Effects for Death Metal Voice

estigma2001

Apr 13, 2002
Lima Peru
www.geocities.com
My band Narkan is recording an split cd and we love the effects on the Max Cavalera voice in the song Roots Bloody Roots, please anyone here has a clue about what to use?
Thanks in advance
Cheers:kickass:
:headbang:

yeah thats what im talking about, i mena i have the growl voice as max does but his voice has something more on that album. I heard de RBR demo version and the album version and the voice in the final version has tons of power and brutallity!!!!:headbang:

I'd never use that on ALL the vocals on a death metal album though... On some parts here and there if it adds something to the song maybe but that's it.

wasn't it ross robinson that did that album? He uses these old cheap pre-amps with all the knobs turned to full- says he used that alot on vocals for a bit of grit. Saw a post about it before- i'm sure if you search for his gear list somewhere you can find moree specific info on it

yeh Robinson did roots
i remember reading the article that Max did .....he was talking about the first time he heard the new korn CD......He wanted to totally change and become that sound.....so he got Ross and tuned down...........

i do like roots though but that was the end of sepultura which was sad

Chaos A.D.:kickass:

yeh Robinson did roots
i remember reading the article that Max did .....he was talking about the first time he heard the new korn CD......He wanted to totally change and become that sound.....so he got Ross and tuned down...........

i do like roots though but that was the end of sepultura which was sad

Chaos A.D.:kickass:

Same here. Except for the fact that i enjoy what Sepultura has done without Max.

Chaos AD > :worship:notworthy:worship:

I'd never use that on ALL the vocals on a death metal album though... On some parts here and there if it adds something to the song maybe but that's it.

+1 !
If you add this kind of stuff to the vocals through a whole album, it takes the dynamics off it. If you add it on some parts, I will even add "dynamics" or "drama" or how you want to call the voice that doesn´t make a listener switch because it´s exhausting simple´n´same all the time :)

I believe some of the reverbs and shit came from recording in some cavern somewhere, added some atmosphere to it. And I'm not sure if the overdrive sound heard on Max's vocals are just like Egan said the fact they were driving that shit hard. Similar to the last line on Fucking Hostile by Pantera, wasn't that just them cranking the volume and the preamp breaking up?

I believe some of the reverbs and shit came from recording in some cavern somewhere, added some atmosphere to it.

Hahahahahhahha, even though Sepultura are hardly black metal, recording in a cavern is so fucking KVLT :lol:

Max has always been a big fan of delay on vocals (you can hear it quite clearly on the "Roots Bloody Roots", listen 1:10 forward), and especially reversed delay (for example C-part on Territory and many many Soulfly songs), also there seems to be distortion from heavy overdriving on the preamp 1:35 forward