Emperor.....

*cracks knuckles*

"Im not gonna act like i know what your talking about here, because i dont, you lost me after 'baroque'. But i am interested in it, so please elaborate on what 'contrapuntal composing style with theme, immitation, countersubject, episodes, and stretto.' is"

Ok here goes.

Baroque (maybe you knew this) = period of classical music approx. 1600-1730 or so. Factors of baroque music include contrapuntal composing and lots and lots of polyphony. (more than one important voice, usually harmonies were made of these intersecting melodic lines.)

COUNTERPOINT is simply a countersubject. In for example, any fugue, a theme is stated and then repeated as either a real or tonal "answer" in another voice (polyphony comes in.) Never mind about real and tonal answers. What the first voice plays as this new voice enters is the COUNTERSUJECT or COUNTERPOINT.
Then as each voice enters and continues to go on, themes are restated with variations or many sorts, which I will not go into. This writing style is contrapuntal composition. There is more to contrupuntal style than what I said but that's a broad overview.

imitation would be a "tonal" answer to the theme. meaning, the theme is repeated in a different key. countersubject i explained. episode is a section in a fugue where the theme is not being played and all voices are continuing on using sequences etc. (nevermind) as part of the modulating. (note: this would be the DEVELOPMENT section of a fugue). Stretto is a section of a fugue or contrapuntal piece where one or more voices begin stating the theme before the preceding voice is done playing the theme, so themes overlap. sort of like very complex singing in rounds.

Any other questions? :)

you're living in the past stinkfist. those albums WERE black metal, but try to say that emperor hasn't moved beyond in the nightside eclipse.

Ok... i think i get a fair bit of that, today ive learnt alot, but ive also found out there is a hell of alot i dont know. But thats all good, because now i have something to study :D. Thank you both for your answers.*goes off and scrutinizes music collection*

To me, at least, any style of metal that is very epic, dark, ominous, with the use of black metal vocals somewhere is black metal.

I classify Emperor as black metal, whether it be new or old.

I classify Dimmu Borgir as black metal, whether it be new or old.

I don't worry over what the elitists think.

Emperor is awesome, particularly everything post- "Nightside..." they recorded. Although I can't seem to say I've fallen asleep to them. But I have fallen asleep to Nile and Zyklon before. Strange.