Educational Television

Cosmos owns.

Anyway, Jerry, I dont have teh cabel but sometimes I go to hospitals where there is some good cable and I catch shit like this. Today I got to see "How It's Made" which is a real cheesy Canadian show but interesting nevertheless. I also watched some engineering show. There's about 50 of them: Modern Marvels, Mega Builds, Blood Sweat and Oil, etc. All awesome.

I like watching nature shows when animals get into fights. Kinda like when those lions take out a fucken elephant on Planet Earth!!

There's a bunch on youtube. I can't get to youtube due to my firewall at work....but search for "monkey vs dog". Brilliant stuff. :tickled:

book tv on c-span is pretty great, but the money-grubbing assholes at comcast got rid of that channel back home. c-span in general is amazing--one of the only places on television where intelligent conversation ever actually takes place. frontline on pbs is decent as well, and of course the history channel is fun.

ESTAL -- Good Morning America, ABC television's long-running morning news program, is scheduled to air a segment Tuesday day on three Vestal boys and their escape Saturday from an icy pond at Binghamton University's nature preserve.

Sam Sejan, 11, and Jerome Chalson, 13, both of Vestal spoke to an ABC reporter Monday night about their experience. A third boy, 11-year-old Josh Lane was not present for the interview. His family declined an invitation to participate in the ABC interview.

But his mother talked with a Press & Sun-Bulletin reporter. "There were too many coincidences here," said Jolene Hamann, Josh's mother. "There was a bigger hand in this."

Like Jerome's and Sam's parents, Hamann offered thanks to the emergency personnel who pulled her son and Jerome from the freezing water.

All three youths were playing on an iced over pond Saturday at the BU nature preserve -- an activity they now describe as a bad idea. The thin sheet of ice cracked and the three plunged into the icy water.

Sam kicked off his shoes, pants and coat and crawled out of the water. He got the idea, he said, from watching the Discovery Channel's Man vs. Wild with Bear Grylls. Sam ran a half-mile through the woods to a neighbor's house to call for help.

Jerome and Josh could not immediately get out of the water and struggled to hold on to the cracking ice until rescuers arrived.

Robert Golmulka, 56, of Vestal, was jogging near the pond, when he heard the screams. A call from Golmulka summoned emergency personnel and likely saved the two youth's lives, according to firefighters and police on the scene. The expected survival time for a person in water between 32.5 and 40 degrees is 30 to 90 minutes according to the U.S. Search and Rescue Task Force.

The episode featuring the Vestal youths airs at 7 a.m. today on ABC, which is WIVT, Channel 34, or Time Warner Cable 6 in the Binghamton area.

Damn, this story made me teary eyed. Bear Grylls is the fucking man. :kickass:

when I was in Ireland, I was watching the British version of Man Vs Wild, Born Survivor, and some of the stuff Bear Grylls shows is different than the American version. It was weird. Same episodes and the same content the majority of the time...but every now and then he'd show something that wasn't in the American version