Anti Emo Riots in Mexico

nailz

Nov 11, 2002
San Francisco
Visit site
You know, I hate emo kids. I can't stand the culture, the look, or the bands. I always have said stuff like this would be hilarious, but when it crosses that threshold of fantasy to reality, it's sickening. Especially when the article specifically sites "Metalheads" numerously. I thought we were a better lot. :<

Riot police have taken to the streets of several cities in Mexico to ... defend emo kids?

A series of attacks on dyed-hair, eye-makeup-wearing emo kids began in early March when several hundred people went on an emo-beating rampage in Querétaro, a town of 1.5 million about 160 miles north of Mexico City.
The next week, shaggy-haired emo teenagers were harassed again by punks and rockabillys in the capital, prompting police protection and a segment on the TV news. Most recently, a Mexican newspaper reported that metal heads and gangsters have warned Tijuana's emo kids to stay away from the town's fair next month.

http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2008/03/anti-emo-riots.html

That is pretty messed up. I don't like the whole emo thing either but people ought to just leave these kids alone. I was at a show (can't recall the specific one unfortunately) whose line-up brought together emo fans and metal fans and I actually saw some metal guys trying to start fights with some of the emo kids. Ridiculous. Shit like that really crosses the line as far as I'm concerned.

What the hell is an "Emo Kid"? Seriously, I'm clueless on this.

They're those annoying kids what wear pants that are way too tight (typically with the guys wearing women's pants), Converse shoes (Chuck's), hair cut to an indecisive length (often dyed black), with too many bracelets on et al :lol:

I find the look pretty hilarious, but this kind of crap is totally unwarranted.

the local music scene around here is crawling with an emo infestation, we have actually had to deal with Emo/hardcore kids making fun of Eclipsed By Sanity because we play metal with vocals you can understand, and content that does not include self-mutilation and/or how sucky our lives are.

I honestly hate it, but I've never acted on the urge to go harass one of them regardless of what they say about my vocals or my band. Besides...as fragile as these kids look I'd probably do more damage than I meant to.

What the hell is an "Emo Kid"? Seriously, I'm clueless on this.

girls-emo-haircut.jpg

It would seem the Punks have decided to eat their young. Emo is after all an effeminate version of punk akin to the New Wave movement in the 80's. I don't see much difference between these kids and Boy George or the members or A Flock of Seagulls.

It would seem the Punks have decided to eat their young. Emo is after all an effeminate version of punk akin to the New Wave movement in the 80's. I don't see much difference between these kids and Boy George or the members or A Flock of Seagulls.

the New Wave movement had better music.

the New Wave movement had better music.

X2. It is funny, though when sreamo bands end up on tours with heavy bands (death metal). You get to see the screamo kids doing their kicks in the pit right before some behemoth runs them over!!! That being said, I guess I'm just old, because we all did the same kinda thing. We used to wear some stupid S*#& in the 80's. But echoing the quote-the music was better!!!

X2. It is funny, though when sreamo bands end up on tours with heavy bands (death metal). You get to see the screamo kids doing their kicks in the pit right before some behemoth runs them over!!! That being said, I guess I'm just old, because we all did the same kinda thing. We used to wear some stupid S*#& in the 80's. But echoing the quote-the music was better!!!

As much as I make fun of it, the karate dancing is actually really, really fun to do in the pit.