Elvenking, where do I start?

FatesFan

Dec 18, 2004
Like edgeofthorns on the Amorphis thread, I am a bit lost here. So where should I start? I am sure the newer stuff is less growl oriented. Has there been a change in vocalist or styles over time?

I must admit I have a thing where I have a hard time going backwards in a bands catalog. Strange I know but if the first album I hear from a band is their 4th and they have eight, I can much easier get into 5,6,7,8 vs. going backward into the older stuff. I know it's crazy but it seems that once I hear a more polished and produced version of a band I can't go backwards.

Based on that I guess I should start at the beginning. Most of you know I don’t do growls very well although I am able to tolerate them more now than ever. (Thanks Magius) So is the early stuff too growl laden for a guy like me and are there any “WTF” albums I should skip?

There are no Elvenking albums with excessive growling. I would, however, recommend starting with Heathenreel as well, or The Winter Wake. Once you've heard both of those, go pick up The Scythe. The newer stuff has more growls than the older stuff. There was a change in vocalists for WYRD, and The Scythe is generally considered less folk and more metal based than previous releases. It's definitely the heaviest and darkest album they've released to date.

For a brief (lol) overview: See my post here

As you're tolerating more growls (You're welcome) nothing in the Elvenking discography should be a problem. All of their albums put together have less growls than any one After Forever or Amorphis album. I think Wyrd has a total of 8 growled lines throughout the entire CD.

Some people (nailz) aren't too keen on Wyrd because there was a different singer on the album, which often causes discontent within fan bases. However, Wyrd was the first Elvenking album I bought, so it's fine as far I'm concerned. Very folky, especially in the first half, and almost all clean vox. Being the original singer is back in the band, I don't know how much attention Wyrd gets live.

Heathenreel and The Winter Wake are a bit, if I may use a Pellaz term, "crunchier" that Wyrd. There are more growls, though mostly used for effect rather than the predominant vocal style. These two are folk heavy throughout.

The Scythe is somewhat of a departure from any of the other albums. Like the growls in the previous albums the folk influences are still present in most tracks, but are used for effect rather than the predominant style. Some songs like The Divided Heart are pretty much devoid of folk, and come across more like Nocturnal Rites songs rather than traditional Elvenking tunes. Growls are minimal.

I couldn't stand listening to Heathenreel simply because of the awful album production. The guitarwork seemed good riff-wise, but the tone and audio quality was horrid! Hurt the ears to crank it loud like I usually do all first-listens. Drums sounded like Tupperware containers hit with popsicle sticks.

When I heard The Winter Wake played in the CD store in Chicago, I was almost scared to ask what the disc was! I instantly bought the disc, and it's a favorite of mine in regular rotation all the time. Excellent songwriting, excellent sound, awesome lyrics, great disc. Leaps and bounds better production than Heathenreel. I'm lucky I heard the album in the store, otherwise I woulda just wrote off the band and not cared.

Wyrd is good stuff. I like all their albums. Start anywhere. Their older albums are harder to find. Check amazon.com. Zane sells them for too much.