Nevermore Where do I start?

TGE is much more commercial than Enemies of Reality

WHAT?!!! I don't think so. I mean, it is easier to listen to but that's simply due to production values, and it has nothing to do with commercial appeal. No. No. Aaaaaaaaaaand no. While the remix of Enemies of Reality is better than the other version, I still find Warrel's vocals lost in the mix. Better but not great by any stretch. I just hardly ever see myself trying to listen to that album anymore.

Yeah... I bought the original version last year without reading about it first and have regretted it since. It sounds like it's playing from an AM radio station with poor reception. It's really bad. :erk:

:lol: I remember being really excited when that album came out. Purchased it literally on the release date. I loved the songwriting, but I think you nailed it on the sound. :lol: I think it's the only time that I didn't like a Nevermore album.

Then the re-release came out a few years later, and it sounded as Nevermore should: One of the greatest bands in the entire world.

Yeah, can't really miss with any of their releases. I would tend to avoid Enemies of Reality. Not only did the original master sound disgraceful but I find the songs overbearing as well. The focus seemed to be extreme, everythings fast and heavy but they forgot about memorable on that album.

The standout for me is Dead Heart. This would be my 2nd favourite album of all time (Images and Words is number 1, being the oldschool grumpy prog nut I am). That to me is the perfect metal album. None of the songs suck, no filler. Its fast, slow, heavy, melodic and rippin solo's. Everything a good metal album should have.

Just a question, I find Dreaming Neon Black one of their weakest moments. I just don't get the love for that one. Any opinions on why people like that one so much?

Just a question, I find Dreaming Neon Black one of their weakest moments. I just don't get the love for that one. Any opinions on why people like that one so much?
are you serious????o_O DNB is their BEST Album, not their weakest....

Really nothing we could say to change your opinion, if you've given it ample time to sink in might just not be your thing..whats your favorite? I for one cant stand the s/t or TGE but some people think its their best/top2

Dead Heart without doubt is my favourite. To be honest I was a Sanctuary fan first and read about Warrel and Jim forming Nevermore in the Metal Maniacs news section. The S/T was my favourite until Dead Heart came out years later. When Dreaming Neon came out it just didn't do anything for me. It sounded a fair bit different from the earlier two and suffered from what I see as a really cold, harsh and processed production by Neil Kernon. I'm not particularly into concept albums either. Andy Sneap did wonders for that band IMO.

So I'll rank the albums in order. I'd like to see everyone elses orders too just out of interest...
1. Dead Heart
2. Nevermore
3. Politics
4. Godless
5. Dreaming Neon
6. Enemies....by a country mile.

The latest one is too new for me to judge yet.

For me, it's the softer moments. On all the discs since, the ballads have been these mostly straight forward, unintriguing affairs. Conversely, on Dreaming, the title track, Cenotaph, Forever, are all bleak and mesmerizing. On top of that, I think it it rates as their most original disc, their darkest disc, and Warrel's best vocal performance.

Oh shit you're right. What was I thinking? Consider my opinion changed.

Ahh chill out, I was just giving you crap. :lol:

I don't know, but I think as Zod mentioned, DNB is their most unique release of all. There's a certain sinister atmosphere about the album, not to mention the concept behind it. I really like that disc.

That being said, here's how I rate my Nevermore releases:

1 - Dead Heart in a Dead World
2 - Dreaming Neon Black
3 - This Godless Endeavor
4 - Enemies of Reality
5 - The Politics of Ecstasy
6 - Nevermore

The new album, The Obsidian Conspiracy is a bit too recent for me to really be able to rank it. However, it's a killer disc.

For me, it's the softer moments. On all the discs since, the ballads have been these mostly straight forward, unintriguing affairs. Conversely, on Dreaming, the title track, Cenotaph, Forever, are all bleak and mesmerizing. On top of that, I think it it rates as their most original disc, their darkest disc, and Warrel's best vocal performance.

+ 1. Well typed/spoken, Zod!

What I don't get is the love for DHIADW. Is that just "first album purchased" for most people?

+ 1. Well typed/spoken, Zod!

What I don't get is the love for DHIADW. Is that just "first album purchased" for most people?

I think if you throw someone into Politics of Ecstasy or Enemies of Reality as a first Nevermore experience, it may be a little difficult to "digest" it. I think DHIADW is not only a very strong album (some of the best Nevermore songs are on it), but it's a bit more accessible than the rest in my opinion. Nevermore isn't a power metal band, not a prog metal band, not a thrash metal band. They're very unique, which is wonderful but at the same time, they're not the easiest band to get into at first listen.

For me, I don't find Nevermore's music difficult to digest at all. To be honest, I think they just flat out rock for the most part. Personally, their lyrics have always been a bit too "slit my wrist", but I generally overlook that. I've been listening to both the s/t and Politics over the weekend and thoroughly enjoy both of those early albums. The song, Seven Tongues of God, is crushing! It boarderlines sounding like Pantera, without Phil Anselmo on vox, for me.

~Brian~

I consider it their weakest too. I like Politics the best with Enemies second.

I agree that Dead Heart is a good starting point.

As a side note, I view the lack of commonality in this thread as a testament to the band. One of the things that I feel makes Nevermore who they are, is their ability to alter their sound with each disc, without deviating from the core. This is a very unique characteristic among bands. Most bands, with a very recognizable sound, tend to get caught up within that sound, and their music stagnates as a consequence. Isis and Riverside, in my mind, have both fallen prey to this self-imposed musical confinement. Both are incredibly original. However, both are also so original, that they can't get seem to get away from themselves. Conversely, Politics, Dreaming and Dead Heart, are all drastically different albums, but all distinctly Nevermore.