Emperor.....

Pierogi

Stoopid Bastardo
Nov 5, 2001
London
Listening to my latest Emperor purchase 'Anthems...' and being the proud owner of '... Live Ceremony', 'IX...' and 'The Discipline...' I do not feel that Emperor really is Black Metal. For me emperor is just too pretty and too relaxing, i've fallen to sleep to emperor a few times. However, its only when listening on headphones that i find the music relaxing which is strange.

And also i've realised that emperor without keyboards which are really simple would be crap, in fact not only the keyboards are simple but the other instruments too aren't too complicated, which makes me think about how good the composition is. >>Ihsahn is a really good composer<<

Something that I think Ihsahn should do is classical music (not necesarily using many instruments) with extremish guitars rumbling away in the background

[glad i got that out my system]

Ihsahn dose write very well. I have one question, how much of the music is writen by the rest of the band other than the drum parts. I think that Emperor were right to split when they did otherwise they would have gone the way of all other black metal bands at this time. After Slipknot these little people who think they know about metal seem to be going onto black metal and that would be a very bad thing.

Well if the intro to "the eruption" doesn't convince you Isahn is a very good composer you're simply too blind or musically ignorant to realize it.

Real black metal was never about being technical or complex. It was about atmosphere and image and feeling.

By the way "In The Nightside Eclipse" is black metal. all others are not, I'm sure most will agree with me.

I have a pretty broad concept of black metal, I'd call everything they've done BM, just because it's more that than anything else.

Originally posted by Pierogi
I do not feel that Emperor really is Black Metal... i've fallen to sleep to emperor a few times.

So, because you've fallen asleep to it, it isn't black metal? I've fallen asleep to "Transylvanian Hunger" many times. BM -should- put people to sleep. It's repetitive. It's droning. It's like being hypnotized.

Originally posted by Sulphur Rose
how much of the music is writen by the rest of the band other than the drum parts.
Samoth wrote the more death metal-sounding riffs apparently, but I'm not sure how much input he had. He had none on the last one.
Originally posted by Sulphur Rose
After Slipknot these little people who think they know about metal seem to be going onto black metal and that would be a very bad thing.
Why? I sincerely hope that Slipknot fans will one day discover some good metal bands ;)

Something that I think Ihsahn should do is classical music (not necesarily using many instruments) with extremish guitars rumbling away in the background

Funny that you should mention such a thing....check out Thou Shalt Suffer - Somnium. It's a "classical/keyboard oriented album created by Ihsahn. No heavy guitars but very atmospheric.

I'm sorry, I just don't get what this Emperor thing is.
I've read lots of good reviews on them & always hear people ranting about them. All they are is static.
I never here any rythym or melody in the static, although I haven't heard many songs (but more than 1). Are there any particular "songs" that are actually songs?

Originally posted by Elysian Blaze
So, because you've fallen asleep to it, it isn't black metal? I've fallen asleep to "Transylvanian Hunger" many times. BM -should- put people to sleep. It's repetitive. It's droning. It's like being hypnotized.

Uhh, since when? Venom or early Bathory, the culminations of black metal, aren't really that droning or repetitive.