Effects..pre-fader or post-fader?

Also, super cool effect - automate your vocal verb send to go post fader, level up, and then automate the volume on the actual vocal track to go down. It creates a kind of 'falling into a hole' effect that can be really cool when used properly.

I may be misunderstanding, but from my knowledge this effect you speak of would be done by setting the FX send to pre-fade. Having it on post-fade would mean the verb send would diminish along with the fader level being pulled down.

Once again I may be misunderstanding or have my wires crossed, but that statement didn't read right to me.

It's actually simpler to understand if you picture a real-world physical mixer scenario.

Remember that an insert breaks the chain (signal flow) so that whatever is incoming will go somewhere else, and then get back in line. This is obviously pre-fader, meant for dynamic processors and _not_ spatial/special effects as you need the settings to remain constant regardless of the amount of signal sent in/returned back.

For effects, it's via Aux sends and returns _usually_ post-fader. Budget mixers almost always default to that and do not provide you with a pre/post button. The reason why most of the time effects are post is due to the balancing required when the send level is changed; return level needs to change too.

Hm.... I understand that, but Post-Faders should always be reverbs, delays, tape-echos, etc... bu when we're talking about compression in an aux, meaning paralell compression etc, if should be pre-fader so it acts continuosly right?