Effects..pre-fader or post-fader?

The-Zeronaut

Mixing..Y U SO DIFFICULT?
Sep 24, 2007
Sorry if this is a dumb question but im a fucking n00b

Do you put plugins (reverb,delay,comp...) pre-fader or post fader on your mixes?
do you do that in all the effects?
and...Why do you do that?

thanks for the help!:headbang:

p.s: sorry if there´s something wrong with the english.

Yep, you're right Keith. And Zeronaut, it's pretty much always best to put FX pre-fader, because if they're post then that means if you move the fader up and down you're changing the amount of signal hitting the effects. This probably wouldn't be too bad for eq's, but for compression it's DISASTROUS because compression is dynamics (volume) processing, so if you change the volume, then you have to change the compression settings, not fun. In fact, I'd love it if someone could think of a time where you wouldn't want FX pre-fader!

And your English is perfect, btw! :)

I only use post fader if its an special type of fx, or if i want to 'crossfade' the pure signal with an aux track.

Why though? If I'm not using an aux send/bus, then I'm using reverb/delay as an insert with the mix slider/knob adjusted accordingly (this is all ITB, mind you) so I don't see why having that pre-fader would make a difference (hasn't been an issue so far!)

if reverb is post fader, any volume changes you may make with the fader will NOT affect the amount of reverb or delay. If you have the level of the reverb set exactly how you want it, then thats a good way of not mucking it up

In fact, I'd love it if someone could think of a time where you wouldn't want FX pre-fader!

When you're bussing out to a compressor for parallel comping - you don't want the level hitting that compressor and making it act to change when you change the level of the track itself ;).

Also, super cool effect - automate your vocal verb send to go post fader, level up, and then automate the volume on the actual vocal track to go down. It creates a kind of 'falling into a hole' effect that can be really cool when used properly.

When you're bussing out to a compressor for parallel comping - you don't want the level hitting that compressor and making it act to change when you change the level of the track itself ;)

You're right, though misunderstanding me, so let me rephrase my question - can anyone give me an example of a time you wouldn't want an insert to be pre-fader?

And botus, I'm still not following - why would you want the amount of delay/verb to stay the same despite level changes, when the proper amount AFAIK is determined by its proportion to the direct sound, thus when changing the level of the direct sound you want the amount of delay/verb to change accordingly?

And botus, I'm still not following - why would you want the amount of delay/verb to stay the same despite level changes...

I guess "amount" wouldn't be the clearest word. If you want to keep the same RATIO of dry/wet reverb signal, then post-fader is what you want so then...

...when changing the level of the direct sound you want the amount of delay/verb to change accordingly?

bingo. Or else you would end up with this effect (for better or worse...)

Also, super cool effect - automate your vocal verb send to go post fader, level up, and then automate the volume on the actual vocal track to go down. It creates a kind of 'falling into a hole' effect that can be really cool when used properly.

Hope that made sense :loco:

Awesome idea.

i do this alot with hip hop and r&B

I could see a few inserts being post fader. A ditherer or a sonic maximizer sort of thing. Or some sort of analog/tape simulator sort of plug, which is basically a sonic maximizer.

Of course FX sends are typically best sent post-fader as well.

I'm sorry to revive this thread, but aortizjr, why do you say FX sends are typically best sent post-fader?

In Pro Tools to get the sends Pre-fader you have to click in the "Pre" button inside the level assignment of the send right? Let's say I have, a kick, snare, toms, with sends to compressors and reverbs, and a sinewave trigger to the kick, Would it be best to have them all Pre-fader? Because if I lower the volume down of the kick, it will have less compression as well etc right?

I'm sorry to revive this thread, but aortizjr, why do you say FX sends are typically best sent post-fader?

Depends entirely why it gets sent to the FX send. If its a reverb/delay/echo/other kind of space effect that should be turned down when the effect fades away, it should be post fader. But if its for monitoring, parallel compression or such, then it should be pre-fader.