of sound before that allready, very slightly.
At least IMO it always worked good for me to keep it in mind while editing.
If you cut it right at the transient at the start to me it sounds very robotic, and somethings missing.
So 2 should be about right

I'd think it'd be much easier to edit kicks/snare to the grid, since the gird won't be audible.....I'd also agree with guitars/bass right after the kick.

For me is mostly dictate by music genre, song and performence.

I never edit right to the grid. But let's say you have great drum performence for begin with.

Metal/heavy stuff: I always edit 2ms after the grid
For modern rock stuff: always between 2 and 4ms after the grid

Before the grid sound pushed, some kind of urgency for me.
Right on the grid sound mecanic.
After the grid (2ms after) sound tight, and between 2 and 4ms sound relaxed and have a more human feel.

I don't edit a country song like I edit a death metal song so use your hear.

After doing drum I pocket (it's more pocketing than editing in fact) guitar and bass in relation to my drum (since my drum was already pocketed with the right feel for the song).

First transient (exemple1) but I put my fade generally 20ms earlyer (just before plectrum attack).

Hope that help.

when you say slightly behind, you mean like in picture 2 of the OP?

Yep.

Slightly related to the OP (which seems to be answered now), at 2:56 of I Will Not Bow by Breaking Benjamin, you can hear the scrape of the guitar before it hits the chords. Sounds badass, but even if I leave in the little bit before the transient, I never get that much scrape. What are they doing there?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you always edit 2 ms after the grid, and you don't have any midi stuff going on, isn't that practically the same as editing right to the grid? You just move the "grid" 2 ms later? Or did you mean "something like 2 ms, not that accurately" or something?

Sounds badass, but even if I leave in the little bit before the transient, I never get that much scrape. What are they doing there?
I think it's both an early scratch with the pick before the actual attack and a loose muting before the hitting the strings - actually not very difficult to play, IMHO. Of course then comes the editing which leaves the early part "before the grid"

If you always edit 2 ms after the grid, and you don't have any midi stuff going on, isn't that practically the same as editing right to the grid? You just move the "grid" 2 ms later? Or did you mean "something like 2 ms, not that accurately" or something?

You have the drums hit on the grid, the rest 2ms later.

Don't really have any rules for this. Whatever sounds good. I generally try to make the kick transient arrive before the rest of the material, but sometimes it works well the other way too.

Yep.

Slightly related to the OP (which seems to be answered now), at 2:56 of I Will Not Bow by Breaking Benjamin, you can hear the scrape of the guitar before it hits the chords. Sounds badass, but even if I leave in the little bit before the transient, I never get that much scrape. What are they doing there?

[/url]

You just have to kinda sweep the notes of the chord instead of just strumming them all at the same time. It's not a production thing, it's a player thing.

the kick, and if possible the snare, are always peak to grid, whilst guitar and bass are transient to grid, otherwise they tend to get lost.

unless you're playing a blues solo or something, the feeling is mostly in the velocity, not the timing. everything out of time tend to kill the feel since people nowadays are used to "100% grid"-style productions.

unless you're playing a blues solo or something, the feeling is mostly in the velocity, not the timing. everything out of time tend to kill the feel since people nowadays are used to "100% grid"-style productions.

I disagree, timing affects the feel a lot.

Another thing to add to the discussion, if you've got a snare and kick hitting at the same time (or if you're programming them), do you line them both perfectly up, or one in front of the other? I find snare a tiny bit later than the kick works well.