effects, triggers

Dollarosa

Jan 17, 2009
Hey guys

I love to use reverse cymbals here and there to build up silence into a heavy part of the song. Alot of cds I have been listening to use other effects (stutter ect, or even synths), I was wondering what the rest of you use? Why I am asking this, is that I am looking for some effects for a new project I am doing at the moment. If anyone has samples that would be great.

Also what are some cheap drum triggers that I can use to run thru my mixer. I just want something that can isolate each drum, as I will be replacing later on with drumagog (nearly have enough for the new slate samples). I have never replaced before to a huge extent, but listening to some of the drum mixes on this, I want to give it a go.

Thanks

rvrs anything is kinda overused, but effective. try not to use it as a crutch though. think outside the box. find something from the session that's unique and exploit it. a lot of times what i do is tie in something from the overheads or a weird noise from guitar or something and just do weird things to it so people don't hear it and say "oh, stock sample" or "hey i have that same sound in one of my download folders!"
and if you REALLY insist on using a reverse cymbal in a mix, a good tip is to make the sample yourself from a clean sustained cymbal hit from THAT SONG and process it the same (or even better, place it on the same track) as your live cymbals. that way you don't have incongruent high frequencies that sort of clash like having 2 different shades of red on the same wall.