End of September - Female fronted modern metal

this is in no way a knock on Fire breath, but I'm wondering when women will simply be accepted in metal as just a member of a band and not female fronted or whatever. It's like here in America people always want to point out the "black guy" in some situation rather than just saying "the guy", you notice it in the media alot. I just wonder if there ever will come a time when people are measured on their merits rather than gender or race or whatever. I understand that when there are only a few of a certain type of people in something it sets them apart like a white rapper, a female or black metal singer, but when does it become accepting and no longer a novelity? Hasn't happened in human history so I doubt it will any time soon, but expect for a small minded minority, I have always found metalheads to be more inclusive and above these things than the norm, so if it happens anywhere it will be in metal first.

this is in no way a knock on Fire breath, but I'm wondering when women will simply be accepted in metal as just a member of a band and not female fronted or whatever. It's like here in America people always want to point out the "black guy" in some situation rather than just saying "the guy", you notice it in the media alot. I just wonder if there ever will come a time when people are measured on their merits rather than gender or race or whatever. I understand that when there are only a few of a certain type of people in something it sets them apart like a white rapper, a female or black metal singer, but when does it become accepting and no longer a novelity? Hasn't happened in human history so I doubt it will any time soon, but expect for a small minded minority, I have always found metalheads to be more inclusive and above these things than the norm, so if it happens anywhere it will be in metal first.

I was noting they have a female vocalist more as a pseudo-genre description than anything else. If they had a female bassist, I likely never would have mentioned her. :)

ugly, brutish male fronted death metal
And that would differentiate itself from the rest of the death metal genre how? :Smug:

Women tend to have a certain tenor or character to their voices that most male singers don't have. Some of us like that, so it's nice to know right away with a quick description of a bands sound qualities. People over-classify band's sounds in metal all the time. No one get up in arms when someone sites their band as being "Epic, Symphonic Melodic Power Metal with Progressive touches" or some other ridiculously lengthy description. The female voice is just another element of the description of certain band's sounds.

My only reason for mentioning whether a band has a female singer or not is that it is an immediate indication of the vocal type involved as the poster above mentioned. Some people hate female vocal bands and some like it a lot and actively seek out bands fronted by the ladeez. If you know right away then you know whether you need to investigate or not. If I just write Melodic symphonic goth band and then some crackpot plays it and hears the female voice they'll soon be coming back with that chick is lame why the hell didn't you tell us to stop me wasting my time. That's it really!

Some people hate female vocal bands and some like it a lot and actively seek out bands fronted by the ladeez.
I'm one of those folks that actively seek them out 'cause I do love many female vocalist. Admitedly, I wouldn't have read this post if it had simply said "modern metal" and wasn't targeted with the "female fronted" description. Although after years of persuing and hearing so many female fronted bands (particularly metal bands), I have also come to be a lot more critical of female metal singers and the bands/musicians with whom they work. I sort of have to be because there is so much of it out there these days. I certainly gravitate towards bands with female vocalists, but that doesn't necessarily mean that I'm automatically going love every band with a female singer.

I got the same way with power metal after awhile. I realized that while I still love power metal, I don't have to love every power metal band. Some bands make music that continues to sound fresh and new, and some bands just make music that sounds like everything else that's already out there. I'm pretty sure this happens in every style of music.

The medley on youtube sounds pretty cool. Her voice is nice and there seems to be a decent sense of melody. The production is fat and the riffs are very modern with a tiny slight metalcore edge. One for the Lacuna Coil crowd. Out in May.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgOvMJehTzs&feature=youtu.be

Personally, I'd liken this much more to Delain or Lullacry than Lacuna Coil, it has a more "pop metal" (for lack of a better term) feel about it, not as heavy as Lacuna Coil. And I don't like it as much as either Delain or Lullacry. It isn't bad, but nothing special for me. The beginning of the sampler was pretty strong, but the later songs didn't really do much for me. While the musicians and singer are obviously competent, I didn't hear anything truly unique that really made this band stand out to my ears.