Emptiness Unobstructed

Sentient 6

harmless parasite
Jan 16, 2006
everywhere yet nowhere
I don't usually like to explain lyrics but I think I should with this song. I have a close friend, her son killed himself. He came to work one day and smashed all the computer screens in his office and jumped out of a window. He was mentally unbalanced. He was a great musician, Jeff actually gave him guitar lessons when he was a kid. The lyrics are about someone who is asking to go to heaven but questions if it is real or nonexistent. He used to talk about going to the southern shore...RIP Jimmy....

I live on the southern shore right now and we are covered with oil.

EDIT: but great song, nonetheless

Warrel....it's brilliant. I'm sorry for the loss. But hey, it's a great song on a great album. One of Nevermores best, easily.

Maybe this explains why Jeff chose to just have a powerchord fueled chorus with no palm muting.

Thanks for the insight Warrel - I know your stance on interpretation, but it is nice to get a look inside of you like this.

I love these lyrics and how they are sung:

Here we are again in this simple valley of deception
Where does it go
Is it swimming against the flow
Or does no one ever know
Destiny, tranquility, validity of soul

I understand and respect the fact that you don't like to explain your lyrics... but, even with the shitty circumstances surrounding this song, I appreciated reading your thoughts behind it. The insight gives me a whole new view on an already awesome tune. A lyrical breakdown for this album would be cool. I can't stop playing this disc from front to back. Just a great piece of work and an emotional roller-coaster ride for me.

I really love this song, Warrel..It gets stuck in my head all the time. I felt like it was about a person who wants to end it all because the world is a fucking mess, but it has this uplifting, driving sound to it. Thank you for sharing its meaning.

I really love this song, Warrel..It gets stuck in my head all the time. I felt like it was about a person who wants to end it all because the world is a fucking mess, but it has this uplifting, driving sound to it. Thank you for sharing its meaning.

Indeed! In spite of the respective source of inspiration for the lyrics, that song can feel very uplifting. NM always manage to create pieces with contradictory elements which somehow still give wholeness,force and unity and to their songs.

Warrel, you should think about maybe putting out a book in the future with explanations and background info to assorted songs.

Yes, you said you usually don't like to explain lyrics and I can wholeheartedly relate to that, especially with very personal lyrics. The obscurity and abstractness of heavy metaphors is like a wall guarding most private thoughts and emotions. The ones one doesn't want to become a public subject.

Yet at the same time, these metaphors have a non-binding nature that allows these most private feelings to be communicated in a way that the recipient has to construct a meaning on his own. As Jerry Cantrell put it: "Whatever you think it means to you, it does mean.". Adding so much more to it than the initial idea, in a beautiful way.

However, some stories, some lives, some thoughts etc. are meant to be told, because they deserve to not drown in the obscurity of metaphors. The story of Jimmy certainly did and we are thankful to be able to participate because now this song will have a different significance for all of us.

And I have a feeling that there are oh so many songs throughout the back-catalogue, whose stories deserve to be told in a similar fashion.

Just some thoughts...