EMG's to Blackouts...

Yeah, a lot of people here give it the old small town 'this place is hell' shit, but I like it. Pretty laid back and friendly.

Wouldn't the 81x be warmer/more organic?

No, for me it`s like 81, but only weaker
My experience too.

Less compressed? Maybe. Lower output, treblier, bassier, less saturated and with less focused mids.

VERY subtle difference, IMO. Not worth it if you're going to change stock 81's out.

I replaced an 81X with an 81 in my Prestige. I actually just posted a comparison clip today.

So the tone knob on my EMG loaded guitar would be rendered useless with the Blackouts am I right? Does this pose a problem to any of you?

So the tone knob on my EMG loaded guitar would be rendered useless with the Blackouts am I right? Does this pose a problem to any of you?
Why? It should work. I used to have such setup, but don`t remember how passive tone worked :)

Active tone from EMG X-series (EMG VLPF) worked... but it limits blackout output to EMGs level and eats battery, battery consumption several times greater than pickups itself.
It worth to mention that blackouts have more current consumption, Ahb-1 has 350 micro-amperes while typical EMG consumes 80 (on 18 V consumption should be twice greater), EMG VLPF has current consumption of 980 micro-amperes :)

Black outs have arrived!

Now...This is my first time restringing using locking tuners...How much slack do you need for this? I have heard some say none and some say a few millimeters...Thoughts?

Shit! Looks like my guitar is not set up for quick connect! It's a 2008 model, would that have anything to do with it?

99928A9E-BBAD-4C93-883F-27EA3A2711A9-3995-000003336D632E29_zps585bfa57.jpg

Just remove foam, there should be connector, EMG without connectors produced long ago (before 2000), modern version should come with connector.

Just remove foam, there should be connector, EMG without connectors produced long ago (before 2000), modern version should come with connector.

Cool got it! Now what do I do about the foam and spring? Should I cut them off the 81-7 and use them to bed the new pick up?

Ok think its hooked up right now! Didn't end up putting a spring in to support it just cut some foam padding to size. Now to restring!

I've never tried blackouts but I can't help but feel that people are exaggerating quite a bit.

They sound pretty good in this clip for example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyGnzbFv4xE

Well, he's comparing a 707, not an 81-7.
I would use a 707 as a neck pickup only.

If he would've used a 81-7, it would sound even more tight and clear than the Blackouts. That's the whole point why EMG still wins in my opinion.

Well, he's comparing a 707, not an 81-7.
I would use a 707 as a neck pickup only.

If he would've used a 81-7, it would sound even more tight and clear than the Blackouts. That's the whole point why EMG still wins in my opinion.

The original poster was debating between 707 and blackouts though...so...

Also, I never said that blackouts are better than EMGs, just that the blackouts don't sound as bad as some of the other posters claimed. Although, to be fair, in the clip I posted the pickups used were blackouts EMTY which I suppose are different than regular blackouts.

I have an SC607b and I have commented along the same lines as the OP regarding the sound on other threds. I think there are advantages to the crisp tight sound but I am getting a Schecter ATX C7 soon which has 2 SD Blackouts so I will have a little fun and swap the pickups around in the bridge position to see what different it makes.

FWIW, someone was selling an SC607b on ebay uk with which they swapped out the 81-7s to Blackouts and commented that it made a vast improvement but that was just their opinion. It does seem to have logic to it, however, alder is used on the 607b, which should produce a bright tone so you have bright wood with a bright pick up. Also, I have read on the Sneap forum comments by informed posters (Ermz) that 81-7s were not their favourite 7 string pick up and not a 7 string version of an 81 sound wise. See here...

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/backline/878357-how-do-emg-81s-take-lower-tunings.html

So far as the ATX, blackouts with mahogany, (dark pick up sound, dark wood sound) so same logic applies in reverse I guess and swapping them might even up the sound between the two axes, make them sound better but then again, it might make them suck! either way, I look forward to swapping the pick ups out just for something to mess about with!

Blackouts are cool if you have a "light" guitar. I've tried them on a mahogany schecter and the sound was awfull... bassy and not defined at all.
I've also reamped some Blackout DI's and they suck so much.

Was a bit surprised to read so many negative opinions on Blackouts. I personally liked them much more then EMG's (which I dislike in most cases. I highly prefer passives).
Here's my clip with Blackouts, and I totally loved their behaviour, when installed on a "bassy" guitar. Much more feel then with 81's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blackouts are cool if you have a "light" guitar. I've tried them on a mahogany schecter and the sound was awfull... bassy and not defined at all.
I've also reamped some Blackout DI's and they suck so much.

This was my experience pretty much 100%. Hated them. Bloaty, fizzy, not very toneful. Switched back to EMG's - night and day. EMG's were just so much clearer and more manageable.

What I don't like about blackouts is that they want to sound like EMGs while supposedly preserving that passive vibe (only the cleans sound kinda passive) which gives the "best of both worlds" but it is actually in between them, not as punchy and clear as the EMGs and not as passive as a real passive meaning you get a "want to emg" and a "want to SD high gain passive" and that sucks. That's in my experience but it's not that they can't sound good, as long as they're in a cool sounding guitar it's going to sound okay.

This was my experience pretty much 100%. Hated them. Bloaty, fizzy, not very toneful. Switched back to EMG's - night and day. EMG's were just so much clearer and more manageable.

Agreed completely, but the Mick Thompson EMTY Blackouts seem to be a big improvement, so I'm curious to try them out!

Last edited by a moderator: