Define the styles of thrash

Hammer of Might

New Metal Member
Jul 25, 2003
London, England
So it's still a very popular genre, but what are the defining aspects of the different sub-genres within it.

You often see people talking of "Bay Area Thrash" or German thrash, so let's have a go at classifying the different styles, periods, or whatever.

I expect a lot of people just think of thrash as a homgenous group of bands playing fast aggressive riffs and drums, but there is actually more definition within the genre, which is clear from listening to various bands.

So define the styles of the different areas, and also have a stab at the changing style of thrash through the years - ie. what are the characteristics of early thrash, 90s thrash, modern-day thrash, etc. - it could be quite interesting and informative.

If only I wasn't lazy...typically, Bay Area leaned to a more melodic side a la Heathen, Testament, Exodus, etc., while German thrash used harsh vocals, etc. And stuff.

German thrash bands tend to sound a lot like Slayer to me. They usually are more intence and raw than florida thrash. Except early Forbidden which makes an exception from florida. Really that's all I can say.

Forbidden is one of the more melodic Thrash bands. And it's CALIFORNIA NOT FLORIDA.

Bay Area thrash is not as heavy, bearing some similarities to heavy metal, and usually has clean vocals and a sung vocal melody. German thrash has harsh vocals and no vocal melody, with heavier, faster, more aggressive riffs. Brazilian thrash is basically the same style as German thrash, as are bands like Drunkard and Necrodeath. Some Bay Area bands, such as Sadus and Dark Angel, play German style thrash. I prefer German thrash.

Also, the Brazilian scene (of old) was more apt to seemlessly integrate Death Metal and first-wave Black Metal influences not terribly unlike very early Sodom.

Bay Area - Exodus, Heathen, Megadeth
NY - Nuclear Assault, Anthrax, Overkill
German - Kreator, Destruction, Sodom, Exumer, neverendinglistof80millionbands
Brazilian - Sepultura, Holocausto, Sextrash (REFORMED wooooo), Sarcofago, Expulser, Chakal, Mutilator

Dodens Grav said:
Bay Area - Exodus, Heathen, Megadeth
NY - Nuclear Assault, Anthrax, Overkill
German - Kreator, Destruction, Sodom, Exumer, neverendinglistof80millionbands
Brazilian - Sepultura, Holocausto, Sextrash (REFORMED wooooo), Sarcofago, Expulser, Chakal, Mutilator

fair enough, but surely accoding to Pyrus's descriptions, Anthrax would fit more into the Bay Area style (regardless of their location), with their early sound "more closely tied to classic/speed metal"?

Earlier on, to an extent, but they certainly characterize the scene quite well with the thrash breaks and such.

Forbidden has some melodic solos,etc.. "Forbidden Evil" still is intence raw thrash to me anyways.

You need to listen to some intense, raw Thrash. Then you'll see that Forbidden is firmyl cemented in the melodic end of the the Thrash spectrum.

Hit me up. I could use some new thrash.

Stuff I'm into already(so you don't recomend stuff I know)

Forbidden-Forbidden Evil,Twisted Into Form
Sepultura-Beneath The Remains
Slayer-Show No Mercy,Hell Awaits,Reign In Blood,Seasons In The Abyss
Overkill-Horroscope
Metallica-Kill 'Em All
Devastation-Idolatry
Kreator-Plessure To Kill
Sodom-Persecution Mania
Testament-The Legacy
Destruction-Eternal Devastation
Coroner-R.I.P,No More Color
Exhorder-Slaughter in The Vatican

Listen to some of the Brazilian bands I mentioned for some more raw stuff. Intensity is at a maximum with Expulser in particular.

High On Maiden said:
So Bay Area = Exodus, Testament, Overkill, etc?
Yeah. Even though Overkill are from the East Coast, they play Bay Area Style thrash. Ironically, Overkill are my favorite Bay Area style thrash band. They are better than Exodus, Testament, old Metallica, etc.