Emo and goth to be made illegal in Russia

SocialNumb

Damn Christians!
Aug 15, 2006
Boyton, WPB, FL
"The Russian government is in the process of drafting a law to make emo and goth music illegal.

Last month a parliamentary committee was convened to discuss a draft proposal of the Russian government's Government Strategy In The Sphere Of Spiritual And Ethical Education bill, the details of which were leaked to The Moscow Times. The newspaper subsequently reported that, among other things, the draft bill dubbed the musical movements a "dangerous teen trend" and called for emo and goth websites to be regulated and young people dressing like emos or goths to be banned from entering schools and government buildings.

The newspaper interviewed one of the bill's authors, Igor Ponkin from the Russian Interior Ministry's Public Oversight Council. Ponkin called emo a "social danger" and "a threat to national stability" and said the bill is a reaction to teen suicides such as the tragic death of British teenager Hannah Bond.

"This type of behaviour is a crucial part of emo ideology," said Ponkin. "Of course there are emo teens who just listen to their music. But our actions are not directed at them but rather at those who also hurt themselves, commit suicide and promote those acts."

The Moscow Times also interviewed psychologist Inna Cherkova who said:

"Suicide is not a symptom of emo culture. I work with other teens too, and every group has emotionally troubled kids."

However, the bill is expected to become law in Russia before the end of the year."

http://www2.kerrang.com/2008/07/emo_and_goth_to_be_made_illega.html
:rolleyes:

I find it repulsive personally. Honestly I have 0 interaction with either emo or goth people. Looking at them and listening to the music, (who admit or who are claimed to be) I can't say it's justified to ban an entire genre of music. Unless I'm missing something? What are these kids attacking people in the daylight? I'm pretty ignorant to the emo and goth ways. However I have seen some sexy goths and emo girls online.

Edit: Hmm, I'm thinking what will be the criteria on judging what is branded emo or goth music and style? Please fill me in so I can see those dangerous motherfuckers coming before they get me!

Edit 2: In Riviera beach, fl. they banned "sagging" your pants. Some 3 times warning deal, I don't know the specifics. Admittedly I think it's pretty stupid looking but I'm not offended by it.

Offense really isn't the issue here (fortunately/unfortunately), the issue is trying to solve a problem. Namely suicide and/or self abuse. For some reason the entire world is focus on Dark Age of symptomatic curing. Get rid of the symptoms, get rid of the problem thought process. It just don't work.

I've met emo kids on the verge of suicide and I've met emo kids who did nothing but hug people all day. Same with goths. As opposed to it as emos and goths are, it is a cultural trend that does not necessarily reflect the internal intentions and heart matters that a particular person is facing. However for whatever reason the emos and goths in Russia all have the same theology and doctrine and personal beliefs in suicide and/or self abuse and it's a granted that if they were black and whine alot and they're gonna kill themselves, banning the externals wouldn't be the best option but it would deter those not fully engraved within said subculture and prevent others from joining them.

Or we could nuke Russia and solve this whole issue.

Jesus christ, this is terrifying! I mean the censorship of art is like the ultimate example of a totalitarian regime, I thought Russia had grown beyond that...

And I'd watch the nuke Russia joking, we've got a few cool Russians on this board actually! :kickass:

ahaah guys
im from russia) never heard about that - looks like a silly joke - you know that shit called - human rights?HEHE

i think its a joke. if not i would knew that)

This is horrible. My first thoughts when reading this were of Shostakovich. Granted that was another time and another government.

apparently they killed tchaikovsky because he was a homosexual, which people were getting executed for back then. he supposedly caught typhoid accidently by drinking out of the glass of his sick friend in a hospital, although he was told by the nurse not to drink the water. someone also noticed that he was being closely followed by two 'suspicious' looking men that were thought to have been with the gvt. i haven't double checked whether this is true but it was told to me by my history of western music, who definitely knew his shit.

i little bit not true - Cholera killed tchaikovsky...
he went from an concert - and really wanted to drink - he knew about cholera epidemy that was at that time... but he drunk that water...

and yeah - he was a gay

i little bit not true - Cholera killed tchaikovsky...
he went from an concert - and really wanted to drink - he knew about cholera epidemy that was at that time... but he drunk that water...

and yeah - he was a gay

which is why some theorize that it was possibly a suicide also.

I have a book called "the lives of the great composers" when you read about alot of them, you realize they all were a little crazy...lol