Emperor.....

I dont classify Emperor as black metal, they are just too damn...i dont know..weird?
for example Ishahn, he doesnt have the standard scheechy black metal growl, hell i dont think what he does can even be classified as a growl...

anyways: Emperor fucking OWNS!

Originally posted by ControlledChaos
Well if the intro to "the eruption" doesn't convince you Isahn is a very good composer you're simply too blind or musically ignorant to realize it.
What the fuck is this crap? No need to insult people because they haven't got the same opinion as you! Should I call you a fucking retarded fuckhead who doesn't have a clue about music just because you don't like The Corrs? No, I think not!:rolleyes:
I agree with the guy who said that everything they've done is black metal! I don't see why it shouldn't be black metal just because it doesn't sound like Bathory or Darkthrone. Burzum's old records doesn't sound like those two bands either, but that doesn't mean that it's not black metal! Is there some sort of rulebook for how black metal should sound?

For fans of the symphonic 'Opus A Satana', check out 'Thus March the Nighspirit', which is a symphonic version of the Anthems track, 'Thus Spake the Nighspirit' found on the 'Thorns vs Emperor' album. Great stuff.

And for those who suggest Emperor isn't black metal, try putting on 'Wrath of the Tyrant', 'In the Nightside Eclipse' and 'Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk' and tell me they aren't black metal! They're not only black metal, they're amazing black metal!!!

Seems there's an Emperor thread here every couple of weeks. Usually ends up being the same argument, too. Well, black metal, they are and own, they do. Still. They have an interesting history as well, sometimes I wonder how their records would have progressed in sound if people like Faust and Mortiis had still been with the band over the years..

and Nightside is still my favorite:

lp.jpg

-iz

"What the fuck is this crap? No need to insult people because they haven't got the same opinion as you! Should I call you a fucking retarded fuckhead who doesn't have a clue about music just because you don't like The Corrs? No, I think not! "

Well sir, perhaps I shouldn't have called names, but it goes beyond opinion and you failed to recognize it. That composition is done in an almost baroque contrapuntal composing style with theme, imitation, countersubject, episodes, and stretto.

The amount of attention to detail and caring for the music that takes is beyond many many of the metal bands out there. Now while I'm not emperor's biggest fan and I don't think Isahn is God, the mere fact that he wrote that little intro says 400% more about his musical knowledge and talent then most of the emperor songs.

Booya.

Originally posted by Izual
They have an interesting history as well, sometimes I wonder how their records would have progressed in sound if people like Faust and Mortiis had still been with the band over the years..

They wouldn't have progressed. More than likely each album would have been the same old shit like 90% of black metal is. They, along with a few others, rose up and actually became a good band. Can't say that for the majority of the others.

Well sir, perhaps I shouldn't have called names, but it goes beyond opinion and you failed to recognize it. That composition is done in an almost baroque contrapuntal composing style with theme, imitation, countersubject, episodes, and stretto.

Im not gonna act like i know what your talking about here, because i dont, you lost me after 'baroque'. But i am interested in it, so please elaborate on what 'contrapuntal composing style with theme, immitation, countersubject, episodes, and stretto.' is. :confused:

Originally posted by ControlledChaos
That composition is done in an almost baroque contrapuntal composing style with theme, imitation, countersubject, episodes, and stretto.

The harpsicord sound used in "Eruption" is very baroque, and the way the guitar enters and follows the same melody right into the first main riff works beautifully. Not to mention their use of counterpoint guitar work over the years, although lots of black metal bands have done this well (Dissection, Taake, Sacramentum, etc...)

-iz

Dissection and Taake being two of the other great black metal bands, though... so it's not too common a thing.

Originally posted by phon1c
What IS counterpoint harmony?

It's basically two or more guitar lines played together that create harmonic melody. I say guitar "lines" cuz in the case of black metal, you often hear fast picking of single note (sometimes two note) melodies serving as the "riffs" in a song; with two guitars playing different lines together, they create either noise or harmony. If written well and by someone who understands the relationships between the notes used, it can sound awesome. You notice it more when listening to the above mentioned bands in headphones, since the common mix is to have one guitar panned left and one right. The CD "Bjoergvin" by Taake is brilliantly written in this counterpoint style.

Counterpoint itself is very old and began in early medieval choral music (chant/church music) where there are several singers who each can obviously only sing one note at a time, and their individual vocal parts sung together create chord progressions.

uh, that was the short answer i think..

-iz

Originally posted by phon1c
So counterpoint is basically another term for harmony?

mm, sort of. It's just a term for the style of writing, and it's usually only used when referring to classical or choral music. Harmony is the end result of music written in a counterpoint style (or most styles, for that matter).

-iz

Originally posted by Desolatory
is there anywhere you could learn these note relationships? literature internet sites or anything like that?

If you're a guitarist, just study your CDs. Listen closely in headphones to what the individual guitars are doing and how they play off each other. Not sure what your music collection consists of, but you probably hear it all the time, even in Opeth's music. If what you hear requires two distinct guitars playing different notes and melodies to create (and it sounds cool), this is what you're looking for. Morbid Angel do this a LOT. Constrast it to something like Pantera where all you hear is multiple guitar tracks playing the exact same riff layered several times to make it sound heavier..

-iz