Nevermore Where do I start?

I don't either. It's got a couple of killer tracks, but 2-4 decent songs won't make an entire album worth listening to.

That's how I personally feel about Godless. When it first came out I was practically shaking with excitement. The problem turned out to be that it has the lowest replay value / fastest decline in listening arc of any of their albums. I still only like the first two tracks, Medicated, and This Godless Endeavor after five years. I recently sat down with it and sat through the whole thing as part of prep for Obsidian and found the other tracks tolerable at best.

As a side note, I view the lack of commonality in this thread as a testament to the band. One of the things that I feel makes Nevermore who they are, is their ability to alter their sound with each disc, without deviating from the core. This is a very unique characteristic among bands. Most bands, with a very recognizable sound, tend to get caught up within that sound, and their music stagnates as a consequence. Isis and Riverside, in my mind, have both fallen prey to this self-imposed musical confinement. Both are incredibly original. However, both are also so original, that they can't get seem to get away from themselves. Conversely, Politics, Dreaming and Dead Heart, are all drastically different albums, but all distinctly Nevermore.
Excellent post.

+ 1. Well typed/spoken, Zod!

What I don't get is the love for DHIADW. Is that just "first album purchased" for most people?

Hmmm... nope, not for me anyway. I had the first 3 first. DhiaDW is just awesome to me. Probbaly my favorite album. As to insights on why... hmmm, no idea.

DNB is second, I think. So good I bought it twice. lol I "lost" my first copy, so after a couple of years, i went ahead and got another one. Needless to say, I found my original copy not long afterwards. :p

To me, Dead Heart has too many tracks that could have been deleted without harming the quality of the album. It would result in a leaner, meaner album that has a stronger impact. Instead, it drags with too much stuff between high points.

As a side note, I view the lack of commonality in this thread as a testament to the band. One of the things that I feel makes Nevermore who they are, is their ability to alter their sound with each disc, without deviating from the core. This is a very unique characteristic among bands. Most bands, with a very recognizable sound, tend to get caught up within that sound, and their music stagnates as a consequence. Isis and Riverside, in my mind, have both fallen prey to this self-imposed musical confinement. Both are incredibly original. However, both are also so original, that they can't get seem to get away from themselves. Conversely, Politics, Dreaming and Dead Heart, are all drastically different albums, but all distinctly Nevermore.

Word. :headbang:

IMO, Warrel's solo disc - "Praises to the War Machine" beats anything Nevermore has done since, "Dead Heart in a Dead World." It's worth checking out:

http://www.myspace.com/warreldane

To my ears, Nevermore has been stagnating since over the past couple of CDs. Their manic brand of thrash and vocals is so distinctive, that over the course of seven studio albums and 10+ years of existence, it's getting near impossible for them to break new ground and produce something I haven't already heard from them (which is why I found Dane's solo disc a very refreshing change from a band that has been predictable for a while now -- still good, but predictable). That observation is true for most bands that survive as long as Nevermore has.

The three essential discs:

1. Dreaming Neon Black
2. The Politics of Ecstasy
3. Dead Heart in a Dead World

I'd buy Enemies of Reality only after you've bought everything else. Compared to their other offerings, it's their worst, by far.

IMO, Warrel's solo disc - "Praises to the War Machine" beats anything Nevermore has done since, "Dead Heart in a Dead World." It's worth checking out:

http://www.myspace.com/warreldane

To my ears, Nevermore has been stagnating since over the past couple of CDs. Their manic brand of thrash and vocals is so distinctive, that over the course of seven studio albums and 10+ years of existence, it's getting near impossible for them to break new ground and produce something I haven't already heard from them (which is why I found Dane's solo disc a very refreshing change from a band that has been predictable for a while now -- still good, but predictable). That observation is true for most bands that survive as long as Nevermore has.

The three essential discs:

1. Dreaming Neon Black
2. The Politics of Ecstasy
3. Dead Heart in a Dead World

I'd buy Enemies of Reality only after you've bought everything else. Compared to their other offerings, it's their worst, by far.

Eh. I don't know. I liked Warrel's disc don't get me wrong, but it was a mixed bag for me. Some were great, some sucked and some were just okay.

I've been a fan since the first Sanctuary album, and as I've stated several times on this board - DHIADW is in my top 10 albums of all time. It's all about dynamics, from the vocals to the guitars to the compositions its got everything, and Dreaming Neon Black comes in second by the slightest of hairs -again, well-constructed dynamics. I'm still digesting the new album and can't place it in the list yet (its too new) but its going to end up pretty damn high I can tell, that said, here's my ranking sans The Obsidian Conspiracy:

DHIADW
DNB
TGE
S/T
EOR
In Memory EP
Politics

I do like Politics but find it a bit too weighty and self-indulgent to be a true representation of the band, hence, it falls in last for me...have fun!

So I picked up the new disc, Obsidian Conspiracy and Dead Heart in a Dead World. I listened to both today and prefer the new album by far. Dead Heart was so depressing and did not capture me like Obsidian Conspiracy.
I won't be surprised if the new disc captures new fans. It's a bit of a style change, and with such changes comes an evolution of the fan base.

Production-wise the new Nevermore is a lot like Dane's solo album, possibly because both albums were produced by Wichers. Also, the new one has a lot more vocals and fewer complex guitar parts. It's a fantastic record, but I still like This Godless Endeavor slightly better. And Dreaming Neon Black is still my favourite Nevermore.