Ihsahn and Emperor

Lietuvis

Dec 2, 2005
Tempe, AZ and Vilnius, Lithuania
I just listened to samples from Ihsahn's new solo-album, "The Adversary", and I liked what I heard quite a bit...

Are there any Emperor albums similar to this type of music? The only material that I have by Emperor is "Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk"... perhaps their newer works are similar to this album by Ihsahn? Please give me some recommendations... it's pretty heavily influenced by classical music.

If you like his solo stuff then get the last Emperor album "Prometheus the discipline of fire and demise" it sounds similar in style, also get "9 Equilibrium". Ihsahn also has a classical music project called "Thou shalt suffer" the name of the album is "Somnium."

NicholasDWolfwood said:
Prometheus: The Discipline Of Fire And Demise and IX Equilibrium are both similar to Ihsahn's solo stuff

all emperor is a bit more "wicked" than the solo ihsahn record. however the last 2 emperor releases seem to be the more extreme lead-up to the solo record, so i imagine youll enjoy those too.

Moonlapse said:
I didn't like the samples from Ihsahn's new record. I've felt everything he's done since Emperor has paled in comparison to 'Prometheus'.

LOL, you expected fucking peccatum to be better than prometheus? no wonder you were so dissapointed. :rolleyes:

as for the solo record, its quite good and interesting...nor do i think he was trying to outdo any of his emperor work...probably intentionally.

I think it's better than anything Emperor has ever done, even though I will be assassinated for that statement.

It is top notch all the way through, the best release so far this year.

Hahahahahaha...

Well, it's about what I expected, which was somewhat of a combination of Prometheus and the heavy parts in Peccatum. It leaked a while ago, but I haven't gotten around to the whole thing yet. The riffing in the samples didn't catch me as that interesting, but we'll see how the whole fares.

Pate said:
I think it's better than anything Emperor has ever done, even though I will be assassinated for that statement.

It is top notch all the way through, the best release so far this year.

wow, incorrect on all acounts, but thats cool. flaming disengage.

you know, i'll say this first, i'm not much into black metal, and i really don't like emperor, but that isn't to say that i don't respect ihsahn's ability as a musician (i happen to think he's amazing) and from what i heard opf the adversary, it's interesting with the changes in styles. all in all, i don't know if i'd buy it, but i will give credit where it's due.

the samples of Adversary don't do the album any justice at all. Ihsahn has created a masterpiece this time around. The song with Garm is just brilliant. This is post avantgarde black metal and some parts are similar to Arcturus due to the piano work....

affinityband said:
I love Peccatum, Lost in reverie i thought was a fantastic album and flows really really well. I enjoy Promethus more. But Peccatum is way more daring than Emperor ever was. I appreciate that sort of thing.

do you even THINK that peccatum would have taken ANY of the "Daring" attempts it did without ihsahn making such a name for himself before hand? its called playing it safe. emperors worst day > peccatums best day. jesus christ.

Peccatum is indeed very underrated among Emperor-lunatics it seems. It's just another kind of music and there is no need to compare the two. Of course one can tell whether he likes Peccatum or Emperor more but from an analytic point of view it's an irrelevant comparison.

As for 'The Adversary', I think it's a good record. Nothing groundbreaking but solid and well enjoyable work from a creative mind!

I doenloaded the album a few weeks ago, it's pretty good. I'll definately be picking it up.

And I'm seeing Emperor in NYC :D