Eliminator - Breaking The Wheel

Thrash Destroyer

New Metal Member
Sep 26, 2014
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H26lYFDED4A[/youtube]

This album is a classic brutal thrash album. Easily in the top thrash metal albums, and it was actually released in 2008. It carries the spirit and aggression of 80's underground thrash metal but with a uniqueness in execution. Also the drums and gutiars are extremely technical, almost like a drum machine, and some say a drum machine was actually used on the recording. This gives the album a very nihilistic sound, as if to say...we don't need real drums to thrash...we will use FAKE drums. It is the essence of extreme. And their drummer is actually a virtuoso drummer any how, so it's not like he couldn't play it, in fact they have recordings with him playing the music note for note. This album is so brutal I wouldn't be surprised if someone kills themself to it, which I hope happens so that they actually get some fame that they deserve.

This album is so brutal I wouldn't be surprised if someone kills themself to it, which I hope happens so that they actually get some fame that they deserve.

haha this is quite honestly one of the best/funniest/most idiotic things I've read on this forum in a long time. Cracked me up.

The album is non stop brutality. If someone shoots someone or themself from listening to this album that could get Eliminator famous - although being famous is weak and wimpy maybe it could get them some extra money. They are underground and could use some support. Although this wouldn't be necessary, it would be funny and awesome at the same time. You are wrong to the say the comment was idiotic, and in fact you are the idiot. Anyway, keep the thread on topic. This is about Eliminator.

Is the guy behind the band still doing stuff? I thought after Brokenhearted Balladeers and that other one they basically disappeared.

Well Warchild changed his name to The Prophet and Professor Dr. Sand my pals Shah since he is a Sand my pals. Their material after "Breaking The Wheel" is good but it's not really thrash based except for "The One They Were Waiting For", which is a truly avant garde album in the extreme metal category. They experimented heavily in different musical directions. I am familiar with Sam, their drummer and he told me they are doing very raw brutal thrash as their next album. This should be a good change, although I am a fan of all of their music.

I don't remember anything avant-garde about that album. IIRC it was more "Hai look guise we can put a blues rock or ragtime section in this song, aren't we so quirky?"-metal.

Giving the first song a listen and...honestly not impressing. Production is clear and modern but lacks weight, riffs are generic and unmemorable, lots of complicated leads that completely fail to evoke the wailing fury of classic thrash leads...they can play their instruments but there's just so much of this stuff out there I see nothing special about this.

I don't remember anything avant-garde about that album. IIRC it was more "Hai look guise we can put a blues rock or ragtime section in this song, aren't we so quirky?"-metal.

Hahah. Here is one really great review of "The One They Were Waiting For" on Metal-Archives:

The one I was waiting for - 98%
epicdrumline, June 8th, 2014

Before I start this review, I want to say that this is not an ordinary metal album that can simply be put into a single genre and is very different from almost anything ever made in terms of style and creativity. This is also one of the most inaccessible albums I know of because how far out in left field it is comparatively to basically everything. I will try and do justice to this master-work by explaining everything as it deserves.

Eliminator is mostly known for their debut album "Breaking the Wheel" which was a self-dubbed "speed black" album, but was hailed as an over the top amazing thrash album and an unbeatable debut for them. The next album they produced was nothing short of a blues album mixed with some punk or raspy vocals; needless to say I wasn't very into that album. This album however combines these two extremely different genres in a way I've never heard and done in the best ways possible. The album opener, "Atish" is an 18 minute long adventure of a song. I am personally a fan of very long songs, if they are done right and this by far is my favorite song of the album, and also my favorite song from any band, period; yes it is that good, people. The song opens with some of the most beautiful and complex guitar playing ever written, which then leads into a mad riff-fest, which then leads into the meat of the song. I will say if you're not a fan of more instrumentals than vocals, this will not be your song because a large majority of the song's duration is them just playing to the limit of their abilities, and it is just mind-numbingly amazing. Every song on the album has its own special catch to it, but one thing they all have in common is that they all have some crazy transition, whether it be a break into Gregorian monk-esque humming/bellowing or Warchild seemingly fighting with himself in a spoken word section. These little eccentricities in the songs make them something special in a sense that no one does these kinds of crazy things and can actually get away with it sounding good, let alone amazing.

The strong points in this album are the writing and the instrumental work, and the only weak point I could think of is the funding side. Ill start with the positives: this album holds some of the most eloquent and intelligent lyrics to be found anywhere; and it also holds some the silliest. "Atish" and "Honey Sacrifice" and so well written that when I got a hold of the physical copy and read the lyrics, it gave me chills. On the other hand, "Goodness Is Dead...Enter the Black Hole, Fucker!" contains more vulgarity and is just odd sounding, but it all actually comes together very nicely, if you're in the mood for something a little more silly. The instruments are as high class as high class gets on this record. Warchild is an absolute demon on the guitar/bass and to put it lightly, he is very overqualified for his position. He can play some of the meanest, nastiest riffs and down-picks known to mankind, yet he can still play aurally some of the most pleasing and beautiful notes to ever grace your ears. Samus on drums is no slacker either; he is very creative in his work, never using a single fill or just blasting for eternity. It is always fast and unpredictable. There is also a lack of double stroke bass, which is actually a relief because the drums are in fact triggered, yet they wouldn't sound right if they were not; it just fits perfectly for what they are trying to make here. The weakest thing about this album is probably the production. While it is still very high quality compared to a lot of other bands, some of the instruments sometimes over-power each other at times, which does in fact take a small amount away from the experience. The cover art and actual physical copy of the CD is very low budget looking, seeing as how their debut album had art from the famous Ed Repka, and this is just a photograph of Warchild and Samus. The Physical copy is also nothing that stands out, seeing how the booklet is only 2 pages and the disc is very plain. These are all very small complaints and should detract form you listening to this magnum opus, but it is worth mentioning everything here.

The reason I think this album has been overlooked and is very inaccessible is that fact of all of its eccentricities. Three of the title tracks are actually just spoken word poem reads, and some of the songs do get very strange at times. These things are actually an asset in my opinion, like I said before, no one really does this sort of thing and this is proof that more people should. This may not be the most brutal, technical or fast album to ever be released, but it is one of the most groundbreaking in terms of creativity and inspiration. I hope to see more of this sort of thing in the near future, because if albums like this came out at least once or twice a year, music would be so much farther than it is currently and can only benefit everyone in the long run. If you haven't already heard this album, you must right now because everyone, no matter what genre is your favorite, should listen to this masterpiece as soon as possible!

Stand-out tracks: Atish, Honey Sacrifice, Me and the Devil Blues

Giving the first song a listen and...honestly not impressing. Production is clear and modern but lacks weight, riffs are generic and unmemorable, lots of complicated leads that completely fail to evoke the wailing fury of classic thrash leads...they can play their instruments but there's just so much of this stuff out there I see nothing special about this.

Check out this song by The Prophet and Professor Dr. Sand my pals Shah's other band, Intifada SS:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUxucoYjx1g[/youtube]

Although the brutality of "Breaking The Wheel" is unmatched, the recording here is very raw and the solos are also more chaotic sounding. The spirit is still the raw brutal feel of "Breaking The Wheel".

Yeah I'm not checking out Professor Dr. Sand my pals Shah's Intifada SS. I'm open-minded about lyrics and imagery, but I draw the line at racism. I'd be willing to reconsider that position if bands that use their music as a soapbox for racism didn't basically all suck (The only exception I can think of is Arghoslent, who are still pretty overrated).