DEATH GROWLING?

Ben Johnson said:
If Melissa Cross is so great, why does her "scream" fucking SUCK? It's the most irritating, abrasive sound imagineable. It doesn't even sound like a scream at all - it sounds like Jim Carrey making "the most annoying sound in the world" in Dumb and Dumber. And her growl is weaker than any I've ever heard. Granted, she's a woman...but so is Angela.

So why should anyone listen to what she has to say if she can't even make what she's teaching sound good herself?

she doesnt really teach you how to make yourself sound any better than your own shitty voice already sounds really, just makes it easy to do without hurting yourself etc. angela sounds great yea, with how many effects?

JBroll said:
Oh, and it's 'accepting'. Not 'excepting' - that would imply making an exception of something, which is the opposite of what you're trying to say. I'm just obsessive-compulsive, don't take it personally; spelling and improper word choice (too/two/to, accept/except, affect/effect, et cetera) drive me nuts.

Jeff

Don't take this personally either... no one cares. This is the internet. Take deep breaths and forget grammar. I'd bet you a bottle of prozac that people get more annoyed at people who correct grammar then people who dont proof read a post on a metal forum.:headbang:

About finding vocalists. Neva gonna happen. I see at least 100 singers a year and vocal talent is harder to find. Its not even a valid comparison..its just common sense. You mic up everyone on this forum and a decent percentage can growl but almost none could fit in with any of Rocks singers---even the average ones.

It all depends on where you set the standards, then, at this point - if you're looking for people who can sound like Halford, then yes you're going to be hard pressed anywhere you go - but the same goes for guys like Devin Townsend and Bjorn Strid - how many guys like that can you find me (seriously - I need one)? I would hold that because singing is more along the lines of what people do on a normal basis - talk with the voice box - it would be easier for people with any musical inclination or training to extend their voice if they were told to keep their larynx down and breathe from the diaphragm than it would be for one to utter an ungodly roar that terrified all who heard it.

We also have the problem of growlers being such a small percentage of vocalists - maybe if we see a huge uprising in growl popularity we'll know, but I'd maintain that it's similar to running quickly and walking on your hands - one of them you already have, another takes a lot of practice and is not often attempted.

I don't think a decent percentage on the forum can growl - a few who posted advice, sure, but not any more than can sing along in their car and hold a decent tune and tone. I've been working on both and being familiar with at least the breathing techniques used in large woodwinds, and having an above average sense of pitch, I can do a much better job of clean vocals than grunting, even though I've been working on the death stuff several times as long as clean singing. As for the almost none part, a lot of people who post clips with vocals - Shane with his Backmask stuff being my favorite example - do a good job with clean sounds. Phase, I challenge you to a mic-off!

Jeff

Carrier Flux said:
I already told you man. the Pro Co Rat distortion pedal. just go buy it and instant *poof* death metal awesomeness. Normally we don't give away this important secret to newbies like you, but you seem pretty cool so I thought I'd let you in on it.

btw you'll need one of these as well: http://www.zzounds.com/item--CBIAN424

just plug your sm57 into your RAT PRO CO distortion pedal, then that into your soundblaster live card on your computer and you're set.

yeah if he wants to sound like reznor.

i'm trying to learn to do this kinda thing for backing vocals in my band...it's not easy

from time to time i can let out a good low end growl, but it's usually pretty weak sounding...trying to focus on that AND playing guitar is no easy task for me either

BTW, finding someone who can do this kinda stuff and do it well is no easy task

Sweetnothing said:
This has to be the ultimate death growl from hell http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7oCDbDebDA
:lol:
JABBA.jpg

cobrahead1030 said:
i'm trying to learn to do this kinda thing for backing vocals in my band...it's not easy
who said that it will be easy? =)
more practice!

stringy_ said:
How loud is this stuff supposed to be? I can do it quietly, like at a spoken-voice volume, but I can't really project it loudly. Is that where I'm screwing up? Trying to get it too loud?

i've met a handful of singers that take that approach, and have never been a fan of it..it always sounds like they're holding back; it can work ok live, but when you try to record it really shows it's ugly face

i usually tell those guys that they sound like a pissed off granny (no offense)

Roodboy said:
who said that it will be easy? =)
more practice!

a lot of people who aren't into more extreme metal think it's easy, i can say from experience that (atleast for me) it most certainly isn't...which i'm cool with, as long as i can achieve a satisfactory result